Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

The Sarge

The tower defence stuff hasn't been an issue at all yet, essentially you only need to do the tutorial. As long as you stay on top of your notoriety, which happens quite naturally as you're wandering around, you'll never have to do any more.

This is my favourite in the series.

What about the missions, though? I thought they were particularly uninspiring this time. The opening chariot sequence is flat-out terrible, and there's quite a bit of obvious filler, especially in the later game. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad some are enjoying it, but I'm also genuinely quite surprised some would put it above ACII or Brotherhood. Few could love those games much more than I did (heck ACII remains the one game I've ever bothered to 1000G) but this really didn't do it for me. The narrative and linear Uncharted-y bits: great. Bombs? Quite fun, but not the game-changer Ubi would have you believe. The hookshot? Ziplines are fun, but otherwise it just adds a few inches to your reach. Everything else? A bit of a let-down for me.

I think the mechanics have finally come together, and they've built a city that is natural and fun to navigate. ACII was too spread out for my liking, and Brotherhood had just a little too much filler, Revelations gets a nice balance between size and content.

I'm only 50-75% thought at a guess, so things may take a turn for the worse but I think it's been excellent. I mentioned earlier I didn't like the first hour, but once that's out the way it's superb.

Well I figured out the recruitment business which disguised itself on the map as the next memory sequence. Thankfully so far I've managed, as lilman says, to keep my notoriety at a low enough level to not be bothered with any bollocks defence missions.

My main complaint is the frequent stupidity of Ezio... killing the wrong person, jumping in completely the wrong direction. Last night I was running through the streets and tried to squeeze between a bunch of people and some scaffold. Normally I just shoulder barge them out of the way but oh no, Ezio decides to unleash his hookblade and bring the scaffold crashing down onto half a dozen civvies. Too many innocents killed - desynchronised. What a load of guff.

The biggest compliment I can pay the Assassins Creed series, is that I never EVER tire of getting in a fight. Some of the executions are brutal now :)

I like the combat but playing this immediately after Batman it really suffers in comparison.

I like the combat but playing this immediately after Batman it really suffers in comparison.

And there it is, the biggest problem with Revelations is something that they couldnt do anything about... the quality of Arkham City.

Dont get me wrong, I love the game and have loved all the AC titles but this one just feels like an expansion pack for everything they laid down in Brotherhood. They have even removed stuff and made the overal game world smaller. Sure, the horse stuff in Brotherhood wasnt the best but it would have been good to have the option rather than having it stripped completely from the game.

Brotherhood was the biggest leap forward for the AC games and blew me away but there just isnt the same feeling with Revelations, because so little has actually changed. I dont even want to use the fucking Bombs. All I need are my blades and the shadows. Ok, so I will take the arm pistol too but that's it :) I actually wish the game would focus more on Altair. His mechanics with the simpler weapon set that relies more on your cunning and skill rather than being a walking tank feels much better to play.

In spite of my issues I will be back on this tonight and am looking forward to getting more of Constantinople under the control of my Assassin army :) building Assassins up so they can protect a Den without your help? Yes please!!!!

Yeah I beat the game a couple of nights back.

Immensely enjoyed it.

Pros:

- Story and politics of Ottoman Empire

- All the Altair memories were amazing

- The end game story memories were emotive, fantastic, exactly what I play AC for

- Constantinople is a fantastic city, enjoyed it more than Rome (but does't quite top Venice for me)

- The Desmond memories were great. Very unique, I loved the nightclub one.

- Subject 16

- Ezio looks awesome

- Hookblade makes getting around the city more smooth than ever

Cons:

- Tower defence, enough has been said about this already

- Short, but with a 1 year development cycle I wasn't expecting it to be long

- Desmond's new facial modelling looks a bit derpy and changes it too much

- Bombs were kind of meh

Anyone else think Embers (the short film that concludes Ezio's story) was really sad and didn't really do justice to Ezio? :(

It's probably short if you go straight for the story, but it kept me trapped in its world for about 26 hours when I was reviewing it - and I mean trapped. I wanted to finish the story, but was compelled to buy up the city, upgrade my guild, complete Desmond's memories etc. Compare it to the earlier games (or more recently to (the brilliant) Saints Row: The Third, which I loved but ended up rinsing in maybe 14 hours), which drove me to complete the story and away from the side-quests. I'm not usually a one for completion in games, but AC:R has been by far the most compelling AC for me, and so held my attention far longer than its predecessors.

How short is this? One of my friends is complaining that it's a fraction of the size of the last game.

The story is noticeably shorter than the last two, yet still padded out. Weird how this is splitting opinions - some saying it's the worst since the first, and others saying it's the best of the lot. I think most will agree that the narrative is strong this time, even if many of the missions fall short of greatness.

I think the story is shorter, but more important if you get what I mean. I mean, in AC the story (for a large portion of the game) was Ezio chasing after the conspirators in a wild goose chase to get closer to nailing Rodrigo Borgia, but in Revelations the story revolved around the Altair memories and they are in every single chapter.

Also you get some awesome Ottoman politics related story quests alongside helping the constantinople assassins and Ezio's love interest Sofia.

Although I 100%'d the game I didn't really enjoy a lot of the constantinople stuff. Felt a bit too grindy and repetitive. My advice to anyone playing this is to forget completely about the Europe minigame because it's just a headache. I was constantly worrying about whether I was losing cities and it impacted my enjoyment somewhat.

Just ignore it, and make sure you always bribe heralds and kill templar messengers to so your den doesn't get attacked and you don't have to deal with the tower defence bullshit. Just focus on the story and doing the master assassin missions

I spent some more time on it last night and found the experience a mixed bag. Managed to get a full complement of recruits and got them all up to at least level 10 *, had a race with a bloke over the rooftops which was one of the most frustrating gaming experiences I can remember (the controller was this close to hitting the wall with astonishing force), and did the first of what I can only assume was a Templar Den/ Lair of Romulus equivalent... which was crap.

* Question re ASSASSIN level recruits - when you assign them to a den do you permanently lose them from your assignment mini-game or do you just have to do their Master Assassin mission first?

* Question re ASSASSIN level recruits - when you assign them to a den do you permanently lose them from your assignment mini-game or do you just have to do their Master Assassin mission first?

Once they are assigned to a Den you can still assign them to missions. It just shows a Den symbol where their Assassin rank should be onthe missions select screen. It also means the Den they are protecting is immune to Templar attacks so you dont need to worry about Tower defending this Den.

I am loving all of it at the moment since I started avoiding the Tower Defence missions. Navigation is fast and fluid, the volume of choices in how to approach the action is insane and the story is very well put together. I just wish there was more Altair stuff :(

I read the most recent book, The Secret Crusade, during the summer so it got me geared up for playing this as it leads very nicely into the start of the game. It turns out Altair is more of a boss than Ezio but the game doesnt really seem to have captured that yet. I can only hope the last few Altair sections either let you play one of the sections from the book or show Altair to be the absolute legend that he is!!

I can only hope the last few Altair sections either let you play one of the sections from the book or show Altair to be the absolute legend that he is!!

I always felt Altair got short changed. He was a great character who was hamstrung by a bad voice actor, and a 7/10 game. I also kinda preferred his story to Ezios, even if Ezio had the better game. Glad to see him getting some more screen time in this anyway

I always felt Altair got short changed. He was a great character who was hamstrung by a bad voice actor, and a 7/10 game. I also kinda preferred his story to Ezios, even if Ezio had the better game. Glad to see him getting some more screen time in this anyway

When I seen the promo stuff for Revelations I went off my nut cause Altair was coming back into things. The Secret Crusade is easily a better story than anything that has been done in the games so to see such a fantastic character like Altair getting wasted here is very disappointing. Hopefully he gets a suitably epic send off in the game.

Until Halo Reach the book The Fall of Reach was the best of the Halo stories. Even then The Fall of Reach was still better than the games take on things. If movies can attempt to copy books then why cant games? Are they forced to use different material for the game stories? For years I wanted a Halo game that focussed on the battle for Reach. I eventually got it and it is easily the best in the series as a result. I guess now that I know it can be done I want to see the same thing with Altairs Secret Crusade but I know I never will <_<

Ubi asking about potential future settings:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-28-ubisoft-survey-public-on-future-assassins-creed-locations

Some of these are pretty damn cool:

The options listed are:

The violent conflicts of the Imperial Dynasties in Medieval China

The advent of the mighty British Empire during Victorian England

The culmination of the Pharaoh Reign in Ancient Egypt

The invasion of the Americas by the Spanish Conquistadors

The confrontation between British colonists and native Americans during The American Revolution

The overthrow of the Tsar Empire by the Communists during the Russian Revolution

The Warlord Battles in Feudal Japan

The rise of Cesar's Empire in Ancient Rome

They all sound good to me, going back to Italy aside.

Fuedal Japan would give the most obvious gameplay scenarios, with Samurai and Ninjas and whatnot. Probably the best idea, tho american revolution would be great too, but i just cant see a Union soldier leaping about from roof to roof or soemthing. Maybe if they made you a native american with special powers or something

Feudal Japan has been done before; I seem to recall that the Assassin’s Creed developers prided themselves on using settings that hadn’t been seen in games before, so I would be surprised if they went with that era.

The end of Russian monarchy and the birth of the Soviet Union is a fascinating idea, but I’m not sure how well it would lend itself to an Assassin’s Creed game – I think there’s a little bit too much change in such a short space of time, it would make for a very convoluted plot. Victorian London would be awesome though.

I still think Raj-era India would be perfect; the setting is ideal for conflict between the East India Company and the Thuggee cult (which would mirror the Templar/Assassin conflict), and you’d have an interesting mix of ancient cultures and modern technology. The industrial revolution would make an interesting parallel to the Renaissance of the last few games, and you could have all the modern technology that the plot demands (like armoured cars, machine guns, telegraphy), while still limiting its use in the game.

Yeah, I'm torn over whether a game set in feudal Japan would be a good thing or not. It's featured in so many games already, but then again I'm sure Ubisoft could bring something new to the table. I think I'd prefer a game set in China though, or any of the others really, except for Ancient Rome.

No French Revolution? I suppose, along with the Russian Revolution, it could be tricky to pick which side are the good guys - you're hardly going to be on the side of the Tsar or the French Aristocracy, but then that makes you a communist or a mate of Robespierre...wouldn't bother me, but mightn't go down too well in America. Although I suppose we already went to war with the Catholic Church. Maybe the Russian Revolution with some betrayal from Uncle Joe switching to the Templars or something.

Loving the Indian setting, K. I'd lap that up.

No French Revolution? I suppose, along with the Russian Revolution, it could be tricky to pick which side are the good guys - you're hardly going to be on the side of the Tsar or the French Aristocracy, but then that makes you a communist or a mate of Robespierre...wouldn't bother me, but mightn't go down too well in America.

Perhaps you'd be stuck in the middle, playing the two sides off against each other. Actually, come to think of it, weren't the Assassin's a neutral party in the first game?