Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

The Sarge

I really, really hope it's not Japan. And I say that as someone who loves Japanese culture. It's been overdone, and really doesn't suit AC in my opinion. While I think Victorian London would be AMAZING, I think the French Revolution is perhaps one of the most important things in world history and would make a great setting for an AC game. I'd be cool with both though.

I hope Ubisoft look at what made AC2 so great, the best in the series, and try and replicate it in AC3. Why was it the best game in my humble opinion? Because of the unique feeling and euphoria I had when playing it compared to its sequels.

Does anyone miss that feel you had when you played AC2? There was something about that game the following two just didn't have.

I think it may have been the feeling of the "epic", in the true sense of the word. You go from watching Ezio being born, to his every day life in Florence, to watching his family die before him to being plunged into this war and Assassin brotherhood which he understands as much as you, the viewer/player do. You are with him through his journey that takes him across MULTIPLE cities in Italy, to the most beautiful location ubisoft have done - Venice - to eventually Rome over the course of 20 years. The multiple cities really did add to the feeling of the sheer gigantic task laid out before Ezio - it established a grandiose scale and contributes to a feeling I'll elaborate on later. The development Ezio goes through over 20 years, the way the world and history changes in that time... it's impossible to describe how much love I have for this aspect of the game. The feeling of being submerged deep in an ocean, not sure of Ezio or the world's fate, not sure of your surroundings, surrounded by enemies with little backup. AC2 felt like it had so much more depth and mystery.

Let's not forget the AMAZING OST that we all love. Ezio's Family, Flight Over Venice... amazingly atmospheric pieces of music. What pieces such as Flight Over Venice added to the game cannot be understated, even listening to it now instantly catapults me back into Venice, into that mist, the feeling is instantly returned.

And of course, all 20 of THE TRUTH glyphs. As you played the game and unlocked more and more of them, alongside Altair's Codex entries, you slowly start to piece together the true enormity of the conspiracy laid out before you - but you dare not think it to be true, because it's so grandiose and horrifying... and then at the end of the game, all your theories are proved correct, and you're left on a cliff hanger begging for more, NEEDING more.

And Leonardo Da Vinci. Bro of the years, all years. Your eternal friend.

I'm very worried about the future of the franchise. They need to toss out of the window all the gimmicks and flaws they added in Brotherhood and Revelations and bring back the FEELING from AC2. Get rid of micromanaging cities economies, I want to be an Assassin exploring cities and uncovering conspiracies, not playing capitalist running around buying shops and worrying about upgrading things. Get rid of the entire buying/upgrading bullshit altogether. Take away the overpowered items, reduce pouch space and make default enemies like the Janissiries from Revelations - harder to fight than run away.

I still think Raj-era India would be perfect; the setting is ideal for conflict between the East India Company and the Thuggee cult (which would mirror the Templar/Assassin conflict)

I'm sure in either brotherhood ot AC2 there was a picture of Gandhi with an apple of Eden!

AC III is in production for quite some time now, running on a new engine. I wouldn't be surprised if that game is set during the French Revolution. The settings in the survey might be for a spin-off or a next-gen AC.

EDIT: What CraigO said basically. :)

I'm very worried about the future of the franchise. They need to toss out of the window all the gimmicks and flaws they added in Brotherhood and Revelations and bring back the FEELING from AC2. Get rid of micromanaging cities economies, I want to be an Assassin exploring cities and uncovering conspiracies, not playing capitalist running around buying shops and worrying about upgrading things. Get rid of the entire buying/upgrading bullshit altogether. Take away the overpowered items, reduce pouch space and make default enemies like the Janissiries from Revelations - harder to fight than run away.

I can't see that happening. Why? Because you could practically be describing the first game, the most criticised entry in the series. Not to say people complained about the things you mentioned — generally the original wasn't as well executed as it needed to be — but sales and reviews are telling Ubisoft they're headed in the right direction.

My hope is that ACIII does strip things back and is a bit more focussed; it makes sense given that it should be the last entry in the current arc, and presumably it's been in development since the second game wrapped. As is I feel the series has become a bit too much of a Skinner box, where all the things to do have become more of a to-do list, an obligation. I'm not convinved we'll see such a shift, though, at least until the next generation of consoles.

Of course I suspect your and my problem is that we've more love for what the series could have been rather than what it is. Not to say I don't really enjoy it as they're some of my favourite videogames, but after the first I thought it would transform to be more like Hitman, not less.

As an aside, I love the conviction of the first game. It reminds me a bit of MGS4 in its flawed purity of vision; I've plenty of criticisms for both, but I also have a lot of respect for them and feel they offer something unique. Looking back it's actually somewhat strange how successful the series has become, a success that really should have publishers questioning the perceived wisdom that everything should be trying to emulate CoD.

I really, really hope it's not Japan. And I say that as someone who loves Japanese culture. It's been overdone, and really doesn't suit AC in my opinion. While I think Victorian London would be AMAZING, I think the French Revolution is perhaps one of the most important things in world history and would make a great setting for an AC game. I'd be cool with both though.

I hope Ubisoft look at what made AC2 so great, the best in the series, and try and replicate it in AC3. Why was it the best game in my humble opinion? Because of the unique feeling and euphoria I had when playing it compared to its sequels.

Does anyone miss that feel you had when you played AC2? There was something about that game the following two just didn't have.

I think it may have been the feeling of the "epic", in the true sense of the word. You go from watching Ezio being born, to his every day life in Florence, to watching his family die before him to being plunged into this war and Assassin brotherhood which he understands as much as you, the viewer/player do. You are with him through his journey that takes him across MULTIPLE cities in Italy, to the most beautiful location ubisoft have done - Venice - to eventually Rome over the course of 20 years. The multiple cities really did add to the feeling of the sheer gigantic task laid out before Ezio - it established a grandiose scale and contributes to a feeling I'll elaborate on later. The development Ezio goes through over 20 years, the way the world and history changes in that time... it's impossible to describe how much love I have for this aspect of the game. The feeling of being submerged deep in an ocean, not sure of Ezio or the world's fate, not sure of your surroundings, surrounded by enemies with little backup. AC2 felt like it had so much more depth and mystery.

Let's not forget the AMAZING OST that we all love. Ezio's Family, Flight Over Venice... amazingly atmospheric pieces of music. What pieces such as Flight Over Venice added to the game cannot be understated, even listening to it now instantly catapults me back into Venice, into that mist, the feeling is instantly returned.

And of course, all 20 of THE TRUTH glyphs. As you played the game and unlocked more and more of them, alongside Altair's Codex entries, you slowly start to piece together the true enormity of the conspiracy laid out before you - but you dare not think it to be true, because it's so grandiose and horrifying... and then at the end of the game, all your theories are proved correct, and you're left on a cliff hanger begging for more, NEEDING more.

And Leonardo Da Vinci. Bro of the years, all years. Your eternal friend.

Yikes, but I couldn't agree more. AC2 was the series high so far. It felt like the perfect piece of apple pie with vanilla ice cream on the side and caramel drizzled all over it. mmmm.

Just finished this.

Ezio with the lute has to be one of the best easter eggs in a game for a very long time. :lol:

For the record, I've completed all the other games in the series and this is how I feel about them:

Assassin's Creed: I hated this game so much because it was so full of promise and it was about as fun as a calculus exam. Loved the setting, hated the characters, plot and gameplay. It put me off so much that I didn't touch any of them until last year.

Assassin's Creed II: I only got it because I liked the look of Brotherhood but wanted to go through them in order. Slogged through AC and hoped it wouldn't be as dull. Loved it, one of my favourite games of all time. Sure it wasn't perfect but the atmosphere was fantastic. The missions were much more varied, the characters and script were some of the best in any game (seriously, much love for Ezio) and they really worked on the music and graphics. Tuscany was amazing.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood: I enjoyed the fact that you could quite quickly pick up where you left off, the brotherhood aspect was genius. When you get towards the end and you're fully specced up and can just summon fully fledged assassins as you stroll through, you just feel like a total boss. The multiplayer was fun but flawed.

So, Revelations.

It doesn't really reveal much about the overall plot, to be honest. I knew it was going to tie up the Ezio trilogy and that Desmond has one more game left but it didn't advance the present day stuff. To be honest, it didn't really bother me. I barely left the Ezio stuff, I did all the Desmond stuff before I felt I reached the end of the game.

Oh. The Desmond stuff. Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to have a really shitty cross between Lego and Portal? Seriously, I get they wanted to flesh out his backstory but I couldn't really care less and, well, what's it supposed to represent? It was stupid and frustrating.

I was slightly disappointed that it was just Constantinople. I was hoping/expecting for more parts of the Ottoman Empire, partly because the size of the city was quite small and also it wasn't as varied as the locales in II/Brotherhood. There were some epic set pieces but they were rare. The Golden Horn, for example, was something that would've had 3 or 4 different versions in 2.

The tower defence game was confusing and badly implemented. I didn't know what the point of it was, how I was being scored or why it wasn't working properly. I'd try to hit the siege weapons with cannon balls and it'd aim behind it. I couldn't aim properly when there were swarms and my assassins died far too easily. I like tower defence games but the angle and the gameplay just didn't work. And to be honest, it seemed pointless because why couldn't we just control Ezio ourselves and then have elaborate takedowns of the siege weapons? In Brotherhood you had that amazing run towards the end of the game when everything was on fire and you were climbing, jumping and taking stuff out without missing a beat.

I probably come across like someone massively disappointed with the game but I'm not. I was really excited to get my hands on this (the beautiful Animus Edition with the encyclopedia) and I'm glad I could pretty much get through Ezio's story without having to faff about present day. I felt that Ubisoft have done a wonderful job redeeming the character of Altair, who I genuinely felt for towards the end of the game. Impressive given that he was only fleetingly seen in this one yet a full game dedicated to him left me totally cold. Kudos.

I thought Revelations looks gorgeous. Yes, there's pop up and the engine struggles at times but what you do get is a city that genuinely feels vibrant. People sat on rugs, drinking tea or friends in the street playing games or having discussions. The views are absolutely stunning and Ezio's attire is fantastically detailed all the time. I love the fact that Ubisoft have made a success out of time periods you rarely ever see in video games. Have to admit that one of the things I loved about the first game was that it was set in the Middle East, Jerusalem in particular looked wonderful and they've done Constantinople as much justice as all the other cities in the game. I'm torn as to whether ACIII should be on the current gen or the next one. We're pushing the limits as it is, if it's true that we're getting a French Revolution or Victorian London setting then the tight nature of the cities will really demand more from the hardware. On the other hand, I want this as soon as possible and without the lack of polish initial releases on new generation hardware.

For me, Ezio is up there with Solid Snake. I felt the same way at the end of Revelations that I did at the end of MGS4. I'll probably go back and try and get all the achievements mainly just to soak up the atmosphere some more. I said that about Brotherhood as well, though - ACII is still the only game I've ever 1000G'ed.

Revelations is not the best in the series but if you're a fan of it, you're probably happy with it and glad to tie up Ezio's story. But to be honest, if you've already played the other 3...if you don't like them, why are you playing this?

The moment when Ezio finds Altair's remains was touching and it'd be nice if somehow Ubisoft could let the player pay their respects to Ezio in ACIII.

And Ezio blatantly banged Sofia, the old dog.

Oh. The Desmond stuff. Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to have a really shitty cross between Lego and Portal? Seriously, I get they wanted to flesh out his backstory but I couldn't really care less and, well, what's it supposed to represent? It was stupid and frustrating.

I was slightly disappointed that it was just Constantinople. I was hoping/expecting for more parts of the Ottoman Empire, partly because the size of the city was quite small and also it wasn't as varied as the locales in II/Brotherhood. There were some epic set pieces but they were rare. The Golden Horn, for example, was something that would've had 3 or 4 different versions in 2.

The tower defence game was confusing and badly implemented. I didn't know what the point of it was, how I was being scored or why it wasn't working properly. I'd try to hit the siege weapons with cannon balls and it'd aim behind it. I couldn't aim properly when there were swarms and my assassins died far too easily. I like tower defence games but the angle and the gameplay just didn't work. And to be honest, it seemed pointless because why couldn't we just control Ezio ourselves and then have elaborate takedowns of the siege weapons? In Brotherhood you had that amazing run towards the end of the game when everything was on fire and you were climbing, jumping and taking stuff out without missing a beat.

I felt that Ubisoft have done a wonderful job redeeming the character of Altair, who I genuinely felt for towards the end of the game. Impressive given that he was only fleetingly seen in this one yet a full game dedicated to him left me totally cold. Kudos.

The moment when Ezio finds Altair's remains was touching and it'd be nice if somehow Ubisoft could let the player pay their respects to Ezio in ACIII.

And Ezio blatantly banged Sofia, the old dog.

Couldn't agree more with those bits. I was a little disappointed by it, but only because I loved the previous two so much. I was slightly annoyed that

Ezio still didn't really get a proper ending - apparently, that's dealt with in the animated bonus thing, which is a crappy idea. I've played as this brilliant character for three games - why do I have to buy a special edition of the game if I want to see what happens to him?

Just started playing this last night. Loving the art direction; the slow sleet and oppressive darkness in the early section are beautifully atmospheric.

It's is but it's a damn shame you're not allowed to explore the place. Instead of that your shoved through it with no fun to be had.

Couldn't agree more with those bits. I was a little disappointed by it, but only because I loved the previous two so much. I was slightly annoyed that

Ezio still didn't really get a proper ending - apparently, that's dealt with in the animated bonus thing, which is a crappy idea. I've played as this brilliant character for three games - why do I have to buy a special edition of the game if I want to see what happens to him?

Yeah, I've got that DVD but I don't really want to 'watch', y'know? Still, speaks volumes that it bugs us, if this were a series then the writers and actors would be lauded for bringing to life such an amazing character. They really nailed it and I hope whoever they pick next is equally as charismatic.

Having purposefully spent a bit more time with the tower defence system — whilst bypassing it on my way through the story — it's actually gone up a bit in my estimations. Not that I'd class it as a great inclusion, but once you unlock a few more units it becomes a lot more fun; before that I was getting up to the siege units and then having them destroy me instantly.

That said I'd rather they didn't take another stab at it as I don't think the idea really fits the IP. If they want to include some sort of strategy minigame the assassin training missions would be the place to do it, though: at the moment I feel it's bit too much like menu-based busywork, so if units had different strengths and abilities it would at least make assigning tasks a bit less mindless.

Anyway, this is a really good Assassin's Creed game. Of all of them it's the most redundant — it's more about filling in backstory than actual revelations — but it does some interesting stuff, makes a few genuinely positive adjustments and as good as, if not better than, Brotherhood.

I'd say it's main failings were not having a clear antagonist for most of the game, getting off to a rather slow start and being bookended with novelty rather than spreading it out more evenly. I also feel they could have done quite a lot more with Subject 16 and Desmond's "memories"; on the whole I thought they were pretty well done, but I'd have preferred something a bit more akin to Mirror's Edge with abstract puzzles rather than the route they took.

Finished this last night and I agree with this post almost entirely. Took me about 18 hours altogether, which is probably a few hours less than Brotherhood did. I found this one much more compelling than Brotherhood, though (and I enjoyed Brotherhood a lot). Plot-wise it was much tighter and more focused and the parallel narratives of the Masyaf keys and the Ottoman succession intrigues worked very nicely for me.

Complaints about the tower defence bits were overblown, I felt (even though I lost about half of them when I played, I still found them fairly enjoyable). The 'Desmond's Journey' bits are pretty crap in terms of gameplay, but well-voiced and fairly compelling in spite of that. I absolutely loved some of the Uncharted-esque setpieces, and I felt that this game nailed the feeling of having a brotherhood of assassins much better than Brotherhood did. The Mediterranean Defence thing is vestigial, of course, but actually training them up and having more control over their appearance, and each assassin having their own specialities for weaponry was great. I also particularly loved the 'master assassin missions' that made you get more of a feel for these apprentices as actual characters in the world. The hookblade was a great addition for the movement/combat skillset and I had some good fun with the bombs (although none of this compares to the first time you get to use the poison blade in AC2).

And of course it's an absolutely gorgeous game, and the music is lovely.

Nope, you don't need to do them ever again (so long as you deal with your spikes in notoriety by bribing heralds/assassinating... those... guys you have to assassinate).

Also, agreed re: Desmond, but isn't the point with Ezio that, er, he's just gotten a lot older? I didn't notice any drastic changes in the way he looked aside from having aged. But then, it'd been a while since I played the earlier games, so I may just not have noticed.

I had to do a couple after a mission where I couldn't bribe a herald. I wasn't sure if it was a bug or a feature. I actually enjoyed it a bit more than I thought I would.

As for Ezio, he does maybe look a bit different, but i've really noticed the acting / mocap / body language he has going on is just outstanding.

I saw someone say the reason why Desmond in the animus has a beard (like Altair) is because his mind has gone nuts and can't figure out whether he is Altair, Ezio or Desmond.

Is it me or has desmond become a bit more...white? Like in 1 & 2 he looks kinda middle eastern, his skin is a darker and hes got a bigger nose, but in this he definitely looks more westernised.

Im only a couple of hours in no so cant form a solid opinion yet, but pros and cons:

pros

+Constantinople looks lush

+Great to have Ezio back! Hes all grown up and manly. Awesome beard.

+The opening in masyaf :wub:

cons

-Its confusing. The whole animus island thing. Walk into the light to start a quest. but if you dont walk in far enough it just looks like its loading. I spent a few minutes thinking "this is taking for fucking ever", until i realised i hadnt walked in far enough to trigger the loading :facepalm:

-Animus island is just confusing and badly explained overall. Dont like it.

-Theres too much going on. Bomb crafting, tower defence, assassin recruiting...christ im only 1 man. Roll this shit out slowly instead of dumping it all on me from the get-go.

-Are the controls worse or is it just me? Half the time i feel like benny hill rather than a master asassin, as i run impotently into walls or fall off ledges over and over

cons

-Its confusing. The whole animus island thing. Walk into the light to start a quest. but if you dont walk in far enough it just looks like its loading. I spent a few minutes thinking "this is taking for fucking ever", until i realised i hadnt walked in far enough to trigger the loading :facepalm:

-Animus island is just confusing and badly explained overall. Dont like it.

-Theres too much going on. Bomb crafting, tower defence, assassin recruiting...christ im only 1 man. Roll this shit out slowly instead of dumping it all on me from the get-go.

-Are the controls worse or is it just me? Half the time i feel like benny hill rather than a master asassin, as i run impotently into walls or fall off ledges over and over

I would add:

-the Desmond levels on Animus Island - terribly designed, tedious and boring to play, horrible to look at and the back story it 'reveals' isn't interesting in any way shape or form. In fact, it's just badly written summary of everything we all knew about Desmond already if you had been paying attention to it in the previous games. Just awful.

-the Tower Defence mini game is an uninspired addition and horribly implemented. Never mind that it's broken, it's just no fun

-Bombs! I think the bombs themselves are a great addition and you can do all kinds of fun things with them - however, they're just lazily added on top of the gazillion other mechanics at Ezio's disposal which means that he actually has too many options to stealthily take enemies out from a distance. Assassins bar recharging? Use your crossbow! No more bolts? Use your gun! No more bullets? Use your knife! No more knifes? Use your poison darts! No more darts? Use one of many bombs that will take out a huge group of enemies in one shot without alerting anyone to your presence!

In short, if you actually take time to get into bomb making and using them (which is easy to miss as the main quest never ever requires or encourages you to use bombs beyond a short tutorial at the start) it unbalances the game and their addition on top of all the other stuff just makes it all feel bloated. keep the bombs by all means, I do think they're great, but next time they should integrate them better into the gameplay.

-No proper closure for Ezio which sucks. I understand there's an animation that does give Ezio his well-deserved proper ending but oops I didn't have the option to buy the edition that comes with said animation on Steam.

-the horse carts set-pieces suck. As does the one turret section, but then imo all turret-focussed set-pieces in games suck.

Overall I enjoyed the game, just not as much as 2 or Brotherhood.

Disappointed to hear that theres no closure to Ezios story. I thought thats what ACR was all about??

Starting to get into this a bit more now anyway, its still a good game, just bogged down by too many options flung at you in the opening hour or so. I havent even done any animus island bits, are they all desmond sections? And all shit?

I'm somewhat surprised people don't think the ending of the game gave closure to Ezio's story. Essentially he...

...learns from Altair's mistakes, as intended by the memories left behind, and chooses to live out the rest of his life as a man, not an Assassin; his part is played, his message to Desmond passed on, so he allows himself a final chance at happiness.

I haven't seen Embers so I don't know if that spoils things, but I'm not sure what other kind of closure people would have preferred.

Assassin's Creed Embers sounds proper shit anyway (from the Wikipedia description), I think I'd have preferred it left at the open-ended ending from the game than that.

It was meh. Not worth paying for but it came free with my copy so *shrugs*. Normally I wouldn't watch these things.