Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

The Sarge

I'm somewhat surprised people don't think the ending of the game gave closure to Ezio's story. Essentially he...

...learns from Altair's mistakes, as intended by the memories left behind, and chooses to live out the rest of his life as a man, not an Assassin; his part is played, his message to Desmond passed on, so he allows himself a final chance at happiness.

I haven't seen Embers so I don't know if that spoils things, but I'm not sure what other kind of closure people would have preferred.

I guess some of us

wanted to see him ride off into the sunset with Sofia or something. I dunno, it felt flat. Resolved, but not quite completed, if you know what I mean. There was no symbolic hanging up of the vambraces or anything. Subtle, but a bit too low-key for my liking. Again, you were left feeling that Ezio was the least significant character in his own story - Altair gets a satisfying send-off as you realise the importance of his role and the significance of his sacrifices, and then it moves onto Desmond and the world exploding.

Just finished this yesterday. While I loved playing it, it was a disappointment compared to II and Brotherhood. It felt pretty thin on content. I actually complained about there being too much stuff to do in Brotherhood, but this was too far down the other end of the scale. Some baffling decisions too. Forcing the Tower Defence on you for being too notorious was a terrible idea, as was bumping up your notoriety for buying shops. It's just a disincentive to actually do stuff. I got tired of running around looking for the dudes you bribe, and I don't understand why they didn't put posters back in to reduce it.

Dunno if it was just me, but the combat never really clicked in this game either. I was pretty good at it in Brotherhood, I had some decent scores in the practice rooms, but I never came close in this one. It didn't help that there was nowhere to practice properly, and if you went round starting fights, you got closer to another round of the Tower Defence. Even on a moral level, I was much less inclined too - the Janissaries etc just seemed less evil than the Vatican guards. I did love running those guys through.

I did like the story though, and Ezio and Altair's ending. Actually, the Altair bits were awesome. He's such a dude. Not enough for me to attempt the first AC again, but a great character. I have no idea wtf is going on with Minerva and all them though. I need to read up on that bit of it. As for the Desmond bits, I thought they were decent enough, a nice change of pace, and at least it kept those two annoying present day cunts out of the game for most of it.

There was no symbolic hanging up of the vambraces or anything.

There was though - he took off his hidden blades and dropped his sword. While we didn't actually see him walk into the sunset with the chick, I think it's quite clear that that's what happened.

I'm really struggling to get into this: it's too similar to the previous ones too soon, I think. For me, Brotherhood and AC2 had already skated a little too close to OCD-gaming - make a number bigger with no skill - and this seems to be even more transparent about it. Trying just to plow through the plot, but I dunno, I just don't want to play it much. :(

Taken a break from Skyrim to get through this but it should really be called Assassin's Creed Fatigue. It's not a bad game but the whole thing just feels a bit boring, lots of the same thing over and over but none of the joy this time round. Really disappointed and I hope they can do better with 3. Its time the series had a rest me thinks.

Taken a break from Skyrim to get through this but it should really be called Assassin's Creed Fatigue. It's not a bad game but the whole thing just feels a bit boring, lots of the same thing over and over but none of the joy this time round. Really disappointed and I hope they can do better with 3. Its time the series had a rest me thinks.

I have to disagree. This is just fantastic and my 3rd favourite game of the year after skyrim and supermario 3dland.

Is it worth getting all these Animus fragments to unlock the memories? Done 3 so far and besides being infuriating to play they don't exactly flesh out much story. Would I be missing much?

No, if you've played the previous AC games you already know the story those memories tell. There's nothing new at all,and you can guess to what point those memories lead up to.

The 3rd one drove me up the wall.

You have to jump down a hole and use the blocks to make sure you don't land on the blue glowing bits, thing is you so much as brush close to one and it restarts the jump. Damn annoying, or the next part where there's red lasers you have to run across blocks to avoid. They are just so pointless and stupid with no relation to the story being told. I'd have preferred to just walk down a corridor and have the story told.

Weird issue I think... on the lower left of the map there's a red target that's constantly pointing to a civilian holding a wine bottle, acting drunk. If I kill him with knives, poison, crossbow etc he simply regenerates and the target appears a few minutes later. Getting to be a real annoyance when I go down to that part as it even appears when I'm doing main missions down there. Is it a bug or am I missing something obvious?

I actually liked the Desmond memory segments. They were a bit eerie, I liked the way his past was told. The nightclub bit is really neat, and the bit just after. The "platforming" aspects are kind of non existent and they should have tried something different though.

Weird issue I think... on the lower left of the map there's a red target that's constantly pointing to a civilian holding a wine bottle, acting drunk. If I kill him with knives, poison, crossbow etc he simply regenerates and the target appears a few minutes later. Getting to be a real annoyance when I go down to that part as it even appears when I'm doing main missions down there. Is it a bug or am I missing something obvious?

It isn't a bug. Try using your fists.

Right, i've just yesterday finally finished playing my way through the original Assassins Creed title that I picked up recently, and while the story was pretty interesting and it has some really cool features, I hated the repetitive nature of ALL the pre-assassination Information searching and viewpoint climbing.

Are the rest of these titles an improvement of this sort of thing as I know nothing about the other ones. Also which one is best playing directly after the first one? part 2 or one of the others like Brotherhood (i think it is)?

Just finished -

My biggest problem I think was coming off Skyrim and giving this a go. I think that's effected the urge to play other games as I've a massive pile I just don't want to get through yet. I pressed on though as I was eager to find out the Revelations. The tower defense was awful, truly worth all the complaints. I was so glad when I finally maxed out the Dens and could run riot without risk of attack.Completed all the Desmond sections but was a bit confused by the Animus data fragments. There's a 100 but only 30 actually do something? What's the point and do I get something extra if I go the full way?Loved the way they ended Ezio and Altair's story but was a bit annoyed that they cut Ezio's advice to Desmond to rush to the other race of people. Would it really have been such a big deal to let him finish his sentence? Looking forward to 3 but after that they really need to give the series a break.

Spoiler directly in answer to your question.

Nnnnnnnope.

Other ending thoughts.

I really didn't like the movie of the 'first people' at the end. With their good looking white people wearing grey turtlenecks and tunics and generic looking skyscrapers, it appeared like a scene from a TV movie made for the Sci-Fi channel and filmed in Vancouver. It was CGI for gawd's sake, they could have been a bit more creative with the designs. Much better when it was left more to the imagination.

Right, i've just yesterday finally finished playing my way through the original Assassins Creed title that I picked up recently, and while the story was pretty interesting and it has some really cool features, I hated the repetitive nature of ALL the pre-assassination Information searching and viewpoint climbing.

Are the rest of these titles an improvement of this sort of thing as I know nothing about the other ones. Also which one is best playing directly after the first one? part 2 or one of the others like Brotherhood (i think it is)?

AC2 adds an actual game onto the tech demo that is AC1, and Brotherhood and Revelations refine things further. Play AC2 next.

I think story wise they ran out of ideas as they were trying to finish Ezio's story (which they didn't properly) as well as push Desmond's. Basically I think they just decided to go back and fix AC 1 because it was so terrible and that hampered the overall package.

I actually enjoyed Ezio throwing down his garb and declaring he's done, Sofia was just outside waiting so that pretty much hinted they went off together. I was really annoyed they cut short his speech to Desmond, he deserved to finish! Is there any other extra scenes if you collect more stuff, finish certain sections?

Other than the bonus DVD, none that I know of. I got all the animus shards, nothing happened but there are two 'portals' on Animus Island that are empty. DLC? I think I still have to finish the assassin missions stuff and maybe a few side missions but by and large I completed the game. Oh and need 100% sync. Given how the other two games in the Ezio trilogy panned out, I doubt completing those will expand the story. All you needed before were the glyphs and riddles.

At last, a memory that ties in with the Secret Crusade book :) and they really couldnt have picked a better one...

knowing the full history between Altair and Abbas along with the knowledge of how things came to be the way they just made the whole section miles better. Hopefully the last few section pick up parts of the book too. Especially Altair's eventual return to Masyaf, that would be outstanding.

The Altair sections are easily the best thing in the game and disappointingly under used. As much as I love Ezio, Altair is the boss in my eyes!!