Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

The Sarge

Sad to say, but im not really feeling this either. I dunno what it is exactly but i find i cant play it for more than an hour without just wanting to go do something else. The location just isnt as interesting as Rome in AC2. Ive no idea who anyone is or even why im helping them. The story is almost nonexistant. Combat feels really, really akward this time around for some reason. I just did the

riot against the janissaries

and instead of being an epic free for all fight i spent half of it being like "no for gods sake lock onto that guy, not that guy, take your fuckin sword out! Where the fuck is my sword?? What the hell is up with this inventory?!". It just feels fiddly as shit. I got past the section okay but then when i had to go do another big fight a few minutes later i was like like, hmm how about no and had to turn it off.

I dont know if its fatigue or what but im just really not getting into this at all.

I thought the combat was far too easy and a bit rubbish. Just stand there and hold down R then wait for them to flash and hit X to counter. Rinse and repeat, even in the middle of a mass battle surrounded by men it became ridiculously easy. They need to fix the whole 1 on 1 combat, maybe look towards the Batman games for inspiration.

I thought the combat was far too easy and a bit rubbish. Just stand there and hold down R then wait for them to flash and hit X to counter. Rinse and repeat, even in the middle of a mass battle surrounded by men it became ridiculously easy. They need to fix the whole 1 on 1 combat, maybe look towards the Batman games for inspiration.

While I agree the combat in AC has always been a little bit too easy, it's not quite as shallow as you're making out. Yes, you can stand there and counter enemies, but if you want to take the initiative and deal with them quickly, kill streaks are pretty awesome.

It doesn't make the game any harder, but it does make combat easier and quicker to deal with (and marginally more satisfying, as a result).

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this, and while the gameplay itself was pretty good but clearly getting slightly tired, OH MY GOD at the storytelling!

I absolutely loved the moments in the library/vault where Altair sits down and the camera pans around him until we're back in Ezio's time, looking at Altair's skeleton. And then Ezio talking to Desmond. And the notion that Altair wasting his life by never letting go of the Order galvanises Ezio to get the job done and then retire with Sophia. And then a big hysterical cutscene showing the destruction of the old world!

There's some really, really great character work and direction in those scenes.

I wonder if Desmond needs to go

to the library and get that second apple for himself?

Finally got round to buying this last night and got started on it. Feels very similar to all the other games - although this one took me a little longer to get into the swing of things. The opening sequence is stunning.

I'm not sure what I think of the tower/den defense thing - for me it ruins the pace of the game and I think it would be much better if you could get on the ground and get in amongst it all with a couple of other assassins. Well done to Ubisoft for trying to move the game on though. I've only done the first one, so my feelings may change as I improve or they get a bit more challenging.

It just feels good to be playing another Assassin's Creed game, wandering about, stealthily picking off guards etc and taking in the stunning environments.

Best part of the game so far for me? Zip line assassinations!

I've only just found the first key so I'm not properly into the swing of things yet, but everything is looking bob on so far.

One thing I don't quite understand though. You can use bombs as distractions, yet when you use your gun guards don't seem to bat an eye lid unless you're doing it within their line of sight. Seems a bit strange to me?

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this. I thought it was a solid game, but I echo the thoughts of others in here who mentioned they're getting fatigued with the formula.

The story was fine, and for the most part the game mechanics held together pretty well. The tower-defence thing was ok, but the changes to the notoriety meter were bizarre and not welcome at all. The reliance on having to bribe Heralds was the biggest problem for me, I don't understand how that wasn't flagged up prior to release, it's just shit. The city was good. The zip-lines didn't quite work as well though and the bombs never really clicked with me.

Overall it felt like they just tinkered with it a bit too much. It's still well worth playing though. I played it on PC, and having played all the others on the PS3 the difference in performance and looks was considerable. Simply put, it looks fantastic.

I'd still say Brotherhood is the best of the lot, followed by 2 and then Revelations.

• 3 weeks later...

It does pick up towards the end this, doesn't it? After treading water mostly, there's the excellent Cappadocia section (which had far more character than Constantinople, I thought, mainly due to being smaller and more tightly designed) and the last bit with Altair is excellent. I also like the Desmond first person bits, yeah they're a bit thin gameplay wise, but they're very pretty, and not really there to do much other than just flesh out the story a bit.

The tower defence minigame just isn't fun. Neither is bribing heralds to avoid this, and for some reason there are far fewer officials around in this game, which was a much more fun and efficient way to bring your notoriety down.

Although this suffers big time compared to Arkham City, I do like the addition of the Tower Defence game. Not because it's any good - it's crap - but because avoiding it adds another dimension to the main game. There's finally a good reason to keep a low profile, and being 'notorious' is now actually tense. One false move and you might be forced to play the crappy minigame.

Although this suffers big time compared to Arkham City, I do like the addition of the Tower Defence game. Not because it's any good - it's crap - but because avoiding it adds another dimension to the main game. There's finally a good reason to keep a low profile, and being 'notorious' is now actually tense. One false move and you might be forced to play the crappy minigame.

Yeah, I can see the logic in this stance, and upon refelction you are right, however it's still handled really clumsily. It would have been fine if;

1. Buying shit didn't contribute as much to your Notoriety

2. More ways to reduce the Notoriety than just heralds. (I know there are "officials" that walk around, but I only saw about 5 in the whole game)

3. And if you are forced to defend the Den then you should at least get more than one chance at the TD-minigame. . The main reason is that for the first 4 Den defences (I only ever triggered 4) you're still unlocking unit types so you are in effect, still learning the game. Failing it causes you to be booted out, resetting the Den to Templar control

On a slightly different note. The multiplayer in this is still fantastic. They've actually improved it by introducing the Deathmatch option (as opposed to the Wanted gametype). It suits the stealth types like me.

• 3 weeks later...

Assassin's Creed 3 launches on Tuesday, 30th October 2012, Ubisoft has announced.

Confirmation comes from an on-going investor call. No other details were announced, but Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot said the development team had been working on the game for three years.

"We will push the title a lot because it's a fantastic product that the team has been working on for three years," he said. "What we have seen is just fabulous."

Ubisoft had teased that 2012 would bring a "major" new game in the Assassin's Creed franchise. Eurogamer was told this game would conclude the story of protagonist Desmond Miles before the series' doomsday date arrives in real life. That doomsday date is 2012, so we were always going to need the concluding instalment - what we now know is AC3 - this year.

PC, PlayStation 3, Wii U and Xbox 360 versions of Assassin's Creed 3 are apparently on the way. Nintendo mentioned an Assassin's Creed Wii U game when the console was unveiled at E3 last summer.

Assassin's Creed 3 is rumoured to be set during the American Revolution.

Probably deserves it's own thread but I figured it'd be just as at home in here.

http://www.eurogamer...-date-announced

800px-Boston_Tea_Party_Currier_colored.jpg

360 screenshot.

4 minute history lesson via the medium of paintings and POTC.

I'm not looking forward to it as much as I would have been straight after Brotherhood. Loved 2, loved Brotherhood even more, but Revelations mainly revealed an unexpectedly huge amount of series fatigue. I hope they're not lying about the 'we have been working on it for 3 years, honest guv!' part.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't read the whole thread in case of spoilers, but is the 360 version of this known to be bug ridden? I mean, more than the previous games?

Yesterday I had this:

Which isn't a big problem, just silly, but today I finished the first Desmond "chapter" and the game kicked me out and told me I needed to download it again (er, it's on disc...) and then my 360 refused to see the disc was in the drive until I rebooted.

I kind of hope it isn't set during the American Revolution. That's not to say I wouldn't end up enjoying it as much as the others once I played it, but it would certainly dampen my pre-release enthusiasm. These games are like a form of virtual tourism, the sort that actually makes sense because it's taking you to a place AND a time of interest - but for me, the American Revolution just doesn't seem particularly inspiring or evocative.

That said, I'd struggle to offer alternatives. Egypt is the obvious first choice, but then, it almost feels too obvious - like anything they did to make it interesting wouldn't be enough. Victorian England gets bandied about a lot, but that's only a century removed from the events of the American Revolution - plus I'm not sure how you could make it a distinct proposition.

I suppose what I'm saying is, I don't envy the team developing this game. I don't think they'll steer us wrong, it's just that anything outside of the renaissance is going to be a tough sell - and not just because players have been so entrenched in the setting for so long, but because it's also the period in which the series really started to shine for the first time.

Yeah, now that would be an actually good setting. Other stuff that would work would be Meiji Restoration Japan, Taiping China, Thirty Years War Germany maybe. All of these have potential for Templar/Assassin conflict and interesting settings (while keeping melee combat viable - which is something crucial to the series, I think).

Even forgetting the obvious weak points such as the tower defense and the attrocious cart ride at the start... this game still doesn't feel finished. The tearing in this seems worse than previous games (which weren't exactly tear free but not this bad), some of the new annimations are crap (the zipline executions, for example), and the targetting seems broken, leading to more mistaken death jumps, killing civillians by accident, etc. The new weapon select is never explained and I'm still not sure exactly how to use it; I keep losing the quickblade and sword option from the d-pad.Constantinople is lovely though!

Focus on unlocking all the dens and mastering them. Then you won't have to do that tower defence mini game.

Just started this and wondering, how do I master a den? I'm guessing as it hasn't been explained to me in a tutorial yet I can't do it?

Just worried I'll have to go through that tower defence stuff again as the tutorial for that was pretty horrendous.

And yeah Constantinople looks lovely!

The new weapon select is never explained and I'm still not sure exactly how to use it; I keep losing the quickblade and sword option from the d-pad.

Don't you just select the weapon from the wheel and then press the relevent d-pad direction to set is as a shortcut? I must admit I just used the old way, you don't have to use the d-pad.

Anyway, I finished this the other day. As has been mentioned it does feel a lot shorter than previous entries, although I guess that is to be expected given its development time.

Overall though my impressions are still very positive. I only did the tower defence tutorial and then made sure I memorised where a couple of the heralds were - stupidly you can just walk round the corner and go back and bribe them again until your wanted level is at zero. And then you can pickpocket the money back. My favourite part of Brotherhood was the Borgia Towers so I'm glad they made a comeback, it's nice being able to tackle these things any way you want.

I must admit I didn't know about the Desmond memories until I'd finished the game, I tried the first one then got bored. If I'm being honest I've never given a shit about the modern day parts - I just enjoy the setting, atmosphere and story of ye olde Turkey/Italy/whatever.

Best part:

Infiltrating the Janissary base to kill the captain only to find out he's on your side after all. Awesome. Oh and the bit where you blow up all the ships.

How do you stop your "Assassin Influence" %age dropping in the other cities? I've installed assassins in the dens there (in Alexandria I have a Lvl 15 Master Assassin, two level 12s and a level 10) and yet the %age still keeps dropping as fast as I can increase it by completing missions.

This arrived from Lovefilm, & though I haven't had time to play it I put it in the drive & was surprised to see that it's actually 2 games. Revelations plus an install of the original AC.

I won't be running it for 2 reasons though. The first is that I very much doubt the install would work from a Rental copy due to some kind of registration gubbins, & the second reason is that the sequels to AC are much better than the original's prototype of the whole AC formula. As much as i liked the original at the time & i'm not too fond of the rate they seemt to be churning them out, it's still a compelling formula that I like to play & am looking forward to see where it goes.

I can't seem to get the game to run, it just boots to a black screen & freezes the console. The disc looks pristine but even cleaning it & deleting/reinstalling the game install files doesn't seem to help. Either this is the always-present risk of a damaged rental disc, or it's the freezing problem I heard some people saying this game in particular suffers from.

Just started this and wondering, how do I master a den? I'm guessing as it hasn't been explained to me in a tutorial yet I can't do it?

Just worried I'll have to go through that tower defence stuff again as the tutorial for that was pretty horrendous.

And yeah Constantinople looks lovely!

It'll explain you can assign an assassin to a den BUT BE CAREFUL, YOU CAN'T CHANGE THIS though honestly it made bugger all difference to me who I assigned. Then you train them up until they reach a certain level, then you do a few missions and they level up to maximum and your den can't be attacked.