Assassin’s Creed: Revelations

The Sarge

And you know what those Desmond memories reveal? The same old backstory that they told and re-told in the previous three AC games. I forced myself to play through them all, expecting at least some worthwhile reward - a revelation if you will, given the title - but I shouldn't have bothered.

And you know what those Desmond memories reveal? The same old backstory that they told and re-told in the previous three AC games. I forced myself to play through them all, expecting at least some worthwhile reward - a revelation if you will, given the title - but I shouldn't have bothered.

The ones that were in the latest DLC pack actually do have revelations, explaining subject 16s situation and the ending to brotherhood

Good to know I don't have to bother with the Desmond shit.

After a shaky start, I'm starting to warm to this. It's not grabbed me nearly as much as Brotherhood, but I'm getting the Assassins' Creed vibe back. I love the setting. I'm properly intrigued by the competition for the sultanate, Janissary intrigue and the like. I spoiled what happens a bit by reading up on the actual people in Wikipedia, but that doesn't matter. I even popped into the Ashmolean Museum today to check out their Ottoman artefacts.

I've finally got round to figuring out the bomb-crafting, and am presently testing out some non-lethal variants on the local populace. I thought the whole bomb thing was a waste of time initially, but the Templar lairs and officials seem much better guarded in this one, so it seems as though they do have their place.

Freeing up Y for secondary weapon was a good move, but having to pause the action to select items ruins the assassin vibe. Four quick-select items isn't enough. They should have just copied Batman's d-pad item select.

The city, while gorgeous, seems a bit samey. I miss the variety of Rome, and can't wait to get out into the wilderness for AC3. Contrast is good in open world games.

The ones that were in the latest DLC pack actually do have revelations, explaining subject 16s situation and the ending to brotherhood

Really? So any actual revelations are in the DLC. Well, it's Ubisoft so I shouldn't be surprised. I would consider buying the DLC but I really hated playing through those tedious Desmond memory levels and I'm not sure I want play any more of that shit.

Bring on AC3!

I assume those locked memory doors are accessed by collected the scattered Animus Data Fragments?

I hope there's some way of tracking them down besides scouring every inch of the gameworld then. I never managed to get all the flags from AC1 or the Feathers in AC2. IIRC, the feathers in AC:B were marked on the maps though weren't they?

Also, when you get over about 50% collection, the rest are automatically marked on the map.

Thank goodness for that. I didn't fancy scouring the whole map trying to track down that taletale "ting" sound as I swear it shifts around when I get close just to mess with me.

I watched that Embers thing yesterday as I wanted to see what happened to Ezio. What a load of shit.

I have no idea why they felt the need to do that or why it had to be separate from the game.

I love how you can completely avoid the tower defense game by bribing a few heralds. They must have realised pretty quickly that it is complete pish.

I make a point of not using heralds and instead waiting for officials. Much more fun. If I ever do get forced to play the tower defence mode I'm just going to let the templars win so I get a chance to retake it again.

I'm alternating my funds between buying up shops & paying off the notoriety that generates. I'm don't want to have to play that mini game again if I don't have too.

One big change in this game to me is the "stalker" system. I suppose this is a carryover from the Brotherhood Multiplayer (which I never played) but it certainly changes how safe I feel while down amongst the crowds. Before, I would casually stroll from place to place soaking in the atmosphere of the cities but now I find myself on edge, scanning the crowds & always listening out for that telltale change in the music.

Is it just me though, who still finds the AC lock-on system to be way too fiddily & unreliable? I've felt this way about it ever since the first game & it's the one part that never seems to have improved.

I must have skipped or not read the tutorial about stalkers, the first time some random guy stabbed me in the back I was quite shocked

I don't think there was one. I never saw it until I was stabbed.

Those stalkers - it took me ages to realise that you just press 'X' when they attack. Only once I've managed to run before he grabs me. There's nothing more to them, is there?

Ha, I was mashing all sorts of button combos. Although when I killed one I made sure I took his money and threw his corpse around for a while so everyone knew not to mess with me.

I think it worked.

I was caught totally off guard by the first stalker & couldn't fight him off before he stabbed me (can you?) so i thought it was Game Over. When Ezio recovered I was filled with a Rage. How Dare that little pipsqueak turn the tables on me! :angry: Even though he had a head start & the Guard was already chasing him, I chased him down, showed him how a real Assassin gets the job done & vowed that none of them were ever going to make a fool of me again.

I'm usually so Mellow when playing AC game's too, but when he showed me up at my own game, I wanted that random AI character dead, dead, DEAD. :twisted:

Dear Ubisoft,

I am a big fan of your historically almost-accurate hood-wearing murderous free-runner simulators, but despite having played your three most recent in relatively quick succession and anxiously anticipating the finale of the “Ezio Trilogy” and its associated Revelations, I was shocked to discover that you seem to have forgotten to include any.

Unless, of course, I have to unlock them by playing this poor Welltris/Mirror’s Edge minigame to completion, which, frankly, isn’t going to happen. Not least because it is the worst thing in all of creation.

Once I’d sat through the 462 minute long end credits sequence, where you name each and every person who ever existed throughout the entirety of time and space, before switching on a random name generator and churning out another 14 billion people who never existed throughout the entirety of time and space, I was still awaiting any form of revelation. But none came.

Unless no revelation was the revelation? How very meta of you!

Anyway. Keep up the good work. I hope to be completing Stabby Hood Tomahawk Man Death III later this year.

Love,

deKay xxx

Got this on Steam today, 3 hours or so in, I like it so far. The den defence was ok, but I don't really want to repeat it in a hurry. I like the hookblade alot, seems like it could be fun to master.

It struck me while playing it how damn lucky Ubisoft got when they made the Ezio character, pretty much the most compelling reason for me playing this game is to see how his life has panned out. I love the assassinations and climbing obviously but a lot of the other features seem like fluff. Seems like very little reason to bugger around with bombs when you can get almost everything done with the hidden blade.

Also the control scheme has been improved alot since ac:b, separating ranged weapons from the melee weapon button is a godsend.

Even though I'm only renting it I decided to get the Lost Archive DLC as I quite like the 1st person sections. The "Revelation" at the end caught me completely off guard, though I suppose on reflection it's a pretty obvious explanation for what went down & why the story went the way it did.

Was this twist hinted at at any point during AC:2 or AC:B though, or is it something Ubisoft just pulled out of thin air? Casting my mind back I can't recall any hints to it, but that's not surprising as my memories of those games consist mostly of lot's & lot's of rooftops.

Got this on Steam today, 3 hours or so in, I like it so far. The den defence was ok, but I don't really want to repeat it in a hurry.

I'm over 50 hours in now, and have only done one Den Defence :)

Are you sick?

They were a different kind of challenge, 1st-person platforming without the distraction of shooting a gun, framed in that Animus-memory story-device that i've always liked about the Assassin's Creed series. While i consider the Tower-defense minigame to be a misstep in trying to add variety to the series this was something new & (IMO at least) interesting.