Seven Samurai - Remake - Moving Forward

Goose

I seem to recall mentioning this ages ago in the remakes thread, probably around the same time that the Wild Bunch remake was announced. After next to no activity in some time, the Weinstein Company today announced the project is once again moving forward, with Tournament director Scott Mann taking the helm. This still doesn't mean a film will be made but it does mean they're actively developing it and I imagine if the Weinstein's are putting money into the project, they're going to want a return on their investment. The plot is being transposed to a modern day scenario but little else is known save for this press release, via Comingsoon.net.

The Weinstein Company's remake of Akira Kurosawa's classic Seven Samurai (first announced for development nearly four years ago) has signed a director. Variety reports that Scott Mann is set to helm the remake.

Mann is best known for his 2009 action film, The Tournament. His take on the tale will update the storyline to present-day Thailand and will replace the Samurai with "paramilitary contractors," defending a village from would-be invaders.

Released in 1954, Seven Samurai is generally considered to be among the greatest cinematic achievements of all time. It inspired the 1960 John Sturges western The Magnificent Seven and will also allegedly influence the upcoming Snow White reimagining, Snow and the Seven at Walt Disney Pictures.

Sure to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with its forebears.

Standard negative response sure, but what else is there to say? Seven Samurai had a genuine great artist at the helm and some incredible characters and performances. Magnificent Seven had a stellar cast, the kind you could watch doing pretty much anything. Of course the central premise is always good so it's not inconceivable that this will be worthless but still...

Seems like they're taking the central idea and updating it, but hoping to trade on the Seven Samurai name. It's still in very early development so perhaps it'll end up being "The Seven Soliders". But of course, that doesn't get headlines. Saying you're remaking Seven Samurai, does.

Modern day Thailand!? :blink: I mean why bother? :wacko: Old cowboy westerns were a huge influence on Kurosawa which is why the western remakes of his films worked so well. But modern day Thailand, seriously?

One setting I would love to see used for a seven samurai remake would be medieval England and change the samurais to Knights, that would work perfectly and you could pretty much keep the story exactly the same.

I don't think a modern day setting is such a bad thing. As mentioned above by Mr Cochese, they've even set one Seven Samurai remake in space! That had a spaceship with a huge pair of tits on the front, and it was still pretty enjoyable in a disposable way.

Mind you, the director they've picked for the new one isn't a promising start.