Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury

Timmo

Ok, this definitely needs its own topic!

I loved the DS version to bits, and this has the potential to be even better.

Basically it's bullet hell but you don't need to be rain man to play it. It's as much a puzzle game as it is a shooter, a lot of the time.

bangai-o-hd-missile-fury-preview-20100830044345739-000.jpg

Still getting to grips with it, but there's 47 stages in Fury mode, and an unlockable even longer campaign on completion, together with two other modes, Puzzle and Extreme. Along with multiplayer (co-op!) and a level creator means this is full price release size for sure.

The presentation is huge step up from the DS version, lovely orchestral music in the How to Play section, for example, and a more solid feel to the campaign.

Anyone got really stuck in yet?

Only up to level 9 so far and stuck! Spent a couple of hours on it this evening. I know what to do - this is probably the first proper puzzle level - but by god it's hard.

Got quite a lot of friends on here for comparing scores and times, but more always welcome :-) See signature for gamertag.

I'll be back to hit level 9 again tomorrow!

I'm at the Ninja level (14 i think) - its lovely. Each level requires a very different strategy just to finish let alone high score.

Its testiment to Treasures amazing level design.

If your a shmup fan and you see this...

bangai-o-hd-missile-fury-preview-20100830044345739-000.jpg

Well....i says no more!

How on god's good earth are you supposed to have a strategy on the third demo level? Even L50 on the DC version was nowhere near as impossible as that. Best I've managed is get off an early counter then dash, hope you get some fruit, repeat. Then die about 15 seconds later.

Spent about 20 minutes on the trial and I think I'd love this dearly if I knew what on earth was going on (I read the 29 page tutorial but didn't really take any of it in). Is there a guide/youtube video anywhere that could explain the basics?

Right you've either got to kill everything or collect items and move blocks (the professor guy will tell you)

The weapon system works like this :

The right trigger is Theres for your 8 (or ten) main weapons fired with the right stick. You have only 2 per level and at the start they maybe the same.

The Right bumper (when your not holding left pad - IE not moving) will activate freeze (theres 3 of these that refill)

The Right bumper (when you ARE moving) will activate barge and you barge AI. During these moments your SHEIDED. ITS HOW YOU GET OUT THE SHIT.

These are represented by the number and bar below the bullet counter on the left. You can only use 3 but you can use them however you see fit.

They're good or freezing missles to give you time to counterstrike for example or to barge larger AI.

The Left trigger activates your counterstrike missle system (CSM). This fires 100 missles when no bullets are in your circles OR the same amount of missles within your blue circle range.

hold it own for more missles.

The left trigger (held) and RIGHT trigger clicked will power up your counterstrike missles up to 4x. Get this to 1000 at x4 and your 360 is frankly cooking.

Each counterstrike is different (per 8 weapons).

If your moving when you activate CS missles your blast will be fired in the direction being held.

If your stationary when firing CS missles then you'll fire in a lovely star pattern.

The number of CSM is shown as bullets and varies each level.

Homing missles can be directed AFTER being shot by moving around once you've fired.

X activates instant CSM at x4 with enhanced missle shots as well but the CSM counter will count down.

It can ONLY be used when CSM counter is at 5.

Levels are timed so not only do you have to use the strategy but you have to be fairly fast.

You can do the levels any way you want BUT every level (i think) has a certain way of doing it to get a massive high score. I can only do level 1 at this level and you can see this in action by pressing B (i think) at the title screen.

Learn this and you'll quickly realise how great Treasure is. I prefer this over Radiant Silvergun really. It kinda represents why Japan is so amazing at shmups.

Oh one other thing....the Gold spawner level (L10) will spawn every 1 second.

You have to kill ALL the AI before it spawns another basically. So bascially get the CSM to x4 (get the counter to 4/4, hold left, then press right trigger 4 times) and let rip and that should do it.

Oh and that level with the pit is fun as well. You must go INTO the pit to knock out the shielding thing (which you learn about on the first Ant level), then get out before the blocks fall on your head.

Oh and it has a boss as well :lol:

Also important is picking up fruit to recharge your counter gauge. Fruit is dropped by destroyed enemies and environmental objects. Finding yourself out of counters is unpleasant! When dealing with huge numbers of enemies the strategy is to counter them with LT then scoop up the fruit they drop, thereby replenishing your counter meter in time to hit LT again for more exquisite carnage.

Stefcha:

That's Longai-O? You have to freeze him first. Get close, freeze, hit counter, get away, repeat. Usually takes two of this maneuver to finish him off.

^ 3rd level of the demo is different to 3rd level of the main game, for the demo 3rd level i kept doing the charge attack (LT) followed by a dash (RT) and keep repeating that so you're invinsible the whole time....untill near the end when there isn't enough stuff to kill to get fruit to recharge the charge attack so quickly so you need to fly around and dodge stuff for a bit. (sorry Stefcha, i've read above now and realise that's the stratergy you're already using! need to keep getting lucky on the fruit i guess, there's so much stuff to kill there should be enough fruit, maybe directing the charge/counter attack thing then dashing in thet direction would net more fruit?)

Oh one other thing....the Gold spawner level (L10) will spawn every 1 second.

You have to kill ALL the AI before it spawns another basically. So bascially get the CSM to x4 (get the counter to 4/4, hold left, then press right trigger 4 times) and let rip and that should do it.

ah so that's what you have to do, cheers! i killed that by luck first time, tried it again and couldn't kill it at all.

took ages (maybe an hour) to do level 15 just now, i could get outside quite often but not have enough time left to kill everything.

anyone know how to kill the thing at the end of 17?

Right you've either got to kill everything or collect items and move blocks (the professor guy will tell you)

The weapon system works like this :

The right trigger is Theres for your 8 (or ten) main weapons fired with the right stick. You have only 2 per level and at the start they maybe the same.

The Right bumper (when your not holding left pad - IE not moving) will activate freeze (theres 3 of these that refill)

The Right bumper (when you ARE moving) will activate barge and you barge AI. During these moments your SHEIDED. ITS HOW YOU GET OUT THE SHIT.

These are represented by the number and bar below the bullet counter on the left. You can only use 3 but you can use them however you see fit.

They're good or freezing missles to give you time to counterstrike for example or to barge larger AI.

The Left trigger activates your counterstrike missle system (CSM). This fires 100 missles when no bullets are in your circles OR the same amount of missles within your blue circle range.

hold it own for more missles.

The left trigger (held) and RIGHT trigger clicked will power up your counterstrike missles up to 4x. Get this to 1000 at x4 and your 360 is frankly cooking.

Each counterstrike is different (per 8 weapons).

If your moving when you activate CS missles your blast will be fired in the direction being held.

If your stationary when firing CS missles then you'll fire in a lovely star pattern.

The number of CSM is shown as bullets and varies each level.

Homing missles can be directed AFTER being shot by moving around once you've fired.

X activates instant CSM at x4 with enhanced missle shots as well but the CSM counter will count down.

It can ONLY be used when CSM counter is at 5.

Levels are timed so not only do you have to use the strategy but you have to be fairly fast.

You can do the levels any way you want BUT every level (i think) has a certain way of doing it to get a massive high score. I can only do level 1 at this level and you can see this in action by pressing B (i think) at the title screen.

Learn this and you'll quickly realise how great Treasure is. I prefer this over Radiant Silvergun really. It kinda represents why Japan is so amazing at shmups.

Pretty sure it's RT to dash, not RB.

And the CSM gauge needs to be at 10 (max) for the 'x' button attack, not 5.

I'm not sure I understand why you'd use the LT attack over the LT+RT attack, can anyone fill me in?

I thought the CSM gauge needed to be on 4 but I've not really experimented so I'm not sure... The gauge does has different max values on different levels though so maybe it needs to be maxxed out.

Holding LT starts powering up the attack and tapping the RT increases the damage multiplyer using up more of the gauge each time. Sometimes it's best just to use a directed x1 counter attack to save energy.

Anyone struggling, as well as reading Dimahoo's very helpful post above, should go to Help and Options and slowly work through the first 15 or so pages of the How To Play guide. It can seem pretty overwhelming to begin with but once it's clicked it all becomes second nature much quicker than you may expect. You don't need to know about the different kinds of walls or the editor yet which half the guide is for.

Also B at the title screen - as said above - shows what you're eventually aiming for.

The in-game tutorial is almost completely useless.

Anyone got any tips for defeating the evil Bangai-O at the end of level 5? The tips say to use freeze and charge but I'm still getting battered!

As he is another Bangi-O it appears he has similar moves to you and kinda mirrors what you do.

Initially he will chase after you and shoot standard missiles. The thing that can kill you quick is his charge move, he occasionally charges at you and inflicts massive damage.

If you CSM, he will counter it will his own CSM resulting in MILLIONS of pink missiles hurtling towards you. FREEZE as many of the missiles as possible AND get in close enough to freeze him. Once this is done, unleash the biggest CSM possible ( 1000 x 4 or whatever) and will do him proper damage. Make should you Charge out of the way after unleashing the massive CSM to avoid his charge. Then rinse repeat.

And the CSM gauge needs to be at 10 (max) for the 'x' button attack, not 5.

I'm not sure I understand why you'd use the LT attack over the LT+RT attack, can anyone fill me in?

Only had a brief go, but doesn't the LT+RT require a lot more gauge power? For example, demo L3 at the very start it's impossible to LT+RT because you don't have enough something or other yet.

One thing I wish it didn't do was that zoom in effect when you do a massive barrage, it's a bit disconcerting. I can only assume that if they didn't do it then my eyes would melt and my local city would experience a power blackout due to the scale of the insanity, but I'd take the risk.

Only had a brief go, but doesn't the LT+RT require a lot more gauge power? For example, demo L3 at the very start it's impossible to LT+RT because you don't have enough something or other yet.

One thing I wish it didn't do was that zoom in effect when you do a massive barrage, it's a bit disconcerting. I can only assume that if they didn't do it then my eyes would melt and my local city would experience a power blackout due to the scale of the insanity, but I'd take the risk.

When you hold LT to charge CSM you will see a counter counting up from 0 - 100. Consider this "invulnerability time" nothing can damage you as it is counting up. once it hits 100 you will take damage.

While it is charging, TAP RT to multiply the effect of the CSM at the expense of stock. You have a stock of 10 CSM's and you can choose to unleash a total of x4 CSM using the tap RT method.

There is another way by taping x button while charging which drains loads of CSM stock and leaves you vulnerable for a second or two afterwards.

^ 3rd level of the demo is different to 3rd level of the main game, for the demo 3rd level i kept doing the charge attack (LT) followed by a dash (RT) and keep repeating that so you're invinsible the whole time....untill near the end when there isn't enough stuff to kill to get fruit to recharge the charge attack so quickly so you need to fly around and dodge stuff for a bit. (sorry Stefcha, i've read above now and realise that's the stratergy you're already using! need to keep getting lucky on the fruit i guess, there's so much stuff to kill there should be enough fruit, maybe directing the charge/counter attack thing then dashing in thet direction would net more fruit?)

Directing it must be the key, I'm still in DC mode where you couldn't do that (I don't think) so at the start I'm moving somewhere then stopping and charging up in anticipation of the spawn then dashing away on release which is probably screwing up my fruit potential from the off, usually being killed by massive ants on the left or what appears to be a ginormous mech armed with a baseball bat on the right.

I love Bangai-O, it's a proper game as games should be, none of this po-faced advanced brownness simulator rubbish :)

As he is another Bangi-O it appears he has similar moves to you and kinda mirrors what you do.

Initially he will chase after you and shoot standard missiles. The thing that can kill you quick is his charge move, he occasionally charges at you and inflicts massive damage.

If you CSM, he will counter it will his own CSM resulting in MILLIONS of pink missiles hurtling towards you. FREEZE as many of the missiles as possible AND get in close enough to freeze him. Once this is done, unleash the biggest CSM possible ( 1000 x 4 or whatever) and will do him proper damage. Make should you Charge out of the way after unleashing the massive CSM to avoid his charge. Then rinse repeat.

Nice one - Cheers! Although if I'm honest, this all sounds like a bit too much for me! Loving the game though :wub: .

This sounds like the bosses on L25(?) and L50 of the DC version. On L5. Blimey.

I really really want to like this, especially as Bangai-o on the DC is one of my favourite games ever but I'm just lost and finding it waaaay too difficult early on. Pah, should've tried the demo first but I thought I couldn't go wrong!

Oh wow. I'd never played this before, bought it as I'd heard universal praise then stumbled through the first stage playing it like Geometry Wars because I couldn't be bothered with a 29 page "How to Play". Then Dimahoo and Co swagger in with the science and blow my mind. I can't wait to try this properly :)

Oh wow. I'd never played this before, bought it as I'd heard universal praise then stumbled through the first stage playing it like Geometry Wars because I couldn't be bothered with a 29 page "How to Play". Then Dimahoo and Co swagger in with the science and blow my mind. I can't wait to try this properly :)

Even though the basic mechanics are similar to most duel stick shooters like Geometry wars, you must learn and use the advanced mechanics. There is no way to simply pass through a level like it was robotron and get a lesser score at the end, you have to learn the stuff and use it most of the time. I guess that's why it can seem really difficult at first. It's a steep learning curve.

The game explodes into a shower of win once it clicks though :D

This sounds like the most amazing experience, i'm truly jelly.

I've loved every iteration of Bangaioh and it seems like this is a true, full fat, heavyweight, fans sticky pants full on wet dream.

Seeing as the most modern home console I own is a GameCube I think i really can't avoid jumping on the 360 train at some point. I thought I could hold out but this bloody thread had changed something in the brain.