Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury

Timmo

I usually baulk at hard shmups to be honest but as complex as this looks its all on the buttons so you get it quick. And its nice to approach each level with a diffent strategy.

Sometimes the game forces it, you lose weapons because the level dictates and you feel like "ooh shit, here we go" but it never becomes a real issue.

And the levels are great - their funny, sometimes cool, a nod to other games and sometimes batshit. Most shmups are just 8 straight levels with a nice scoring mechanic but this is so much more.

I think it'll be a while before anyone find the perfect score in this becuase theres just too much going on. Which is kinda great really - at least you feel like you'll have a chance.

Plus to just know some fantastic Japanese gamer is going to design the ultimate "level of fuck" because that's just what they do.

Not to be a swine, but I think I'll wait for a price drop. I've got far too many XBLA games I bought and haven't had time to play through yet - and my experience of this demo (sleep deprived at 5am granted) was floating up and exploding several times over, hitting the counter button and exploding and then finally getting slightly to grips with it, moving onto the second level and then exploding.

Heard great things about it so I will buy it, but I've got so much still to get around to it's unbelievable.

Not to be a swine, but I think I'll wait for a price drop.

There have been an awful lot of games over the last few months where I've come to this conclusion but this is not one of them, the demo is a bit silly really. It's Bangai-O and it's fucking back! None of this DS shit, this is the spirit of DC, a game I bought before even owning a Dreamcast no less. I've just spent about an hour playing nothing but the first level to get a feel for it, and not regretted a second. Brilliant :wub:

The only thing, why the fuck don't they have a time/score system that uses live scores properly like Trials, GW2, Pinball FX2 and the few others that do so? It can be done, and for what's effectively a score/time attack game it's mental that it's not there. Imagine, playing where you can see yourself whittling your way up to the next friends score or time? I'd play it forever.

Well I made it to Level 4 :lol:

Now to figure out how to deal with Longai-O.

Level 5, that! It's like the final boss in Bangai-O on DC, and by that I mean I'm probably going to have to fluke my past the fucker. That zooming in on a big counter really doesn't help. Level 5 though? Christ.

The biggest problem with Stage 9 (and possibly the game) is that it's not clear what you have to do and what you don't to finish the stage. Afte watching a video it would seem you have to collect all the yellow/red pickups and push the blue boxes into the nearby gaps. Other than that you don't have to kill anything (boss aside).

I think with level 9 you just have to push/destroy everything marked 'Target' (also marked with big arrows) in order to activate the final boss. My tip would be to do the first few sets of blocks (the last being a bank of 3 you have to push up) then dash up like a madman (holding down right trigger, release & keep moving while it recharges then hold again) until you get to six blocks (3 on each side). Counter a few times to take out the defences above and below, and grab the energy on top of the block. Then dash back down shooting up to destroy everything following you, countering if necessary. You can then do the blocks you missed without getting hassled.

The tricky bit is the last section up to the boss - dashing and countering are your friend. You can dash through most of the area with the big blue enemy missile installations withot bothering to destroy them, but remember to get the yellow 'Target' boxes. Try and save counters in order to do more powerful x2 - x4 attacks on the big bank of robots near the boss (hold left trigger to charge counter, then click right trigger the number of times you want to power up your counter.) Hopefully you'll quickly replace lost energy with the incoming flood of tasy lemons. The boss itself isn't too tricky - if you keep circling him and countering/firing you should be okay. You do need to give yourself about 30 seconds for the boss though.

Right - levels 15 and 20 are kicking my arse so if anyone's got any tips...

Stage 9 done at second attempt this morning! My initial problems were getting to what I thought was the end, only to find even more horrors waiting for me and having nothing left to fight with. But despite knowing what to do, getting to the end with enough health was my only real issue.

Anyway, making steady progress now and loving it!

It's Bangai-O and it's fucking back! None of this DS shit...

Yeah, I ab-so-lu-te-ly loved Dreamcast/N64 Bangai-O, but never got on with the DS game. Did that even feature boss-fights? I'm not sure but I think it didn't, and I really missed the zany boss characters from the DC version.

Sabu :wub:

f_sabu.gif

Loving this. Not quite getting the people who say they disliked the DS version but love this, as far as I can see it's basically the same but they've removed the weapon combining and the awesome baseball bat.

I miss that baseball bat :(

Aww shit, I was hoping the baseball bat would feature in later stages. :(

I've never played the original, but I did love the DS game and I agree, it feels very very similar to me.

I take it back about the time limits, they add an extra dimension. The rush to finish stage 19 was fantastic.

I think leaving levels you're struggling with is the way to go, levels don't necessarily get harder as you go. Some, like stage 13, are there to be fun, different and easy.

Level 15 done and dusted. The secret seems to be:

not to use the (default) missiles - napalm and bounce are the way to go. Beware the Ninjas that shoot back the same weapon as you (and reflect them) Dash/Freeze them or Napalm them to smithereens.

Oh man, where has the day gone?

Just spent a happy 2 hours on stage 17. What a brilliant level!

Frustration was only ever with myself for making stupid error after stupid error. Last room genius level design.

What a game! Stages 1-19 down. At first I thought the game was too hard but the difficulty has been pitch perfect, really. So far, anyway...

Oh man, where has the day gone?

Just spent a happy 2 hours on stage 17. What a brilliant level!

I'm on this now, but...

I think a boss is supposed to appear in the last room, but nothing's happening

Help me please!

You need to

destroy every enemy and destroyable block to activate it.

Hmm, I did that, I had a completely clear map. Is there any way to destroy the bits on the inside of the stone structure in the last room?

I'll try again in a bit, thanks!