IGNORED

Madden 12

sinky72

Finally got around to giving the demo a try and overall i am pleasantly surprised, run blocking might be a little to good or my 194 yard game with 4 TD might have been a fluke time will tell. Either way human controlled defenses are much harder to run against so it might not be an issue at all you can tone it down with the sliders in single player anyways. Passing game is much much better and not as easy as it has been in the past i really like that. Love the pass rush and love the new tackling. Overall i'm very pleased with how this is looking

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing this all day very happy with how this has turned out i have yet to find any huge flaws. Not much in terms of new features and modes but the gameplay balance is as good as it's ever been in Madden. Really good game this year :D

Yeah from what i have been reading from various different sources, is that not much has changed in the game modes but the general gameplay has improved across all areas. Hopefully my copy will turnup today.

In an impluse buy also i bought a copy or NCAA 12 from another forum so it will be nice to see how they compare.

One minor complaint i always had was when you tried to throw timing based passes more often then not the QB would throw at the WR rather then lead him on the route, that seems to be completely fixed now and there's few things more beautiful in this game then seeing a WR makes his break and instantly catch the ball. Might not seem like that big of a deal but this essentially eliminated 30% of the routes in years past as hooks, curls and comebacks you had to wait for the break before you threw giving the DB plenty of time to jump the route.

It's amazing to me just how shit your average American is at this game, been messing around with lobby games while i wait for some of my friends to pick this up and i'm currently 9-0. You don't even need to be good to win all you have to do is not be stupid and wait for who ever you're playing to do something retarded like go for it on 4th and 27 from their own 13, i've won games comfortably where i've had less then 150 yards of total offense thanks to this kind of idiocracy

They're all apparently Eagles fans too lol :facepalm:

One minor complaint i always had was when you tried to throw timing based passes more often then not the QB would throw at the WR rather then lead him on the route, that seems to be completely fixed now and there's few things more beautiful in this game then seeing a WR makes his break and instantly catch the ball. Might not seem like that big of a deal but this essentially eliminated 30% of the routes in years past as hooks, curls and comebacks you had to wait for the break before you threw giving the DB plenty of time to jump the route.

It's amazing to me just how shit your average American is at this game, been messing around with lobby games while i wait for some of my friends to pick this up and i'm currently 9-0. You don't even need to be good to win all you have to do is not be stupid and wait for who ever you're playing to do something retarded like go for it on 4th and 27 from their own 13, i've won games comfortably where i've had less then 150 yards of total offense thanks to this kind of idiocracy

They're all apparently Eagles fans too lol :facepalm:

That will be the Vick factor, everyone was a Falcons fan when I used to play online with Madden 08

Can I just say as good as the game is , the commentary is just about the worst I have heard since Pro Evo on the PS1. Its a fuckng joke really, why the hell cant EA to this day get the presentation right in any of its sports games.

Surely they have the money and staff to do it as the gulf in class between their games and the 2K games presentation wise just gets bigger and bigger.

That will be the Vick factor, everyone was a Falcons fan when I used to play online with Madden 08

Can I just say as good as the game is , the commentary is just about the worst I have heard since Pro Evo on the PS1. Its a fuckng joke really, why the hell cant EA to this day get the presentation right in any of its sports games.

Surely they have the money and staff to do it as the gulf in class between their games and the 2K games presentation wise just gets bigger and bigger.

First thing i've done for the past 4 years when i get the new Madden is turn the commentary off and turn up crowd noise

I tired the demo last night and I have to say I thought it was great! I'm tempted to get it but with FIFA and NBA2K12 being released in the next 4 weeks I'm worried I won't have the chance to play them all. Might pick it up later in the year/next year though as it does look to have improved greatly on the last one.

So after waiting all week to get my hands on this game the posty delivered it yesterday, only for a few family members to call round and demand i help them with something! :doh: Anyway cut long story short only managed 1 half on the game yesterday and now im sitting in work dying to get home!

The presentation is a disappointment in this game they really are lacking so far behind the 2ksports games, in my game last night i played the Raiders against the Lions and was shocked when the referred to one of my players as 'Number 34' i thought all players are licensed in this game?

Having only played the demo of Madden 11 what do you call the feature where the QB can hear the play calls from the side line? And is it not in Madden 12?

Also does the grass sometimes look at bit crap to anyone else?

Operation Sports never fails to amaze me. I thought this guy was joking at first but he's not. This is his main issue with the game;

"A patch for the sock height slider would be nice. Teams like the Chiefs and Broncos that have stripes on them don't change no matter if the slider is high or low."

:facepalm:

Last year it was LT's visor isn't dark enough

Liking this Madden so far.

Played Superbowl as Green Bay and both myself and the AI scored with our first drive (uh oh, I thought, this is going to be all about scoring with little defence).

Then it tightened up with me taking a 10-7 lead with a FG late in the 3rd.

In the 4th Pittsburgh gradually forced their way up the field with run, then suckered me with a long pass for a TD, then stopped my next drive with an interception and grabbed a FG from it and a 17-10 lead.

I fought back with seconds left and my final play was a 4th and 8 on my own 43yd line. I launch the ball down field and my intender receiver gets tackled in the end zone as he is about to grab it, the ball pops up and remains alive, then 3 from my team and 4 from the AI all dive in and the ball goes dead.

I lose the game, but that final moment seemed to go in slow-motion.

Really enjoyed it.

The game itself is easily the best Madden for a long time but the presentation is just shocking in this day and age.

The 2K NBA games have ruined all other sports games for me now , even EA's NHL just cant compete now.

Yep, NHL is far behind NBA 2K## for presentation, hell it is even behind NHL 2K7 and later affairs.

Madden does a better job than it had previously though.

Just played a game with me being the chargers playing against the panthers, it turned out to be a quite one sided affair although i could only beat them 17-0, restricted the panthers to 55yards of offence and sacked newton 11 times get in there with a couple of trophies! :)

One thing i quite like about this years madden is how receivers will slip when running routes and the same can also be said for QB's slipping when dropping back in the pocket presenting the chance of a sack oh yeah!

This is an idiotic question, but when you look at the playart, some of the routes are shown in yellow, one in red, grey, blue, etc. Do these have any meaning? Does one colour mean the best passing choice? Or anything like that?

This is an idiotic question, but when you look at the playart, some of the routes are shown in yellow, one in red, grey, blue, etc. Do these have any meaning? Does one colour mean the best passing choice? Or anything like that?

Red is primary, yellow is everyone else and blue is a delay route where the TE or back will fake blocking until the defense commits then go out into the route, never rely on the blue routes. Just treat red and yellow as if they where the same the defense dictates where you should throw unless it's a play where the only option is the primary like a screen.

The trick to passing is really looking at where the defenders in the area the route is going rather then the WR this will help you eliminate routes that are not open faster.

For example a slant you want to look at the OLB, if he blitzes it's going to be open or worst case single covered by the CB or MLB who will (unless it's one of the very best CB or a very fast MLB) usually be out of position (outside CB inside MLB) to stop it. You can usually tell before you even snap the ball if the OLB is blitzing so even if that route is not red in the playcalling screen it should be your primary if you see this. If it's man to man defense then that OLB is going to be on either your TE or a back and the plays are usually designed to pull that defender away from the primary route which is why most slants in the playcalling screen the red route is on the strong side (the side where the TE is), the TE will always run that defender off that route in man to man.

If you're unsure if the defense is man to man or zone a good way to check is to send a player in motion and see who if any follow him.

I tried to write a guide on this kind of stuff a few years back but quickly realized it would be several pages long and gave up, it's easier just to try answer questions as they come. It's a very complex sport which is kinda why the more you learn the more depth you discover and the more you enjoy it. Madden games are a great way to get your self hooked on American football

Thanks matey, will probably have plenty of questions, I keep getting my arse handed to me online. Seems that you can get a huge advantage by spotting what formation your opposition is in and adjusting it accordingly. Which is where I will fall down :D

Ren - what difficulty/quarter length do you play on and what kind of scores do you get? Any tips for realism?

8 min, all pro with 20 sec run off and some slider tweaks, but to be honest no matter what you do you can't really un-dumb cpu QBs and playcalling. Upping their accuracy, pass and run blocking and tuning defense reaction time down a bit helps a little, but they still don't know the little things like avoid Revis at all costs, sliding protection or keeping a extra back inn to help block Ware nor do they know how to exploit mismatches.

All Madden is a huge waste of time as the CPU just cheats to keep it close

Or just do what I do and just blitz the QB on every play.

:D

Which reminds me , its far to easy to sack and in turn have your QB sacked in this game, even my Titans pick up at least 8 sacks a game and poor Hassleback is getting sacked just as much himself.

This is what i normally just do blitz or do zone coverage, although must starting payment attention to the plays and learning from them a bit more. Pockets and Ren very good advice must try and mind it next time im playing the game.

Charliemouse i would have to agree sacking the QB is for two easy, my first game i recorded 11 sacks with the Raiders.

Although played my first online game last night and actually won by 2points i was the saints playing the colts go tight affair, i used Ren's advice and did not do anything stupid and waiting for them to make the first desperate 4th down and go for it call!

One thing i tend to struggle with is when i pick my D and my opponent does an audible, being able to counteract and change my D before the snap, sometimes i give up massive yardage as my D are not properly set.

Don't even worry to much about some of the audibles and just trust your play calls

Some of the zones have tells like cover 3 you'll see 1 safety come up closer to the line and the other one move towards the middle of the field if i am in that for example and they audible after seeing it i'll usually change my defense really quick or if i have a heavy blitz and they change. Other then that i hardly ever change my D from what i called. People who come up to the line and immediately start doing audibles usually ain't looking at your D at all or have any clue what to look for and you'll just get your self in trouble by trying to adjust.

If you think someone is reading your D then showing blitz it's a great way to hide it. I usually do that to hide my zones against more experienced players and you get the added bonus of being able to blitz out of it later and actually catch them off guard even though you're showing blitz. If you show blitz and they audible after then and you're in a zone it's a good chance you already have them guessing and they're about to do exactly what you want them to ;)

Thanks Ren i have decided to go with what you said and trust my original calls.

Quick question what settings is most people using, I'm using gameplay slow, 6mins quarters with all pro difficult and some sliders adjustments such as kicking power and increasing foul calls.

Just wondering has anybody tried very slow gameplay setting?