Rumour: Next-gen Xbox to be revealed at E3

Floex

Boo!

Eurogamer understands that an E3 2011 reveal for Microsoft's next Xbox is highly unlikely.

Our respected source poured water on Develop's report that some kind of announcement will happen next month at E3.

Develop's report also mentions that EA already has development kits for the new console. To a untrained eye, these apparently look like PCs. But inside are apparently the components of Microsoft's next Xbox.

Prototype dev kits typically are PCs inside a PC box: the first Xbox 360 developer tools were based on dual core G5 PowerPC Macs with an ATI X800 GPU while the initial PS3 dev kits were based around a PC with two GeForce 6800 Ultras running in SLI.

The Develop source believes the new Xbox could launch as soon as the end of 2012.

No technical specifications for the new console were given.

EA and Microsoft both declined comment.

that's not a limitation of the hardware, if you build a PC to the same spec as the 360*, the games would look the same.

* or, even more appropiately, build a PC for the PRICE of a 360, then we'll talk.

If you build a PC now for the price of the 360 it would still look miles and miles better than what the 360 is able to produce. This is 7 year old we're talking about here- and it's really showing by now.

If you build a PC now for the price of the 360 it would still look miles and miles better than what the 360 is able to produce. This is 7 year old we're talking about here- and it's really showing by now.

~£250 would be needed for something that could play console ports @720p60

~£250 would be needed for something that could play console ports @720p60

Yeah, it's doubtful, you could put much of a machine together for ~just~ £200..

AMD X3 ~£60

Socket AM3 mobo ~£40

1gb ddr3 ~£10

250gb 2.5" HDD ~£30

DVDRom 16x ~£10

Case ~£20

Leaves you what? £30 for a gfx card?

Yeah £250 is more realistic but I also have to point out that a proper xbox 360 with a 250GB HDD costs $299.99 and that there's really no need for a dvd drive if you're PC gaming in 2011 ;)

Never mind saw the yucky dollar sign.

Edit: why the dickens are you using dollars!

If it was a mistake then

Whaaaa

Never mind saw the yucky dollar sign.

Edit: why the dickens are you using dollars!

If it was a mistake then

Whaaaa

:lol: Somehow I ended up on American amazon without noticing! And I lazily copy-pasted the price without noticing the dollar sign. I only ever use amazon uk so I have no idea how I got there. I guess I need another beer.

Regardless of the rumour at the start of the thread, I think it's extremely likely that we will at least have a mention that they definitely working on a new machine, maybe a name and logo, and just possibly some bullshit videos of the Killzone 2 / Motorstorm variety. MS have to try and piss on Nintendo's chips somehow - Kinect games simply aren't going to cut it against new hardware.

Regardless of the rumour at the start of the thread, I think it's extremely likely that we will at least have a mention that they definitely working on a new machine, maybe a name and logo, and just possibly some bullshit videos of the Killzone 2 / Motorstorm variety. MS have to try and piss on Nintendo's chips somehow - Kinect games simply aren't going to cut it against new hardware.

Yeah, there is a huge amount of wiggle room between; "Xbox 720 out this Christmas, 350 quid and its here to play at E3!" and "New Xbox is coming, [5 second tease of a next gen looking Master Chief/Marcus Fenix etc]"

As much as I don't think this rumour has any basis in fact, and as much as I love my 360 the machine is starting to look like a machine that was never intended to last much more than the 5 years we've had.

The PS3 is starting to show its power and devs are beginning to get some really great looking stuff from it and the install bases are close enough that the major advantage of the 360 - larger Western install-base and therefore the lead-platform for development - is diminishing to the point that more and more games are PS3-led. Kinect is also a curio that has yet to show any meaningful application to a more typical gamer, with Move getting more support and better integration.

So whilst I think MS need to have something rather special on show at E3, a new system announcement is not it. An announcement now could really hamper the continued Kinect push and start causing disruption to potential sales of the current hardware if people think something new is around the corner.

Excellent! Well there you go Talk Show Host, that would look great on your 32" HDTV.

Rabble rabble general agreement towards all this PC talk.

It is true that you can build something that makes the 360 look creaky for next to nothing, I don't think people realise just how relatively old the components inside the 360 are - it's like a very low end PC at this stage, especially when you consider it renders at 720. Take something like Resident Evil 5 or Dead Space 2 and run it at 720p on a midrange PC at medium 'xboxalike' settings and you'll probably be looking at hundreds of frames a second. Steam's upcoming comfy couch mode, ubiquitous support for the 360 pad and Asus's upcoming WAVI wireless HDMI/USB adapter railroads the majority of problems most people have with the format.

That said, if you can hang on and you really hate the inevitable messing around that PC gaming brings (which is nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but it'll never be eradicated completely) you might as well wait for Microsoft to jam a whole load of stuff into a box for you and subsidise it massively.

Hell, you could just do both to make sure you don't miss out on any exclusives. :eyebrows:

The thing is whatever machine appears is, for the moment, limited to 1080p.

Which is probably a bad thing because it means MS don't need to spend masses on hardware. Of course this is good for cost, but bad for sheer power.

I hope they do something that does push boundaries, but they don't need to and i think they DO need too. Not only for graphics power, but, at least for me and racing, so you can have more cars but maintain a 30 or 60 framerate.

Not only for graphics power, but, at least for me and racing, so you can have more cars but maintain a 30 or 60 framerate.

FUUUCKS SAKE PEOPLE. This "60fps, 1080p" thing is never going to happen. NEVER. This generation has conclusively proved that developers are prepared to sacrifice performance for increased visual detail because the vast majority of users honestly don't care. No matter how much power is available, they'll always be a little more that can be squeezed out by sacrificing performance.

We really shouldn't have to be telling people this, just pointing at this generation and going "look".

FUUUCKS SAKE PEOPLE. This "60fps, 1080p" thing is never going to happen. NEVER. This generation has conclusively proved that developers are prepared to sacrifice performance for increased visual detail because the vast majority of users honestly don't care. No matter how much power is available, they'll always be a little more that can be squeezed out by sacrificing performance.

We really shouldn't have to be telling people this, just pointing at this generation and going "look".

The generation that gave us Forza 3. And Ridge Racer. And PGR4. And Burnout.

You did read the bit where i mentioned racing didn't you? Only you didn't quote it :)

I'm not entirely convinced your right - within that gerne.

EDIT

ah shit...PGR4 is an example of what you said.

EA - New Xbox chatter is 'total fabrication'.

EA has dismissed a report claiming that it is already working with dev kits for the Xbox 360's successor.

Corporate spokesman Jeff Brown told IndustryGamers, "This story is a total fabrication – 100 per cent not true."

Develop's original story earlier today stated that EA had prototype development kits housed in PC units, adding that the new console was being prepped for a late 2012 launch.

A respected Eurogamer source also poured water on the report, insisting that an E3 2011 reveal for a new Microsoft console is highly unlikely.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-06-ea-new-xbox-rumours-total-fabrication

Apologies if posted.

:)

I agree with your point but could it not be enforced somehow? Like how every 360 game has to be widescreen 720 and have some sort of xbox live functionality for example. Could they not say that every game has to be 60fps? I now there might be ramifications to this but is it not at least possible?

The issue is that big publishers can essentially get a pass on those enforcements by virtue of having a big game that doesn't support them, and the fact the platform holders need third parties as much as third parties need platform holders. I mean, there are plenty of sub-720p 360 games, despite HD being a requirement, because who's going to say no to Activision and EA?

I swear this forum is just full of tech-freaks desperate to move onto the next thing.

A stable longer generation will be great for the games industry - might even get some innovation and experimentation.

I approve this message.

The thought of a new system coming along and then trying to find one or two of the launch titles compelling enough to warrant a purchase made me sigh a little.

I swear this forum is just full of tech-freaks desperate to move onto the next thing.

A stable longer generation will be great for the games industry - might even get some innovation and experimentation.

Oh indeed. You have to wonder if it would even be worth moving to another iteration of consoles in 2012- would it really be a big enough leap to justify scrapping a system which should still be in its prime? Yes they'll be giving the Wii HD a 'head start' as it were, but then they can differentiate themselves on price, more good news for gamers really.

What's quite interesting is the fact that if Nintendo do bring out a more powerful console than the current two and do go for the hardcore like the THQ chap quoted in the Saints Row 2 thread said, then they may totally clean up. The amount that they have made with releasing the Gamecube with waggle they could easily afford making quite a beast which will nick all of the 350 / PS3 owners potentially 2 years before their next consoles. Sneaky buggers.

Damn right. I want to move on.

Anyway as for experimentation, not in the racing genre you won't. Its been pushed as far at it'll pop and look at the innovation.

Blur was apparently innovative - ahh.

And again we're reached this assumption theres no innovation or experimentation already?

But whats happening on the PC Indie front? - theres your pool of innovation. Its already happening and the tech doesn't matter because its done on a PC already. Any game on the indie scene can be ported straight to a new machine be it 360, Wii or PS3.

Your biggest restriction to gaming is already there. Everything is on a 2D screen. Therefore everything that is possible has pretty much been done or is a pemutation of something that's been done.

Fine if you want the likes of MS to keep pushing out Kinect games or Sony to push out Move titles. Theres (IMO) your biggest gaming innovations short of playable 3D (and physics) (and not on a portable system) but theres very little innovation out there that can't be traced back to a similar game or genre anyway.

I realise that a new console won't change that, but then it arguably never really has unless it was a Nintendo. Playable 3D and physics remain the biggest software innovations - but then my point is not about innovation anyway.

Well could you tell the mobile and PC industry to stop progressing so the consoles don't look so antiquated in comparison, Apple will be competitive with the HD consoles within a few years, and if the rate of progress continues there, they might even get ahead, but people seem happy to buy a new mobile bit of kit every year or two, but expect (5)8-10 years out of a cheaper (subsidised) home console.

I suppose that is all down to the psychological lure of masses of cheap software offsetting the high cost of the hardware at work.

If Microsoft make an announcement about new hardware, they'll only be doing it to Dreamcast Nintendo.