Bangai-O

Soulstar

Aside from the usually longer winded games I tend to play (and sometimes document on here), it has been a while since I played the shorter arcade style fun of the past until in the recent weeks of grabbing some excellent titles on the DC. I thought i'd create a thread for this just to encourage some of you to try it out if you get the chance and don't mind the old shooters. Bangai-O is a quirky but still pretty solid title which so far in the last week has come across quite addictive.

bangai-o-header.jpg

The game was released in 2000(PAL) by Treasure for the DC and is a full-on side scrolling, multi-directional platform/flying robot shooter. In some ways it reminds me of Cybernator, except that you can fly in all drections and the character you control is smaller. However this really helps allow you to view your surroundings better you can see more of it. It may suprise you to realise that this title was originally released on the N64 shortly before with some slight differences.

You take control of Riki and his sister Mami and can simulaneously switch between one character or ther other. You'll realise as you develop better technique and understanding of the two characters that each has his/her own advantages. Riki features homing missiles which arc towards the enemies and will continue to shoot limitless. This is usually the weapon of choice for me in most of the situations I'm up against as the homing ability really helps. On the other hand, Mami features a lazer gun which will fire limitlessly as does Riki's missles do, however they do not home in, but rather bounce of every surface they hit and can be hugely helpful in situations where the homing missiles just can't reach. There are some instances where Riki or Mami's firepower is the only one who can penetrate the barrier and get through. Similarly there are bits where only the enemy can fire through but none of you can get through at all.

Firing in general takes a little getting used to, but once you handle it ok, you can pick up the pace quickly. You can fire in any direction, but then also (which is important), hold the firing direction in one position whilst moving/flying around in any direction. I even found that you can speed up in any direction by tapping the same direction twice to give you a short boost. Useful for a later level where time is of the essence.

The storyline is pretty much basic or not really important at all and can get quite confusing (in a fun way), however it has a certain charm and humour that makes up for it all. From what I can make out, it seems like Riki is after some kind of revenge to destroy the Cosmo Gang as they (I think) have killed your father...Well i'd say that looked like the storyline however you seem to fight your own father later in the game..odd I know.

There seem to be a plethora of levels to go through and so far i've made it to around the 22nd level. It's interesting how they seem to continually introduce new ideas and situations that you have to think about and deal with as you continue throughout the game. Score is of course a huge part of Bangai-O and you recieve a high score each time you complete a stage. There's a timer which counts down and if it reaches 0, the timer will then count up in minus seconds, usually at which point your score decreases very very quickly and more often than not results in you being awarded 0 points. The stage is still open to finish though so if you are less concerned with score and more bothered about completing levels then the timer won't be a problem.

As with all shooters of this nature, you get a special attack ability which fires your ammo in all directions for both characters, but has a unique approach whereby the number of projectiles released increases if there are more enemies on the screen, and if you are close enough to trouble, you get an immense wave of missiles launched as an attack.

So who else can show a bit of love for this game?

The story: deliberately makes little sense but this just makes everything funnier.

As for the special attack it's based on how much enemy fire is onscreen and how close it is to hitting you that varies the intensity. If there's a handful of bullets miles away you'll only spit out 2 dozen or so shots, if there's a fuckton of fire onscreen and it's just about to hit you when you mash the special button then the action slows down and you'll unleash a max of 400 and annihilate everything. Later on the game relies on you trading specials with bosses, it's pretty fucking intense.

Brings back great memories seeing this game, for me it came along at a time when I was avoiding coursework at uni so I buried myself in it for hours at a time determined to be the first person on the old Edge forums to complete the game. Awesome times.

The final boss is brutal.

I picked up Bangai-O when i first picked up my DC (In the big price drop - sorry), and have only spent about 20 minutes playing it. I've not had time to return yet. Actually, I'm bloody rubbish at finishing (or even starting) Treasure games. I have only played a level of Gunstar Heroes on the Megadrive, and did about an hour of Guardian Heroes on the Saturn.

Must.try.harder

This game, while I can imagine will get harder, I haven't found it to be too bad overall and there are plenty of fairly easy stages. What cracks me up (although it now wears thin) is the way in which half the bosses don't do anything. I've taken this to be inbetween stages, but it did make me laugh the first few times I faced a round green orb which did nothing to attack me.

I forgot that Treasure made Gunstar Heroes. That is my favourite MD game of all time i'd have to say, it was amazing..There's a boss called Curry & Rice on there.

Love it... but it featured an incredibly mean* last boss that I never managed to beat. Having said that, I've never been the type to keep on hammering 'retry' so maybe I just never gave it enough.

Turns invincible and makes a beeline for you when his health gets below a certain amount.

This game, while I can imagine will get harder, I haven't found it to be too bad overall and there are plenty of fairly easy stages. What cracks me up (although it now wears thin) is the way in which half the bosses don't do anything. I've taken this to be inbetween stages, but it did make me laugh the first few times I faced a round green orb which did nothing to attack me.

I forgot that Treasure made Gunstar Heroes. That is my favourite MD game of all time i'd have to say, it was amazing..There's a boss called Curry & Rice on there.

BEST GAME EVER

There's a couple of outrageous difficulty spikes at 8 and 14 IIRC, if you can get through them you should find the rest a touch easier because the timing you'll learn gives you breathing room and will still have be ready for another 400MAX. Those levels force you to learn a technique, a technique that you can bumble through without doing for the early levels, after the 8 and 14 trial by fire it will be in your arsenal without fail :)

Heh, you'll meet a few Core bosses that talk and don't fight while you hover in place pummeling them. Sometimes the journey is the real boss!

Turns invincible and makes a beeline for you when his health gets below a certain amount.

It's all about the counter, not the attack!

Just beaten level 23, and despite only taking me a few tries I felt lucky I even managed to do it when I did as it was easily the hardest stage ive seen so far. Basically you start in an open area with nothing about, then at the top of the level is a breakable wall with back to back turrets, then another layer behind that and on and on and on layer after layer with teleporters back to back which release flying people and robots. Once you start breaking through (breakout style) it turns into absolute chaos as they all fly about everywhere shooting all over the place.

If you manage to get to the very top layer, you unleash a boss which then starts coming after you. The technique to doing this was pretty much continuous use of the special move. The thing is, when you have a lot of explosions going on, your specials build up to the max (5) and continouly rise back up to max due to the sheer number of explosions going on all around you. If you get it right, you can use this to your advantage and break through the layers quickly, but literally one wrong move and you lose energy quickly, especially when the boss is flying around.

If you get close, almost touching the boss and keep using it, you get the super version of the super move which can knock a fair bit of life from it.

I know exactly what u mean steev, just made it to level 39 and I'm gonna take a break. The super attack is awesome when u master it. I love going into knee deep sections where the whole screen is firing towards me only to lash back with my counter attack. If its busy enough u get your supers back quickly and can continuously hammer them to clear the area. Also firing just as they are about to hit seems to work well, especially on some of the bosses.

I love this game though, it takes a few levels to get into it properly because you pick up techniques better as you progress.

Love it... but it featured an incredibly mean* last boss that I never managed to beat. Having said that, I've never been the type to keep on hammering 'retry' so maybe I just never gave it enough.

The platform in the boss area is your friend.

I read about it on Wikipedia and it seemed to be similar except with differences such as chaining combos few less characters, Mami is less powerful than Ricky and something about artwork I think too.

I'm not sure by no hits u mean do the levels without getting hit once, in which case is have to be Korean.

Think I'm on about 41 or 42 now. I know these latest levels have involved some serious amount of enemies in tight spots.

I picked up the DS version of this from Game a few weeks back for £3 or something equally preposterous. Haven't played it yet. I hope you can save your game though; I don't really fancy my chances of playing 40+ levels in one sitting...

I picked up the DS version of this from Game a few weeks back for £3 or something equally preposterous. Haven't played it yet. I hope you can save your game though; I don't really fancy my chances of playing 40+ levels in one sitting...

All 200ish levels are unlocked from the start, but yeah, it saves high scores and replays and stuff too. :)

I read about it on Wikipedia and it seemed to be similar except with differences such as chaining combos few less characters, Mami is less powerful than Ricky and something about artwork I think too.

I'm not sure by no hits u mean do the levels without getting hit once, in which case is have to be Korean.

Think I'm on about 41 or 42 now. I know these latest levels have involved some serious amount of enemies in tight spots.

Yeah, it's completing a level without losing a life, sorry I wasn't very clear!

When you've completed it be sure to move on to the superior N64 original.

When you've completed that, and want want to look even more hardcore, pretend you think Hover Attack on the Sharp X1 is actually better than N64 Bangai-O. Or, as people as hardcore as me call it, 爆裂無敵 バンガイオ.

There are loads of subtle differences, as well as some big gameplay changes that make it a bit more challenging and varied. Some stuff in there that isn't in the Dreamcast version too. The best way to play them is to play through the DC version first, then play through the N64 original for a slightly more challenging/varied experience. Anyone who thinks the original is hardcore in anyway clearly has no idea what they're talking about. These two games are just about the friendliest shooters Treasure ever made.

The superiority of N64 Bangaioh has nothing to do with hardcore credentials.

Yeah, I love stopping midway through a combo to do a spot of shopping, it's far better than belting through a level smashing repeating 400MAXs and 10000 Water melons.

/sarcasm

I love the DC version but I've never been able to get on with the (emulated) N64 copy, it just doesn't have the power of the flow for me.

Anyway, the emulated version is pretty much the only way to go I'm guessing unless I was to get some kind of flash drive like the myth thingy but they seem to charge a fair bit for those. I wouldn't mind one though to play with the original hardware and try out the lesser known titles.

And back on topic, I've managed to get to lv 43 so far. Haven't tried out 43 yet but will be back on it tonight. Last level I was on involved killing the box face man. He himself isn't too difficult but releasing him is quite annoying with the turrets surrounding him and the lasers which are hidden behind an impenetrable wall, but not impenetrable for the enemy. It was a similar affair for the boss on the level before that too.