IGNORED

Black Mirror

Nick R

I loved it. Sorta reminded me of Solaris. I was worried it was going to jump the shark at the half way mark but I thought it was really well judged and tender. This is the kind of stuff that should be made all the time in this country. It was essentially 2 people in a house so it could be made for pittance.

I am a heartless desensitized monster so it didn't really affect me but I was shocked how difficult my other half found it to watch. She is a bit of a wuss but she found this really tough to watch.

She sat through it though in the end as she wanted to see how it turned out but she found it very uncomfortable.

I thought it was very good, if not quite up to the best of series one.

It's nice to see Brooker doing something that tended away from his pet topic of the interplay between politics and media. And before I criticise it I feel I should just mention how quality these shows are in general, the scripts are tight, the performances are great,they're well directed, they have great atmosphere and music, etc.

Saying that, I thought that ep was a bit... unfocused? There were a lot of interesting directions I thought it could have gone, but it went for a reasonably straightforward arc with perhaps the only happy ending you could get with such bleak subject matter, and then pulled away from that at the last minute. It teased stuff like the !Ash being a character of his own separate from Ash and realising that, which as mentioned, was a bit Solaris, but that didn't really add up to anything.

Enjoyed it. Well written and performed, but I thought Brooker could have done more with the technology and interactions with the Turing test, instead of robot boy turning up. Would have been more grounded had he remained a more virtual presence, like a very high-res CG version of hmself on her snazzy curvy art screen - even something holographic. Would have a quite different plot, but to me it needed a feel that was near-future rather than the far-future science fantasy it suddenly became.

Yeah, that seemed like an interesting idea both in the episode and that short story I mentioned earlier, the "software personalities" both compliment their software or features, but there's the implicit thing of "is this something they'd say, or is this the program saying this in their voice?"

Like if you had such things in real life, they'd basically be like that, recommending film or music that fits their taste, but is also effectively an advert and so on. Obviously not the sort of thing you'd hang an episode on, but interesting to consider.

I thought it was a great concept and quite emotionally touching, but the concept wasn't explored beyond one small emotional story, and so the episode felt a bit empty and unfocused.

This seems to be similar to the way I've felt about Black Mirror as a whole thus far. It's generally well put together, well acted and considering the general lack of thought-provoking television I'm glad it exists but every time I watch an episode I can't help thinking that I got as much or more out of simply reading the synopsis and thinking about what it might be like as I did actually sitting and watching the thing for fifty minutes.

I somehow feel kind of guilty that I'm not getting more out of it.

The thing that disappointed me was that the trailer pretty much gave the whole episode away - it played out pretty much as expected.

At the point where robo-Ash was thawing out in the bath it developed a really creepy vibe and I was hoping it was going to go down more of a horror path as mentioned by SqueakyG.

Still far better than most British TV output these days.

http://www.guardian....jr-black-mirror

Robert Downey Jr to turn episode of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror into film

Actor buys rights to Jesse Armstrong's The Entire History of You, with the aim of producing a science-fiction thriller from TV show

Robert Downey Jr has optioned an episode of Charlie Brooker's Channel 4 anthology series Black Mirror with the aim of producing a science-fiction thriller, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Created by Peep Show writer Jesse Armstrong, the episode (The Entire History of You) centres on a world in which people can replay their memories using "grain" implant technology. It was originally screened on 11 December 2011 and starred Toby Kebbell as a jealous husband obsessed with using the replay tech to uncover evidence that his wife (Jodie Whittaker) had engaged in an affair.

The proposed film version, which is being put together at studio Warner Bros via Downey Jr's Team Downey production company, appears to be slightly different. Set in the near future, it will centre on a widower who uses similar technology to reconstruct his relationship with his dead wife until he unwittingly uncovers a vast conspiracy. Armstrong, whose film work includes 2009's Oscar-nominated In the Loop (with Armando Iannucci, Simon Blackwell and Tony Roche) and the 2010 terrorism satire Four Lions (with Chris Morris), will also write the screenplay.

Downey Jr is not yet attached to star in the film and there are no further casting details. The second series of Black Mirror began on Monday night with the episode Be Right Back, starring Hayley Atwell and Domhnall Gleeson. All three episodes of the new series are written by Brooker, a columnist for the Guardian.

Sounds more like the episode I just watched, rather than An Entire History of You.

i liked most of it but after a while the pretend man got a bit not clever enough. He should have been a bit more clever and less stupid doesn't understand.

I thought its shortcomings made perfect sense.

Real human beings are obstinate and can't every really be instructed to act a certain way, only influenced or cajoled. However a consumer product can't be allowed to escape from its programming, to act of its own volition, because that would lead to unforseen consequences. For instance, she wanted him to be sexually impulsive, but no-one's going to release a robot that could potentially rape people to market. When she swore, it asked her if she wanted to stop. When she told it to leave, it got up and left. When she asked it to beg for its life, it turned out an Oscar-worthy performance. It aimed to please, but it didn't have any real needs or wishes of its own.

It suggested earlier on that he came pre-programmed with certain things (like being fucking amazing bed) so I considered it to be another example of that. Part of the manipulative falseness she found so repulsive.

Anyone else wonder if Ash was an intentional reference to Alien?

All the way through the episode I was wracking my brains trying to remember where I've seen the central idea (AI takes on the personality of a real person by scanning their history) before. Still can't rmember where it was though. Grrrr.

Isn't this theme explored in What You Make It, the Michael Marshall Smith collection of short stories?Can't think which story, would have to check at home, but if you remember ever reading it then could be.

It reminded me a bit of Inception, where Leo speaks to Cotillard near the end.

Ariadne: You can't stay here to be with her.

Dom Cobb: I'm not. Saito's dead by now, that means he's down here somewhere. It means I have to find him. I can't stay with her anymore because she doesn't exist.

Mal: I'm the only thing you do believe in anymore.

Dom Cobb: I wish...I wish more than anything, but I can't imagine you with all your complexity, all your perfection, all your imperfection. Look at you, you're just a shade, you're just a shade of my real wife. You're the best that I could do. I'm sorry, you're just not good enough.

But I suppose Ash was a fairly straight/boring person anyway -- his online activity seems to have been a shallower version of an already dull dude. If he had been someone who behaved markedly differently on the internet, we could have seen a manifestation of a raging unhinged forum nerd. Think about how cruel people can be on a forum from behind their keyboard. Think about the batshit weird things you've typed here, which you wouldn't ever say out loud. Think about the "misogynist" version of you who posts in the Female Form thread, and how your girlfriend would hate that version of you.

Excellent point. Brooker really missed a trick there. Once robot boyfriend turned up, it never really went anywhere that was interesting or surprising. Still, it's good to have a show like this, but three episodes a series isn't enough. Surely there must be plenty of writers out there they could approach to spin out the series a big longer, to maybe 12 episodes -- writers who would love to flex their writing muscles on strange, mysterious, chilling one-off stories.