Black Mirror

Nick R

I was a bit dissapointed by the end, to be honest, I thought it was lazy. I'd have preferred the pm to have handled it so badly, got caught on mic saying he hated the duchess or somethihng, that a public fuelled by the media forced him to, like the duffy apologies. As opposed to someone telling him they couldn't keep his family safe if he didn't.

missed this, anyone know if itll be repeated on E4 or even 4OD?

You've got a bit of a wait but it is repeated on Channel 4 on Thursday 15th December at 11.10pm.

As for the episode, I thought it was decent but not brilliant. The performances were good but it never really went far enough beyond its admittedly entertaining set-up. As others have said the ending was needlessly heavy handed too.

Fun stuff, very dark. Anyone complaining Brooker lost his edge when he got a haircut will hopefully think differently. It wasn't quite as clever as I'd have liked, but as a short 'what-if' scenario, a sort of satirical modern-day twilight zone, it was cool. Agree with LC (as always!) that it didn't take the idea far enough and overplayed the ending a bit. But still, it was brisk and dark and different, which is always commendable.

Reading the guardian comments thread, you'd think this was a massive pile of shit. I guess they didn't like the way it poked fun at the guardian. The rest of the comments are utter drivel about how fucking the pig is no worse than eating it, the episode had an anti-female agenda, blah blah blah.

I'm still as left-wing as ever for the most part, but Armando Ianucci was right when he said the Guardian gets more annoying as you get older.

I tend to find the comments horribly right-on liberal nonsense, I don't read them much though. Not nearly as fun as the daily mail comments threads...

Perhaps I'm linking the hipsteresque did-it-before-it-was-cool tone with liberalism, which actually doesn't make any sense when you think about it, ha.

I liked this one though:

It started out absurd, only to ambush with real tragedy. We have a PM who is revealed to be utterly powerless, and left to be demeaned and humiliated while a hypocritical audience winces in disgust. He then gains 3% in approval by being an object of pity but loses the one thing that truly matters to him. A heroic PM would have told the reptilian press officer to get lost and refused to do it, regardless - yet the PM was too human and vulnerable and to do that and his suffering was visceral.

The point of the story was that our politics and our public life have been utterly degraded by our obsession with media and kneejerk hysteria. What is really important is stamped into the ground. The real villains were the ones who kept watching.

Question:

Could anyone empathise with the wife's reaction? Both my partner and I thought she was quite out of order, especially at the end when she just walked away from him. I know it's not nice to see your loved one fuck a pig, but surely she couldn't be so selfish in the context of the show to hold it against him when if he didn't go through with it, the princess was going to be killed and her family's safety couldn't be guaranteed.

He should have told them to go fuck themselves, but instead he was pressured into fucking a pig by his staff and the public, due to the immediacy of the 24 hour news cycle and the reactionary nature of the public and press. He repeated the pattern of trying to be all things to all people and caved to pressure instead of sticking to his guns. That's the worst thing about modern politics in my opinion, I'd much rather each party stop pandering and simply push their ideology plainly.

Edit: Nice post clippa :lol:

Question:

Could anyone empathise with the wife's reaction? Both my partner and I thought she was quite out of order, especially at the end when she just walked away from him. I know it's not nice to see your loved one fuck a pig, but surely she couldn't be so selfish in the context of the show to hold it against him when if he didn't go through with it, the princess was going to be killed and her family's safety couldn't be guaranteed.

I don't think you were supposed to empathise with her or anybody else influencing the PM. She was more bothered about the public perception than what her husband actually had to go through.

And on a different point:

I've seen a number of people say that the artist's finger was a plot hole (not so much on here but on other forums) but I don't think that is the case at all. I think them missing the fact it wasn't a very Princess-like finger was a dig at the current importance of being first with the news. We've seen through this very forum how news outlets can pick up a story without doing any fact checking to back it up.

I don't think you were supposed to empathise with her or anybody else influencing the PM. She was more bothered about the public perception than what her husband actually had to go through.

Well, yes, I can see that, but...

I'm not sure if the bit at the end where she just wandered up the stairs was really necessary. We got the fact that she was against it (I mean, who wouldn't be) but showing her, a year later as still not wanting to even look at him in private seemed somewhat redundant.

Well, yes, I can see that, but...

I'm not sure if the bit at the end where she just wandered up the stairs was really necessary. We got the fact that she was against it (I mean, who wouldn't be) but showing her, a year later as still not wanting to even look at him in private seemed somewhat redundant.

Actually that bit I did like, since it was a nice contrast to their public image in the news montage before it.

Question:

She was probably mad he managed to fuck the pig for an entire hour and all of her mates take the piss out of his nob smelling like bacon