rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick R

Black Mirror

29 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

The black guy with the fro is a good mate. He was the lead in my film Beautiful Devils (shameless plug)

Tell him from me that some stranger on the Internet thought he was great in a great episode. Ep4 was a good one too 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cassidy said:

Ep 3 of the new series is ridiculously dark. Just bloody horrible. 

it seemed really implausible too, the character's actions are very extreme and there's no set up to make it more believable.  And it's not like "the future made her do it" either, just seems really really OTT. I enjoyed it though maybe....

Spoiler

in that future recall is the only way they catch crime? or did I miss something?

USS Callister was great, the brilliant cast really helped. Felt it could have had more (or any) Star Trek jokes but I guess he's not writing for us anymore.

USS Callister and Arkangel.

Hmmmm.

Bit of a shift in the writing here. These aren’t really stories about not-too-distant tech and the unforeseen horrors that may result, they’re just sci-fi - and a little bit hokey at that.

I enjoyed USS Callister, but it was full of plot holes and ultimately the tech was a leap into magic - cloning doesn’t reproduce exactly so why would the digital equivalent and why would it be a consciousness? It was fun, but throwaway for me. I was hoping it might explore a little more into the gender politics and gamergate angle - but it didn’t.

Arkangel was tame and slight - you could’ve told a very similar story without the tech.

So based on those two I’m worried the show has run out of it’s big ideas and is settling into a more conventional groove - but I’m sure there’ll be one or two remaining eps which will deliver.

4 hours ago, cassidy said:

I’m 4 in now and think USS Callister is my fave so far.  

Blimey, that doesn’t bode well for me then, it’s the only one I’ve seen so far and I thought it was just a bit lame, although the acting was great.

It had more than a whiff of Harlan Ellison’s ‘I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream’ about it too.

• Upvote 2

I found the first three episodes to all be pretty weak but episode 4 (Hang the DJ) was great. 

• Upvote 2

Two episodes in. Loved both. :) Jimmi Simpson needs to be in more things. 

Oh, and if you didn’t realise in USS Callister.

The gamer voice at the end was Arron Paul.

I've just burned through the lot. And ... I'm utterly shaken. Reading people's thoughts over the next few days is going to be extremely interesting, to say the least. Black Museum is, by some distance, my new favourite episode, and not just of this show but of any show.

• Upvote 1

I also spotted a brief Gibson nod in Callister, the CTO’s home system seemed to be running an Ono-Sendai OS.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I also spotted a brief Gibson nod in Callister, the CTO’s home system seemed to be running an Ono-Sendai OS.

I noticed nods to Day of the Dead, the Thing and Evil Dead II. And Twilight zone the movie obviously.

Just finished the last episode.

I think this series is a bit of a mixed bag really. It's all excellently shot and acted, but most episodes seemed to be lacking a bit of an edge maybe.

I think Metalhead was my favourite overall. Very tight.

The first episode was decent, and I could watch a whole series of the scenario they ended up in at the end, but what let it down for me was: 

Spoiler

He's so smart, and it's so obvious, why didn't he just exit the game and pull the plug as soon as he returned and realised they were heading for the wormhole...

I think his mentalness demanded that he catch them. Just turning it off wouldn't give him the same satisfaction.

The thing I'm wondering though: why didn't they just go full speed into an asteroid, if they were so intent on dying?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Gambit said:

Two episodes in. Loved both. :) Jimmi Simpson needs to be in more things. 

Oh, and if you didn’t realise in USS Callister.

Reveal hidden contents

The gamer voice at the end was Arron Paul.

It's the first thing I've been able to like Jimmi Simpson in, like, ever. I usually just find him very... I don't know. I have an irrational hatred of him, and I don't know why. I think it's ever since he was that hacker guy in House of Cards.

12 hours ago, DogEyedBoy said:

The first episode was decent, and I could watch a whole series of the scenario they ended up in at the end, but what let it down for me was: 

Hide contents

He's so smart, and it's so obvious, why didn't he just exit the game and pull the plug as soon as he returned and realised they were heading for the wormhole...

USS Callister:

Because they would've continued through the wormhole whether he was in the game or not? The wormhole was the system updating.

Although apparently him being in the system while it updated (and his system was deleted) essentially rendered him comatose - and presumably his system would've been deleted anyway when the update went live, so the crews escape through the wormhole was pointless other than to let them live in an infinite online universe.

The real interesting element to the story was the protagonists' psychological split and the gender politics, which unfortunately only served as scene-setting for a Star Trek pastiche. It didn't quite go dark enough. Same with Arkangel.

17 minutes ago, Meh said:

Hide contents

I think his mentalness demanded that he catch them. Just turning it off wouldn't give him the same satisfaction.

The thing I'm wondering though: why didn't they just go full speed into an asteroid, if they were so intent on dying?

Spoiler

I guess no guarantee of actually dying? They needed to be certain.

Loved episode 1 and can’t wait to get stuck into the rest over the holiday!

It's established that the ship can be damaged, at least - and... well, if they really wanted to die, they could have all been standing next to Jimmi Simpson when he fixes the ship at the end. Easy.

However, the ending we got made me want an entire series of that shit. The premise is really fun, and it's a shame that's all we're getting.

23 minutes ago, Meh said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

They explicitly explained this. The ship would be destroyed, but they can't die so they just float endlessly through space until Fatt Damon picks them up.

• Upvote 2

Okay, cool, but just stand next to Jimmi Simpson when he throws the lever and fries himself

Oh, and, since BM now has...

... a shared universe thing now, I've been wondering where 'Fifteen Million Merits' fits in? It suggests that humanity is pretty much stuck in these massive facilities where they have to exercise to power the place, so I'm guessing it's currently sitting at the end of the timeline?

I don't think

Spoiler

they all fit together necessarily, what ones were confirmed? But maybe Fifteen million merits sits before metal head, just before the machines take over. That was my favourite.

I loved how merciless and unrelenting those dogs were. Totally hopeless, brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Brooker confirmed that they're all set in the same world. It wasn't originally a thing - just easter eggs in certain episodes - but it's now official.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Meh said:

Hide contents

Okay, cool, but just stand next to Jimmi Simpson when he throws the lever and fries himself

They still wouldn't die. Jimmi Simpson didn't die, his charred body would have been screaming in agony until they went into the wormhole. They can't die at all in his universe, that's the problem, it's explained at length. Were you drunk Meh? Were you?

It was explained that they could be brought back. It was the whole point of him keeping their DNA. I was drinking, to be fair, but I'm pretty certain it was explained that, while they could die, they could just as easily be brought back again.

1 hour ago, Meh said:

Hide contents

It was explained that they could be brought back. It was the whole point of him keeping their DNA. I was drinking, to be fair, but I'm pretty certain it was explained that, while they could die, they could just as easily be brought back again.

Spoiler

No, they couldn't die, unless he wanted them to. I think he said that when he took away her face and she was suffocating, but wouldn't die.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rudderless said:

Re. Crocodile (spoilers)

Hide contents

How do you interrogate a hamster, then?

Just visual isn't it.

• Upvote 1