Soul Calibur 5

The Sarge

xojBk.jpg

Namco Bandai has lifted the lid on Soulcalibur V at its press event in Dubai this morning.

The game, set 17 years after Soulcalibur IV, features guest characters, Project Soul producer Hisaharu Tago told Christian Donlan for Eurogamer.

The main character is Patroklos, son of Sophitia. Patroklos is "inspired" by the gameplay of Sophitia, but is "sharper" and "more agile". He has new moves, but they're all inspired by Sophitia's.

V takes the Siegried ending of IV and builds upon it. Seigfried, now 39 years old, no longer wields the Soul Calibur sword.

V is described as a "generational shift", complete with new characters, but SCIV characters will return. "SC 1-4 was a continuous story," Tago said. "We want to make a generational shift with a new story this time."

The Soulcalibur series is famous for the inclusion of characters from other universes, such as Link from The Legend of Zelda and Yoda from Star Wars. Will other non-Soulcalibur characters feature?

"Difficult question," Tago said. "We will have guest characters as we did with Star Wars. Please stay tuned for more information on that."

V marks a shift from two-handed swords to short swords, Tago announced. The story includes "the enigma as to why the swords have become short swords".

The game's new fighting style is described as "lighter, sharper, and more elegant". The online mode has been improved with new features. "Gameplay in IV could be a little heavy, particularly when you were online – we wanted gameplay that was more fast and reactive," Tago said.

On the shift in gameplay: "Maybe the hardcore fans will be afraid that we lose the core of the gameplay, but that's not the case. And for new players it's nice to have gameplay that is more continuous – you don't need to wait as much between moves.

"There is quite some change in the gameplay from SCIV. The pace of the game has been improved, and the combos will be easier to perform, and the moves will be easier to pull out."

Elsewhere, Tago confirmed the create a character feature from previous games in the series returns, but refused to divulge details.

Namco Bandai is yet to show actual gameplay, but promised more information at E3 next month.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-11-first-soulcalibur-v-details

Artwork

agAbR.jpg

ppQux.jpg

yL3Ly.jpg

:)

I still love Soul Calibur 2 on DC, watching that actually makes me want to bust the sticks back out!

More SC is a good thing but ...well does anyone else find the extra non soul calibur characters a bit ...tacky?

"Yeah, we will have new characters but as we've gone a bit batshit lately they'll be from Ridge Racer.

You heard that right. We've got cars in it. And they'll be fighting each other with swords. We want to branch out our premier racing game and this is how we'd thought we'd do it.

"Oh and one more piece of news for fans...its being programed by Mirage"

@Dimahoo:

*cough* been done (ish) *cough*

dayton-usa-cars-fighters-megamix_480x360.jpeg

Hornet - Hornet is a car (number 41) from Daytona USA, the car humorously stands on back wheels and boxes with its front, it plays like a Fighting Vipers character and can have its shell knocked off, revealing body, engine and other parts below. Its voice is sounds of an engine and many other sound effects from Daytona USA, such as screeching tires. Both of Hornet's costumes are a reference to its automatic (Red and Blue) or manual (Red and Gold) transmissions. Its stage is based upon a racecourse from Daytona USA (the Beginner's course from the arcade game, "Three-Seven Speedway").

It's always good to see a new Soul Calibur game, but there are still some problems. Visually, I really liked Calibur and Calibur 2, and to some extent 3, but I felt that visually IV was something of a let-down. Even the early artwork of Siegfried in that trailer with the snowflake armour has me concerned that it will be very similar. Then again, that's purely visual.

The main things this needs, for it to be an immediate purchase for me, is a proper Edge Master mode. If it has an online implementation that matches SSFIV, then that'd be a big plus too, but the Edge Master mode is still my main preference, the absence of which disappointed me in IV and stopped me from buying the PSP version.

As for characters from other IP's, who do we expect to see? Kratos on PS3? Raiden from Metal Gear Rising?

I adored the first one on the Dreamcast but have found every entry since to bore me to tears after a few hours.

Doesn't help how they anime'd everyone up so much with each subsequent installment.

'Boobs Bigger! Eyes Wider! Hair Fopier!'

Yep im with you on that... i did buy 4... but im definitely not gonna get this unless i hear amazing things weeks after launch - after any hype has died... SC was easily one of the best ever 2 was good but not quite great and 3+ where just :/

• 3 weeks later...

It's always good to see a new Soul Calibur game, but there are still some problems. Visually, I really liked Calibur and Calibur 2, and to some extent 3, but I felt that visually IV was something of a let-down. Even the early artwork of Siegfried in that trailer with the snowflake armour has me concerned that it will be very similar. Then again, that's purely visual.

The main things this needs, for it to be an immediate purchase for me, is a proper Edge Master mode. If it has an online implementation that matches SSFIV, then that'd be a big plus too, but the Edge Master mode is still my main preference, the absence of which disappointed me in IV and stopped me from buying the PSP version.

You weren't looking hard enough! Ascending the Tower of Lost Souls in IV is almost exactly the same as Edge Master Mode, and just as enjoyable IMO. As for guest characters, I really wish they wouldn't - but I suspect the days when Namco could afford to forego such a novelty and still sell lots of copies are long gone.