Pro Evo 2012

The Sarge

Damn these videos look really good.

Tell me about it.

I think this instalment looks very promising, like they've spent the last four years trying to make a version of the game that can match past-gen versions, and now that that's pretty much there, they have the chance to actually start improving on the game as a whole.

Getting very excited about this now.

• 2 weeks later...

One on One (coming Oct 14th)

Konami has announced PES 2012 will be released on October 14 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

The game has had its AI revamped so teammates will “work to close down space, defend zonally and hold their line to minimise attacking options.”

Active AI has players holding the defensive line while the gamer defends, and it will also mark oncoming offensive support. This new team mechanism will also “make dummy runs, draw defenders, and work to give the player more options in attack.”

The game also includes the new Teammate Control system which allows the user to control two players at once, offers support play in assisted mode and a fully manual mode which gives the user “complete freedom of movement of the second player.”

Other enhancements include animation, refined overall presentation, recreated general atmospheres, shooting movement and reactions are “much improved,” and the classic ‘behind player’ penalty system has returned.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/07/28/pes-12-dated-for-october-14-new-video-released/

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of info from Gamescom today:

Demo for Xbox/PS3/PC out next week, with another demo to follow later in the year with an updated version of the code.

New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnEttmEHp8g

MyPes brings players from all versions together by integrating with Facebook, allowing you to enter leagues with your Facebook friends where games get played out online and offline.

Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH has revealed full details of its innovative myPES service, which offers players of PES 2012 the chance to upload scores and results to the Facebook social network site.

myPES has been designed and produced in collaboration with argonauten G2 and is a Facebook Application that emphasises the social elements of PES 2012 via connections with the PlayStation®3, Xbox 360® and Windows PC versions of PES 2012. It allows like-minded fans to get together through PES 2012, whether it be comparing various match stats, or setting up leagues and groups with friends on Facebook. Results from matches played both online and offline between two people can be uploaded by the user. The myPES App needs to be installed on Facebook and can be connected with the game via the Personal Data settings. An update available to download for PES 2012 users planned for the day of release will add this functionality to the game.

Players will receive rewards for their activities, with game-related bonuses on offer for specific goals or tasks being attained, while bonuses related to the use of the myPES App are also offered. Finally, there will be hidden bonuses, which will contain further special surprises.

SOURCE

What's the point in putting out a demo when they are going to put another one out later with updated code? Should the demo not be representative of the actual game?

Seems odd to me.

Yeah me too. People who have played the preview code (to be on next week's demo) say it's good enough to show off, and I can only imagine Konami want to show it off asap to convert some of the fans who went to FIFA in the past few years.

To be honest, I'm kinda gutted the demo is out next week, that's going to cause two months of unbearable waiting until the game is actually released :huh: (#MiddleClassProblems)

I have a Silver Xbox Live account, and last time I tried to download a new demo it said I needed to be a Gold Xbox Live member to be able to - can I assume this will also be true for the upcoming PES Demo?

Seems a bit mean making me pay £5 for a demo, since I don't use online features.

Gold members get first week access to demos so this will definitely be the case. I'm not sure if those 48 hour trials are a way around this (they certainly don't allow you the 'Deal of the week' offers.)

Back to the game, the recent gameplay videos from Gamescom have brought up a big issue with every player making a forward run after they release a pass. Defenders are bombing foward all the time resulting in chaotic looking end to end matches. I hope this isn't going to be an issue like the green zone thing or the never fixed catch up bug in 2011. The fan sites are denying there is an issue but I wouldn't trust Adam from WENB any further than I could shot put a rhino. Early demo for all, though, so let's complain about it next week...

After my recent time with the game I can safely say that I'll be getting this. The A.I. is simply superb and makes FIFA look like a last gen game.

I know that EA don't give a rat's ass about AI, so PES will probably be my first choice.

We're in 2011, who really enjoys single-player football games anymore?

I'm not being an ass, serious question this.

I would if Fifa actually had some decent A.I to.play against.

Playing online is fine but most people you play are glitchy fuckers that only ever play with Barca or Real Madrid.

FIFA 12 is making headway to stop that stuff. As Sith said, only the minority play single player but that's not to say friends wouldn't play AI together if there was a co op mode (horde) or online players are switched in for AI (Street Fighter).

It's still years behind FIFA and FIFA is farther ahead than Pro Evo ever was in it's prime.

The single player experience is probably one of the main reasons why Pro Evo hasn't been completely buried by Fifa during its fall from grace. Master League, even after all these years, still provides a deep and satisfying football RPG like experince that you cannot replicate the same quality anywhere else (despite what EA may claim). Also I'm not a big online player at all, most of my multiplayer fun comes from local 1 v 1 or 2 v 2 set ups. The A.I improvements being touted are getting huge praise even by some of the most cynical and skeptical of people. It may be hyperbole but next week when the demo hits we will see if it truly is the shake up that football games desperately need.

The single player experience is probably one of the main reasons why Pro Evo hasn't been completely buried by Fifa during its fall from grace. Master League, even after all these years, still provides a deep and satisfying football RPG like experince that you cannot replicate the same quality anywhere else (despite what EA may claim). Also I'm not a big online player at all, most of my multiplayer fun comes from local 1 v 1 or 2 v 2 set ups. The A.I improvements being touted are getting huge praise even by some of the most cynical and skeptical of people. It may be hyperbole but next week when the demo hits we will see if it truly is the shake up that football games desperately need.

I was just about to say pretty much the exact same thing until Troublegum posted. Couldn't agree more, if you've not tried Master League then you really should.

I prefer playing football games in single-player.

I agree with Troublegum, it's just more satisfying. I find the whole online gaming thing a bit too competitive anyway, I just like challenging myself, trying to score perfect goals, or get the most assists or something.

Are you serious? The best bit is always the single player for me, especially playing co-op with my trusty buddy.

Online is fun and I play quite a lot, but it's full of people obsessed with winning which results in matches that look nothing like proper football, always taking advantage of the game's inconsistencies. Online play is still inherently flawed in sports games.

FIFA 12 is making headway to stop that stuff. As Sith said, only the minority play single player but that's not to say friends wouldn't play AI together if there was a co op mode (horde) or online players are switched in for AI (Street Fighter).

It's still years behind FIFA and FIFA is farther ahead than Pro Evo ever was in it's prime.

Yeah, I have heard the same story every year from EA. Who cares what they say? They left FIFA 11 unpatched with major bugs, especially in Career mode.

Sure, FIFA is ahead of PES in the online department but if you think about it, the Master League Online is probably the best new idea for an online sports game for years.

Either way it doesn't matter. The EA hype machine knows that millions will buy their games, so they don't care about fixing stuff.

PES won't sell like FIFA but this year's version seems to be fixing some major gameplay errors, while offering A.I. that's light years ahead from FIFA.

I prefer playing football games in single-player.

I agree with Troublegum, it's just more satisfying. I find the whole online gaming thing a bit too competitive anyway, I just like challenging myself, trying to score perfect goals, or get the most assists or something.

How can beating robotic AI be more satisfying than beating a human opponent?

You guys should check out the forum FIFA league if you don't like the shitty people you find in online ranked games.

Both Pro Evo and FIFA need improvments in key areas but the AI is bottom of the pile for me.

Both Pro Evo and FIFA need improvments in key areas but the AI is bottom of the pile for me.

See I certainly don’t agree. The AI affects how the game plays regardless of whether you are playing the CPU, an online opponent or your best mate sitting next to you. In any team sports games you are almost totally reliant on the team AI to make the game fun and for it to simulate any semblance of a real match - without it the game is nothing in single or multi player. Think of a time when you wished the AI controlled player would make that overlapping run into acres of space instead of standing there like a lemon so you could get a cross or shot in. The times a keeper will spill a shot right back in to the mixer for a cheap tap in (a PES special). I could go on and on but you get the point.

Improvements in AI will be massively important to the quality of future PES and Fifa releases.

How can beating robotic AI be more satisfying than beating a human opponent?

It can't.

However, I take little satisfaction out of beating a human opponent that I don't know, have never met, will never talk to outside of that single game. They may as well have been an AI.

That's why the FIFA league on the forum is a lot of fun - there's a community that's built around it. It's not quite as good as beating your friend on the same sofa, but it's tremendous fun.

However, the single player appeal is in the long run, the career aspects, the things that aren't replicated online or in local multiplayer, and for players who don't have the dedication to put in regular shifts to keep up with people in an MMO, never really can be, and for me these game modes are far more satisfying (when done well) than isolated friendly matches.

It can't.

However, I take little satisfaction out of beating a human opponent that I don't know, have never met, will never talk to outside of that single game. They may as well have been an AI.

That's why the FIFA league on the forum is a lot of fun - there's a community that's built around it. It's not quite as good as beating your friend on the same sofa, but it's tremendous fun.

A quick match online is perfect for people who want to play whenever they want. No stress, no arranging games or waiting 2 weeks for your friend to come over, just BANG straight in! no messing about. Even when I play in the forum leagues I will always still play quick matches and enjoy them.

This shouldn't even be a debate. Good single player and good online should not be optional. We should expect both.

I tend to play mostly in single player and FIFA as much as I enjoyed 9 & 10 (never did pick up 11) was good, but it did lack something to match the Master League in single player or even worse something as simple as the trophy room in PES. You play a single player tourney, win it and all you get is an exit tournament screen! Nothing to look back on and see what you've won over the months.

I'm hopefull that this PES finally this gen gives us an option for a football game, as the intial improvements of FIFA seems to have stalled or at worst be aimed totally at the online side of things at the expense of the single player experience.

Also, the "players going forward the minute they pass the ball" is too evident in this video. I hope they will get it fixed.

Jon Murphy has just tweeted the following

Also got news about a pass and run bug. It has been sorted, but need to explain more after the demo details are out