How could we give the FPS a shot in the arm?

squirtle

Something J Pickford said in the Doom3 trailer thread about it looking technically wonderful but the same old same old locations etc made me wonder just how could we take the FPS into new territory?

So any suggestions?

What would shake the FPS up? Half Life 2 for all it's smart physics is still just a shoot the aliens and marines fest (and for some reason reminds me of HG Wells' The War of the Worlds). What is needed to pushe the genre out of this rut?

Is it possible? Is the very nature of army/space marines/aliens etc so intrinsically linked to the genre that it would not be feasible to take them out. I Haven't played Clive Barker's Undying but from what I've heard that may be one way. There's also the Thief games and Deus Ex I suppose, but for sheer balls out shooting, where can the genre go that's new and fresh?

Anyone?

Where can any genre go that's new and fresh? That's the problem as far as I see it, that it's classed into such a rigid category already that there's not really much else you can do. It's like saying "where can the Formula 1 racing simulation game go in new directions?" Answer - none really.

So what I propose is a big shake up of what defines an 'FPS' in the first place. All you'd need to keep is the viewpoint (ie. first person) and form unique concepts around them. Why have shooting? Why have enemies? Why not... driving a car? Or fighting? Or a first person platform game (yeah, I know we've got some already)? Other than that, I suggest just improvements to AI and enviroments, but perhaps change the nature of control as well. Maybe we need VR suits that you control the game via a glove, or a trackerball.

I dunno, anything would be good. Do we even really need games in first person view anyway? And if we do, do we really need them to change that much?

Just some random thoughts.

(Oh and shooting in the arm would be good!)

I suppose we've pretty much shot everything we can within an FPS shooter (aliens, zombies, soldiers, criminals) so I'm not sure where we can go from there apart from different types of aliens or soliders etc.

The 'Space Marine/Solider/Lone survivor' game type just lends itself well to the viewpoint of the genre.

The said, the SNES has an interesting (shit) FPS game game called 'Noah's Ark' where you had to fire food in the the mouths of hungry animals to keep them alive.

Would I rather be doing that than breaking into top secret russian bases, taking out security cameras etc though? No, if I'm honest, I wouldn't.

I think decent physics is the next thing to bring a shot into the arm to the humble FPS, and I don't mean in an 'eye-candy' type way - I mean through environment manipulation and puzzle solving. I also expect vehicles to become pretty much standard, and there's lots of scope for fun with that.

We'll still be a shooting stuff, like.

Get Tecmo to do it. :huh:

Online and Co-Op play will see the FPS get a new lease of life. Can anyone imagine a FPS online version of GTA? Real gamers as targets, groups of gamers making up gangs, and a die=restart hardship.

I suppose we've pretty much shot everything we can within an FPS shooter (aliens, zombies, soldiers, criminals)

Badgers. We havent shot badgers yet. With Jam guns. With custard upgrades leading to a full Trifle cannon.

They tried Nerf Arena Blast :huh:

I suppose we've pretty much shot everything we can within an FPS shooter (aliens, zombies, soldiers, criminals)

Badgers. We havent shot badgers yet. With Jam guns. With custard upgrades leading to a full Trifle cannon.

That's true. I've always fancied projecting a volley of aubergenes at terrified ostriches, but I can't see that happening.

Especially since I was banned from going within 200 metres of Bristol Zoo.

I think decent physics is the next thing to bring a shot into the arm to the humble FPS, and I don't mean in an 'eye-candy' type way - I mean through environment manipulation and puzzle solving. I also expect vehicles to become pretty much standard, and there's lots of scope for fun with that.

We'll still be a shooting stuff, like.

Agreed on this, the only game I can think of that's tried it really is Trespasser, I played the demo for ages pushing boxes off the platform until I'd made a column I could jump down to to survive the fall.....

And THEN realised you could shoot the supports out of the portacabin...

More co-op for me. I don't know what Bungie's plans are for Halo 2 multiplayer, but I'd really like them to take the co-op on a level or two. 4-player online co-op through the levels would be fantastic, although possibly difficult to implement.

And Planetside does sound interesting. A "consoled" version of that could be good.

My comment was specifically about imagery. Virtually all FPS games seem to be set in warehouses\industrial complexes or things that look similar (space ship cargo holds etc.).

It just seems so repetitive and lacking in imagination.

Don't get me started on crates...

What about the Berlin/Stalingrad levels in BF1942?

An FPS, featuring Aliens and Zombies, on a (london) map straight out of MSR then?

The thing that initially drew me to FPS games was the fact that you could believe you really playing the part of that game character.

I also love games where you can choose between doing normal stuff and interacting with people, places or objects or simply getting stuck in an kicking the shit out of people, places (or er...objects) - Shenmue for example.

I think it would be great if there was a FP game that initially placed you in more normal situations and then you take your own adventure from there. Deus X had a fairly good crack, but they seem to have shy'd away a little with the sequel.

A slightly less linear, intelligent and far more interative first person environment to wander around in would be ace.

And if marines, aliens or whatever decide to turn up in it, then.....

My comment was specifically about imagery. Virtually all FPS games seem to be set in warehouses\industrial complexes or things that look similar (space ship cargo holds etc.).

What about that one that looks like a pencil shaded drawing?

My comment was specifically about imagery.  Virtually all FPS games seem to be set in warehouses\industrial complexes or things that look similar (space ship cargo holds etc.).

Pencil Whipped you mean? I had a go of the demo and found it to be quite scary, to be honest.

My comment was specifically about imagery.  Virtually all FPS games seem to be set in warehouses\industrial complexes or things that look similar (space ship cargo holds etc.).

pencil-whipped?

There's also a brush mod for quake, pencil, blueprint, and biro effects. Quite good, actually.

I want to see more life-simulators. I mean, imagine something akin to Animal crossing, GTA and Shenmue all rolled into one? Interactive environments like in both Deus Ex and Red Faction. Plus it would have to be online.

As soon as you go online though real-life will go out the window.

All sorts of tossers online waiting to dispell any notion of realism (unless of course you normally have a gang annoying punks swearing and following you around)