rllmuk
Ghost

Forza Horizon

Hey, I love Horizon, esp the first one but a line in that annoyed me...

"Criterion gave up Burnout for the life raft of NFS - erm no, not true. "

The Canadian dev team had dropped a bollock and delivered a 3/10 game. Being a fan of the series since the 3DO version (which I still own!) I rang up the head of Publishing for NA and said something like 'they have screwed it up. give it to me. give them time to retool. i've got the tools, the ambitious team and we'd love to have a crack with real licensed cars." He said "ok, it's yours." And that was that.

In my mind at that moment, there was never a chance in hell I was giving up Burnout - which I'd started in 2000 with a small, talented and ambitious team.

I gave it up when I left EA in 2013.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

57 minutes ago, CrashedAlex said:

Hey, I love Horizon, esp the first one but a line in that annoyed me...

"Criterion gave up Burnout for the life raft of NFS - erm no, not true. "

The Canadian dev team had dropped a bollock and delivered a 3/10 game. Being a fan of the series since the 3DO version (which I still own!) I rang up the head of Publishing for NA and said something like 'they have screwed it up. give it to me. give them time to retool. i've got the tools, the ambitious team and we'd love to have a crack with real licensed cars." He said "ok, it's yours." And that was that.

In my mind at that moment, there was never a chance in hell I was giving up Burnout - which I'd started in 2000 with a small, talented and ambitious team.

I gave it up when I left EA in 2013.

And went on to create the best NFS to date.....

@Dudley Fair enough. I found it hard to be interested in "Most Wanted" personally as the tools, tech and workflows were past their prime.

Back on topic though - the first "Horizon" is well worth a look running on Xbox One.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

Back on topic though - the first "Horizon" is well worth a look running on Xbox One.

I loved the original game and regularly went back to it over the years. It's probably still my favourite as it feels so pure, devoid of too much frills. Just you, the car and a varied map filled with nice races and the occasional special challenge. Absolutely loved blasting around in my Shelby Mustang GT500 and Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport :)

The physics are just right and I have fond memories of playing the demo with my girlfriend - actually being able to teach her the basics of driving and sliding on loose surface with RWD and 4WD cars.

Not to mention the ace Rally Expansion, which is probably the closest thing we got to a proper classic Sega Rally style game since Sega Rally Championship 2 :wub:

Forza Horizon 2 was bigger and more beautiful, but ruined it a bit with the new emphasis on off-roading - doing 200 MPH through fields in Ferrari's just didn't feel quite right...

Still, really loved some of the street circuits and caning around in slightly tuned up road cars such as the Toyota Supra en Caterham R500.

Forza Horizon 3 dialed back on that silly off-roading a bit by making that something more suited to specific car classes. All in all, I'd rate this as the best of the Horizon games (despite 1 still being my favourite).

Forza Horizon 4 is certainly the most beautiful and varied game, but just feels like a huge mess design-wise: finishing last in all races will still see you 'completing' them, there's no proper explanation or option to deal with car classes in multiplayer races and it all feels rather pointless. Loads of content but bloated and unnecessary complex. Still fun to just blast around, but so much wasted potential.

Can only hope they trim the fat a lot for the next one, as I'd love to just enjoy driving and drifting cars in Japan!

• Upvote 3

Yeah @McSpeed's post is bang on. 3's the best, best location, best races, it still felt like the formula was fresh enough. I'd add a caveat to 4 in that the multiplayer is fantastic when there aren't connection issues. 4's by far the best of the series online. 

8 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Yeah @McSpeed's post is bang on. 3's the best, best location, best races, it still felt like the formula was fresh enough. I'd add a caveat to 4 in that the multiplayer is fantastic when there aren't connection issues. 4's by far the best of the series online. 

I would love to agree but very quickly fell out of love with 4's multiplayer due to a huge design error when you actually participate in set events. The 'forced car classes' thing sounds like a nice idea on paper, but cuts up the field.

Any system like in earlier Forza's, from loaner cars to homologation possibilities, would be much more fun as you can just race friends and randoms in similar machinery.

(Though admittedly I haven't played 4 again recently to see if this has been changed.)

1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

Forza Horizon 2 was bigger and more beautiful, but ruined it a bit with the new emphasis on off-roading - doing 200 MPH through fields in Ferrari's just didn't feel quite right...

Still, really loved some of the street circuits and caning around in slightly tuned up road cars such as the Toyota Supra en Caterham R500.

I agree with this but with a side note that the 360 version of the game didn’t let you go off-road to the same extent, and was a better game in that respect. The Fast and Furious spin off demonstrated this well.

• Upvote 1

I like 2 best.  I like the simplicity of just choosing which city to drive to and then choosing a four-race championship.  Couldn't be bothered with needing fans to expand festival sites in 3.

I prefer the DLC in 3 and 4 to that of 2, however.