IGNORED

West Ham United Football Club

djbhammer

Good win and solid performance. We held on somewhat. Our centre mids were missing the second half. Kral for me, I thought was a solid 6, no more. However, we have seen this with Benrahma, and Bowen, and especially Fornals, so time will tell. 

On 20/09/2021 at 18:06, mrben09 said:

Finally put the blog up and may have advertised it in the Man U thread on here, so that should be fun. lol @Scruff calling me LJ, showing your age there mate. Also nice to see some more peeps in here as well. Welcome (back ?) 

I've always called you LJ.  I guess the people here pay as much attention to me as my kids do :D 

Good win last night. Lucky with Noble; should have had a pen given against him and his 8 meter long sliding 'tackles' could have resulted in at least a couple of yellows, however, what the fuck are the Manchester fans going on about with claims of biased reffing? Matic should have been sent off for deliberately kneeing Coufal in the spuds, Bailly(sp?) should have been at least booked for simulation but pretending Noble had hit him in the face. We kicked the ball out for an injury to one of their players, they go and try and score from it.

I thought Kral was busy and industrial but his passing wasn't the best but given it was his debut and given the strength of the league he's come from he'll get plenty of leeway from me, same as Vlasic.

Was really disappointed for Fredricks too. He's looked really good the last couple of games he has played. Hope it's nothing serious.

Yeah Kral had a decent performance but gave the ball away a few times.

Everyone is raving about Areola's performance but when he punched that cross, I wasn't so sure. I hope he isn't one of those keepers who is a great "shot-stopper" but flaps at crosses and set-pieces. I'd trade shot-stopping for a tidy keeper who can command their box and has good distribution to be honest.

14 hours ago, Scruff said:

We kicked the ball out for an injury to one of their players, they go and try and score from it.

Was that the drop ball at the end?  That was hilarious.  The ref drops the ball, the West Ham player (sensing a loophole) just looks at it and refuses to touch it.  After a while, Fernandes runs off with the ball and puts it in the net before complaining vociferously when it was called back.

John Moss was terrible, but not because he's biased.  No-one in the Man Utd thread was saying he was biased.  We were just complaining that he's crap.  He is crap.  He's consistently rubbish and seemed to get every decision wrong on Wednesday, but we're not going to complain about the ones he got wrong in our favour, are we?  Him and Kevin Friend are among the worst referees I've ever seen.

7 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Was that the drop ball at the end?  That was hilarious.  The ref drops the ball, the West Ham player (sensing a loophole) just looks at it and refuses to touch it.  After a while, Fernandes runs off with the ball and puts it in the net before complaining vociferously when it was called back.

John Moss was terrible, but not because he's biased.  No-one in the Man Utd thread was saying he was biased.  We were just complaining that he's crap.  He is crap.  He's consistently rubbish and seemed to get every decision wrong on Wednesday, but we're not going to complain about the ones he got wrong in our favour, are we?  Him and Kevin Friend are among the worst referees I've ever seen.

No, it was when Yarmalenko kicked the ball out after Bailly I think went down. Your lot didn't give the ball back and instead tried to go and score from it. Funny but the last time a team tried to do that to us was those other paragons of virtue Liverpool in the 2006 FA Cup final and we all know what happened there.

Moss is terrible and while it was a pen (even though Lingard went down very easily it was still a shirt pull in the box) I've no idea how the assaults from Matic (deliberate knee in the bollocks, studs down Lanzini's calf which made him get subbed) and the disgraceful Rivaldo impression from Bailly didn't go unpunished. I'd say you benefitted from Moss' awfulness more than we did in that match.

Watched it at home ………

Battled till the end, and got the rewards. Souchek needs a proper rest. Pretty anonymous most of the game. Rice indomitable again. Benrahma was fantastic, Bowen was busy everywhere ,and his double deflection helped. Antonio took his goal well. I’m slowly coming round to the fact that he actually is a striker. Noble took no penalties. Great afternoon. Fab not at fault for their goal. Great finish by Raphina (spelling) 

Sounds like Moyes might be thinking of resting Zouma, Rice, Benrahma, Bowen and Antonio tonight plus Coufal is doubt and Fredericks is out, which means Ben Johnson could be in (did have a good game in the league cup though I thought).

I think midfield of Kral, Soucek, Fornals, Lanzini, Vlasic should do the business anyway but if that means Yarmolenko up front, he is the one player who really hasn't pulled his weight yet this season.

Part of me thinks "let's get the home games in the bag" but I don't know anything about Rapid Wien - presumably they have looked at them and don't think they are up to the standard.

Just speculation though, might be off the mark.

Not a great game. Lovely cameo from Pablo at the end. Thought Manu looked good too. Feel sorry for Vlasic. I think he'll come good and trust the managers faith in him but he seems to be trying too hard.

Thought Johnson looks good in his natural position - far more defensively minded than Coufal or Fredricks. Sweetly taken goal from Benny too.

2-0, four scored none conceded top of the group. What more could you ask for?

Ben Johnson was my man of the match tbh. Yarmolenko did well in the build-up to the first goal, but his work rate just totally dropped off by the second half. Bowen coming on made a huge difference in that regard. If he could improve his finishing, he could be a seriously good player. Glad we got the 3 points, that penalty would have been a sickener, a draw would have totally flattered them.

Johnson was great, Noble should have not been ahead of Kral. Might have been a bit of a sentimental call from Moyes. Lead the team out at home in our first ever meaningful European match in the stadium. Another clean sheet. Has anyone seen my large water cooler bottle ? 

Yarma was my MOTM. read more here http://www.mrben09.com !

Good atmosphere last night. The Vienna fans were certainly up for it. Rice had his usual Rolls Royce performance. Big game Sunday. Win that and were in a hugely impressive position going into the international break.

9 hours ago, mrben09 said:

Johnson was great, Noble should have not been ahead of Kral. Might have been a bit of a sentimental call from Moyes. Lead the team out at home in our first ever meaningful European match in the stadium. Another clean sheet. Has anyone seen my large water cooler bottle ? 

Yarma was my MOTM. read more here http://www.mrben09.com !

Yep Noble was well off the place unfortunately.

20 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

It is going to be a tough one, Brentford have looked really good this season.

Going to be honest, bit of trepidation there. Partly due to supporting this fucking club for 40 odd years, and partly because Brentford look really good. I don't think they'll get the aerial measure of Zouma and /Dawson/Oggy/Issa the same way they did Liverpool and Arsenal but Toney is dangerous and they play without fear. I'd love a win but wouldn't be upset with a draw.

Stupid West Ham conditioning to think like this when we've had one loss in our previous 19 games (including pre-season). 

We were there today, what a sickener. Really tired first half, thought we dominated the second half and should have done enough to win it tbh.

Demonstrated how tough it will be playing Thursday night Europa League games and then only having a couple of days to prepare for Premier League fixtures.

8 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

We were there today, what a sickener. Really tired first half, thought we dominated the second half and should have done enough to win it tbh.

Demonstrated how tough it will be playing Thursday night Europa League games and then only having a couple of days to prepare for Premier League fixtures.

I'm not 100% on the Thurs/Sun excuse (not from you, it's a widely disseminated one). There were players today that didn't play on Thurs (or didn't play long) that looked terrible. We have been starting games really slowly and it's costing us. 

I thought a point would have been a fair result but we got a fortuitous win last min winner last week and we've conceded one this week. I think Oggy and Fabs are getting close to losing their places and ATM, I'd be looking very sternly at Coufal and Soucek too as they both look desperately short of form. 

Coufal was really not good first half, just lumping balls forward.

I think with the Europe thing it isn't so much that players are tired, it is that you don't have the same amount of prep time, you've probably got maybe a day with the squad? Brentford on the other hand get all week to prepare for that game with no distractions.

Been a while since the game but yes, we were poor, and we need to shake things up. Getting bombed out of the League Cup will help. Soucek hasn't looked the same all season, but that 3 games in a week on the last international duty for both of them hasn't helped. No blog, as..... lets just say, I was a little green around the gills on the Monday morning. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty unimpressed with the pictures doing the rounds of Romero spitting on Fornals. If the pics are authenticated then he needs to have the book thrown at him. Masuaku got a 6(?) game ban and that was years before a highly infectious virus that has killed hundreds of thousands over the world was doing the rounds.