IGNORED

West Ham United Football Club

djbhammer

Seems big Kurt has popped his ACL and will be out for the season. Typical West Ham luck, get two great CB's who are forming a really good partnership and both do their ACL's within weeks of each other.

I really like Diop so I hope this is the catalyst for him kicking on and cutting out the brain farts plus I'll be happy if Baptiste/Alese get the chance to step up and show what they're made of.

Hamstring tendon injury for Zouma, people saying 6-12 weeks. No surgery. Not his bad knee. Could have been much worse imo.

I don't think we need to panic. Fixtures come thick and fast now obviously but Iooking at them, I think Diop and Dawson should really be able to step up against the likes of Burnley and Norwich until we can get backup in January. Maybe an opportunity for one of the under 23s to step up as back-up.

Anymore crocked CBs though and Rice would have to play in there.

22 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Hamstring tendon injury for Zouma, people saying 6-12 weeks. No surgery. Not his bad knee. Could have been much worse imo.

I don't think we need to panic. Fixtures come thick and fast now obviously but Iooking at them, I think Diop and Dawson should really be able to step up against the likes of Burnley and Norwich until we can get backup in January. Maybe an opportunity for one of the under 23s to step up as back-up.

Anymore crocked CBs though and Rice would have to play in there.

I think we have other options before we do that. Put Rice in defence and you completely blunt 80% of our game. We could go three at the back with Dawson/Diop in the middle of Johnson and Cresswell (assuming Ben isn't out for a long time) or I've heard rumours that Kral can play CB too? Plus the U23's as you say. Moving Rice would be the absolute last resort for me.

We got lucky with injuries last season (except at the tail end) so no surprise we're going to start picking up some, especially with the amount of games we're playing.

In Moyes we trust.

9 minutes ago, Scruff said:

I think we have other options before we do that. Put Rice in defence and you completely blunt 80% of our game. We could go three at the back with Dawson/Diop in the middle of Johnson and Cresswell (assuming Ben isn't out for a long time) or I've heard rumours that Kral can play CB too? Plus the U23's as you say. Moving Rice would be the absolute last resort for me.

We got lucky with injuries last season (except at the tail end) so no surprise we're going to start picking up some, especially with the amount of games we're playing.

In Moyes we trust.

Oh yeah "play Rice in there" was a joke really, he obviously is much more important bossing things in midfield.

Johnson only has a low grade hamstring injury so hopefully not too long before he is back, still gives us the option of 3 at the back.

Basically I don't think we should be panicking and paying £30million for some random Championship CB in January. I'd much prefer us to see if any of our under 23s can step up. They are going to have to at some point, now is as good a time as any.

I was there last night and very very impressed with back four, particularly Longelo. Zagreb aren't mugs and they had to win that to go through but outside of a wonder goal that Yarmolenko was at fault for (although apparently he had a pop at Ashby, the prick - the sooner he is gone, the better, the only player in the whole squad who never even threatens to put in a shift), Zagreb created very little.

If we had to call on any of them, I would feel confident they could do a job. Alese spoke very well after the game as well I thought.

Perkins was outmuscled up front, but understandable as a 17 year old. Felt like he might be better playing between the lines rather than try to hold up play a la Antonio. They didn't create much for him though tbf and his best moment was getting down the left and dinking one in for Yarmolenko who typically fluffed his lines.

1 hour ago, ChewMagma said:

I was there last night and very very impressed with back four, particularly Longelo. Zagreb aren't mugs and they had to win that to go through but outside of a wonder goal that Yarmolenko was at fault for (although apparently he had a pop at Ashby, the prick - the sooner he is gone, the better, the only player in the whole squad who never even threatens to put in a shift), Zagreb created very little.

If we had to call on any of them, I would feel confident they could do a job. Alese spoke very well after the game as well I thought.

Perkins was outmuscled up front, but understandable as a 17 year old. Felt like he might be better playing between the lines rather than try to hold up play a la Antonio. They didn't create much for him though tbf and his best moment was getting down the left and dinking one in for Yarmolenko who typically fluffed his lines.

Yarmalenko was utter bobbins. He had the look of a player that was worried his move to Genoa would be off if he even broke a sweat. I can't blame him for wanting a move and trying to protect himself - he's at the end of his career and wants that last move but fucking hell man, you're paid over 100k bags a week; be a professional and at least pretend to be an athlete rather that someone auditioning for an extra on The Walking Dead.

I thought the whole back four looked good but especially the full backs and Baptiste, whom I literally have jeans that are older than him.

I think any team who has lost their entire first choice back four will struggle but apart from Dawson and Rice (and Ashby late on) we were bang average last night.

Antonio was absolutely dreadful, worst game I have ever seen from him. Seeing him at RB too was awful, those days were long gone I thought. Ashby should have came on as soon as Coufal was sent off. 

We need 2 strikers in Jan as far as Im concerned. Plus these games have proven how important Cresswell is to our attacks, we have badly missed his deliveries from the left. 

Must reinforce otherwise I can see a slide down the table with our injuries.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice win yesterday, Bowen is looking like the real deal, surely can't be long before he gets an England call up.

Good to see Antonio starting to emerge from his tough patch as well.

Soucek scoring was interesting as well. It was a classic Soucek goal, a great run from deep so opposition fail to pick him up, something that has been missing a bit this season. Moyes needs to find a way for Rice and Soucek to play together that doesn't stifle Soucek from getting forward. Obviously Rice is outstanding in all departments, but you can't sniff at 10+ goals from a deep-lying midfielder either. Maybe that involves telling Rice he has to hold more, possibly a tough conversation.

I'm sure Rice himself wants to prove that he can play box-to-box and add more goals to his game because we all know that box-to-box midfielders are probably more feted in this country than any other position, certainly over holding midfielders but adding Soucek's goals could be the difference between a good season and a great season.

If we could go 4-3-3 with someone else holding and both Rice and Soucek having license, that would be very interesting, but as good as Noble was yesterday, he isn't at that standard anymore, and Moyes clearly does not trust Kral enough at the moment, plus it would be a risk with our current back four.

Strange 3 points. Clinical first half with chances but defensively all over the shop and second half we were poor. The tactical sub of Masuaku on for Johnson (on a yellow) backfired as he simply cannot defend.

We are missing Zouma, Ogbonna and Cresswell so much. Hopefully defensive reinforcements incoming during this transfer window. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, mrben09 said:

Massive. Odds on us getting banana skinned in the next round ?

I'm worried about the game! If this had been at home, easy does it but being away just gives me that slight concern!  Hopefully we go strong on team selection as we should not underestimate them in any form.  Non league football has vastly improved over the years and they are doing well in their league. Hope it's a TV game so that Kidderminster have a nice windfall as that is what should happen when a non league side get's this far, fair play to them.

2 hours ago, Scruff said:

Can you imagine the scenes if Liverpool or Man City had that happen, it wasn't given and the press barely said a word about it?

Every football fan thinks their team is hard done by. It’s always been this way. What sort of ‘scenes’ would you expect? Just more people moaning on the internet because they have more fans?