IGNORED

West Ham United

djbhammer

Enjoy these nights. Soak it in and be left wanting more. 

Get to next season's European Cup by winning the UEFA Cup it has so many better memories that finishing 4th. 

But more than anything enjoy the journey. European nights under the lights are special and from what I could hear yesterday West Ham can create special nights.

53 minutes ago, Adrock said:

If West Ham are to get to the final they'll have beaten one of the favourites in Lyon and maybe even Barcelona. It's a massive challenge, but a nice one.

Are Lyon one of the favourites? They are currently sitting in 10th in Ligue 1.

What a night. That ground was rocking. Stood the whole game in the upper tier. First goal saw people falling over seats, proper limbs. As good as anything as I experienced at Upton Park. Been on light duties today.  Next up,  the Herbert's from along the road. Been offered a ticket.  But,  I think I'd better stay away as its in the home end. 

7 hours ago, nightwaxon said:

What a night. That ground was rocking. Stood the whole game in the upper tier. First goal saw people falling over seats, proper limbs. As good as anything as I experienced at Upton Park. Been on light duties today.  Next up,  the Herbert's from along the road. Been offered a ticket.  But,  I think I'd better stay away as its in the home end. 

Probably, for the first time I really couldn't give a chuff about the game on Sunday. You know what they'll be talking about - cup final, pikeys, wet spam, all the usual creativity you could expect from single celled organisms but it feels like such a come down playing them after Thurs.

Pfft, bigger fish to fry than the lillywhites. Absolutely piss myself if we beat them though, even though I'm expecting a loss.

Pretty disappointed to be honest. We didn't play at all.  Apart from Kane and Son (both superb), they weren't much better. Definitely after the Lord Mayor show that one. Now we know where our priority lies.  

Inevitable really after Thursday's heroics and I am not too disappointed. Personally I think we should be going all out for Europa League glory now, even if that means falling short and finishing 10th in the league. I believe winning the Europa is now an easier route to Champs League football anyway, even if it is double or bust.

Let's be honest we won't have Rice or Bowen after this summer, next year is going to be something of a rebuild given the age of the squad, this right now is our chance to win something. We should have pulled out the stops in January, we didn't, it is what it is, but I think we have as good a chance as any one of the remaining teams left in the competition and I would be absolutely made up to see Rice lift a trophy in Mark Noble's final season at the club.

On 18/03/2022 at 14:19, ChewMagma said:

Are Lyon one of the favourites? They are currently sitting in 10th in Ligue 1.

Looks like I was wrong, West Ham are ahead of them in the betting. You'd all better be booking your Barcelona flights.

• 2 weeks later...

Massive again . So massive that because I couldn't go , due to something planned in months ago, my wife decided to take herself off on her own, with my ticket. In 15 years of marriage this has never happened !

Large indeed, and so I need to up my game. I'm in the ballot for Chelsea away. 

She's not blogging !

For the first time in a long time I've worn to work today, the same shirt and trousers as the Sevilla game, worn the same jacket, even brought a West Ham scarf (apart from the last Euro game at home , I would have to go back 30 years since the last time I wore one !).

In other news, some of you who may have watch the Sevilla game on the telly, may remember a very young lad waving a Ukraine flag around (he was on several times) . Long story short, he got a bit carried away at the end , and clambers the hoarding when Yarmo came over to the fans. Both him and his dad (a good friend of mine) yesterday got a ban till the end of the season (including losing the money they paid for 2 Lyon tickets, and ticket upgrades they got for Burnley next week). Way to go WHU !

That's disgusting. He should let a few of the fan groups know and see if they can start a campaign to embarrass the club into rescinding it. Wouldn't be a good look for Yarmalenko to mention it on twitter for instance. 

I think I've just about calmed down after that disgusting performance from the ref last night. Shame we couldn't hold on,  but we're still very much in it.  The place was rocking again last night. These European nights really make the stadium come alive. 

Yes, the ref was utterly dreadful. I’m more incensed about his decisions to stop play for when Lyon players were rolling around, not head injury related. I think the ref has been convicted before of match fixing or something like that, goodness knows how he is able to still be involved in football.

Indeed, Craig Dawson was MOTM by a country mile. His crunching tackles at the end of the game were a thing of beauty.

Gonna be difficult next week but we are still in the tie, you never know.

Sevilla game ref tomorrow. I seem to remember he let a lot of nonsense go, so that's in our favour. Massive home contingent, not in our favour. Zuma out, Diop in. Should be OK. Don't forget Issa was a club captain in their league aged 19. Johnson in for Cresswell, and I imagine Coufal may go back in at right back. Or Fredericks stays in, which may not be a downgrade against a nippy winger. 

I will be on European shores, but not at the game. 

COYI !!!!!!!!!

I'm a bit stunned tbh. Rode our luck in the first 15 but then put in such a disciplined, experienced performance that I'm not quite sure what to say. That assist from Fornals for Bowen's goal though. Fucking hell. Utterly ridiculous.

What a performance. Watched it with mates in a pub mostly west ham. A smattering of chelski and degenerate North Londoners also in there.  Even they were impressed with our performance. Antonio was superb tonight. They just couldn't handle him.  Can we win it? I see no reason why not?

Is this real life?? Still pinching myself.

Commentator on BT mentioned a couple of times that some West Ham fans had chartered a party boat in Lyon from midnight to 4am. Praying for them now haha.

24 minutes ago, ChewMagma said:

Is this real life?? Still pinching myself.

Commentator on BT mentioned a couple of times that some West Ham fans had chartered a party boat in Lyon from midnight to 4am. Praying for them now haha.

Jesus, the river surrounding that boat is going to have taken a bigger pounding than the Lyon team!

I was quite emotional after the game v Lyon. I was just very proud of all the team as they gave everything, that’s all I want as a fan. The commitment, desire, energy - it was all there. Then sprinkle in quality, professionalism and discipline and you have the perfect European away performance.

Special mention for Diop as I thought he was excellent and very well disciplined following his yellow card.  

Declan Rice - this guy is just one smooth operator! I so hope we can keep hold of him.

Finally on players, the best till last. Mr Craig Dawson. Geez. I can’t get my head round how good he has become. Strong in the air, comfortable with the ball playing out from the back, crazy long passes that hit their target, goals, crunching tackles and above all else, he is sooo committed in every game. From back up signing to one of the first names on the sheet. Incredible. He’s fast becoming a CB version of Julian Dicks and a fan fave. So chuffed for the bloke. 

David Moyes has a group of players who play for each other with no egos. He should take great credit for that. 

COYI!!!!

I was quietly confident going in - I was at the first leg, didn't think Lyon were up to much even if they could pass the ball quite nicely, and felt they would be more disappointed not going home with a lead after playing against 10 men for 45 mins - but pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was.

I don't think you can pick out a bad performance. Really, really good to see Coufal getting back to his best post surgery; massive respect to Diop who I'll be honest I thought shouldn't have been pulling on a shirt again after Kidderminster; and Johnson played admirably in that less favoured left back role. And what can I say about Craig Dawson that hasn't been said already. If he was a few years younger would an England callup be out of the question? You cannot tell me Harry Maguire is better than him rn.

With Spurs and Arsenal stumbling, let's hope the boys can put the icing on the cake and pick up a win against Burnley this afternoon.

And there you have it . At least we didn’t lose like the totts and Brentford games ! Antonio would have had 2 assists if he wasn’t getting so het up about not scoring himself. Last Thursday was spent in the company of many Copenhagen hammers and a good time was had by all.