Suede Suede Suede

Laine

Weird timing, as I had a little Suede binge on YouTube last night having not thought about them for a while. Enjoyed seeing Brett and Bernard talk about the songs from the first album era here:

Also kind of mad to see that a full show with Justine is out there now, I remember seeing a few stills of it decades ago and assumed that must be about all that existed. It's not exactly a great viewing/listening experience but it's cool as a little historical artifact.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Stanley said:

I’ve just had my first listen of the new album, first impressions; strong.

Oh man, I did not realise they had a new one on the way. You've absolutely made my day. 

Not quite sold on Autofiction just yet but it's a bit of a grower so maybe it just needs more time.

I guess I just prefer the gloomy, overwrought, theatrical Suede songs - which is why I loved The Blue Hour so much - to the more straightforward stompers that they've used here. In particular a lot of the songs in this album seem to be pretty much the same tempo which makes it all sound a bit samey on first listen. And I think they could have used some grimier production on this one rather than Ed Bueller's usual gloss. But it is what it is. Like most Suede albums it finishes strong - "What Am I Without You" and "Turn Off Your Brain And Yell" are perhaps my favourite two tracks on the album.

Brett's never sounded better though. "That Boy on the Stage" is astonishing.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Not quite sold on Autofiction just yet but it's a bit of a grower so maybe it just needs more time.

I guess I just prefer the gloomy, overwrought, theatrical Suede songs - which is why I loved The Blue Hour so much - to the more straightforward stompers that they've used here. In particular a lot of the songs in this album seem to be pretty much the same tempo which makes it all sound a bit samey on first listen. And I think they could have used some grimier production on this one rather than Ed Bueller's usual gloss. But it is what it is. Like most Suede albums it finishes strong - "What Am I Without You" and "Turn Off Your Brain And Yell" are perhaps my favourite two tracks on the album.

I completely forgot this was coming out. Better order it. Would you say it's more in line with Coming Up?

5 hours ago, strider said:

I completely forgot this was coming out. Better order it. Would you say it's more in line with Coming Up?

Its spikier and less poppy than Coming Up but the vast majority of the record is up tempo rather than shimmering melancholy.  Kind of glammy punk.

Basically, think of an album that sounds like the tub thumpers from 'Suede' - 'Suede' without the ballads rather than the cleaner pop of Coming Up.

It is perhaps a little too one note from a first couple of listens, but it really does have some bangers that will sound great live in March

On 16/09/2022 at 16:52, Skull Commander said:

I was never hugely into Suede back in the 90's but have got into them over the years. Enjoyed my first listen of the new album (single I'd very Longpigs to my ears) and picked up a ticket to see them in Aberdeen next year. Looking forward to it. 

God I miss the Longpigs

18 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I love that discordant thing he does with his falsetto, like on Black Ice, it’s just really atonal and punk, fuck knows how he does it and makes it sound so cool.