IGNORED

Applying for a games testing job...

sausage

Guest Penguin_Lad
Well, thanks for all the replies, particularly nifta :) .

Basically I'm going for this job because it seems more relvent to me than working in sainsbury's...

bah, with all these idiots making design suggestions, I hope I'm not going to get weeded out because they think I'm one of them, all i want to do is find bugs all day, it should be about as monotomous as stacking shelves and whatnot, except I get to sit down, plus I assume it also involves some thinking, such as what might cause it, how to bring the bug about again, and so on and so forth?

Yep it's all about the reproduction, baby :o

Basically I'm going for this job because it seems more relvent to me than working in sainsbury's...

bah, with all these idiots making design suggestions, I hope I'm not going to get weeded out because they think I'm one of them, all i want to do is find bugs all day, it should be about as monotomous as stacking shelves and whatnot, except I get to sit down, plus I assume it also involves some thinking, such as what might cause it, how to bring the bug about again, and so on and so forth?

Good luck Sausage. You seem to have at least half a brain, which will put you far above some of the people I've seen hired as QA temps. Come across as intelligent, articulate and willing to work hard and the job's probably as good as yours. The fact that you're even thinking about what to put on your CV stands you in good stead. But don't hang around; get that application in quickly or you'll probably lose the position to some schmuck who doesn't know his ass from his elbow and I'll be getting godawful bug reports about features that are debug QA-assist functions :o

Good luck Sausage. You seem to have at least half a brain, which will put you far above some of the people I've seen hired as QA temps. Come across as intelligent, articulate and willing to work hard and the job's probably as good as yours. The fact that you're even thinking about what to put on your CV stands you in good stead. But don't hang around; get that application in quickly or you'll probably lose the position to some schmuck who doesn't know his ass from his elbow and I'll be getting godawful bug reports about features that are debug QA-assist functions :o

I emailed it earlier today, and got my mum to check the CV and covering letter through (she's an author...)...

...but, I failed to mention that I won't get it, purely because I've never actually had a job before... I figured t'was worth a shot though...

The best bug I've ever seen was from one of the internal testers at Software Creations when I worked there:

"The whole fucking fucker's fucked!"

And to be fair, it was perfectly accurate.

(can't remember the game - Barbie or something...)

Who was that? I used to work at Ocean QA years back, and I know quite a few of the guys who fled over to Creations QA when Infogrames brought the axe down on the Castle Street QA. I hear that Acclaim have moved into that building now... evil swines that they are.

Yep it's all about the reproduction, baby :o

So true.. so true....

If I see one more bug report that has the following line....

Reproduction rate = random

There's no such thing! GAHHHHH!!!!!

The best bug I've ever seen was from one of the internal testers at Software Creations when I worked there:

"The whole fucking fucker's fucked!"

And to be fair, it was perfectly accurate.

(can't remember the game - Barbie or something...)

Who was that? I used to work at Ocean QA years back, and I know quite a few of the guys who fled over to Creations QA when Infogrames brought the axe down on the Castle Street QA. I hear that Acclaim have moved into that building now... evil swines that they are.

This was before that 1994-1995ish. I think it was on a game that never saw the light of day 'Stunt Rumble'.

Guest Penguin_Lad
The interview would be on the eighteenth, today is the sixteenth, they have not contacted me about getting an interview, therefore I'm not getting one. Bah :wub: , bastards! (not really)

Codemasters are pretty awful at getting back to people in any sort of good time. You could perhaps expect a reply upto a month later.

The interview would be on the eighteenth, today is the sixteenth, they have not contacted me about getting an interview, therefore I'm not getting one. Bah :wub: , bastards! (not really)

Codemasters are pretty awful at getting back to people in any sort of good time. You could perhaps expect a reply upto a month later.

:wub:

But, but, they advertised on the twelth! They said they needed 40 testers urgently! ...strange people...

Follow up with a reply to the recruitment chappy, Rob Lowe (robl@codemasters.com). Just ask him what's up with the application.

Well, apart from the automatic response, I have nothing to reply to, I don't want to bother them and the all that.

Guest Penguin_Lad
Follow up with a reply to the recruitment chappy, Rob Lowe (robl@codemasters.com). Just ask him what's up with the application.

I did that once. And then emailed again...

No reply for at least a month. I'm not sure if it's company policy, but they tend to leave you hanging about (in my experience)...probably until all the positions are filled.

Not entirely endearing it has to be said.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm teasing but there is a serious point.

Testers are there to do a job,  NOT to interfere or try to 'improve' the game according to their personal preferences.

The second worst thing a Tester can do is offer unsolicited design ideas\comments.

The worst thing a Tester can do is put those suggestions on the bug list. [This happens a lot]

A good Director\Producer will speak to everyone regularly and ask their opinion.  But he\she will make the decisions about design.

A testers official title is 'Quality' Assurance.

It is perfectly legitimate to have design suggestions in there if it is felt that it could improve the product.

QA is the closest thing you can get to Joe Public and a lot of their suggestions do count for something.

You are correct that in an ideal situation the producer will have all this covered but when is that ever the case!

I know where you are coming from in that a programmer has a job to do in fixing bugs and therefore that is what he wants to see on the bug database. You have to try and remember tho...That when a bug is entered like this they are not being an arse, they are just trying to make the best game possible.