Piracy problems!

Fleksnes

I just received this email from a friend of mine, who wanted some tech advice:

"In short, a mate of mine is selling copied xbox-games, and he is pissed off because the people he sell to just copies them and gives them away to their friends for free, so he is losing potential sales. He is wondering if there is any way to "scramble" or block his copies so they can't be copied?"

Pirates struggling with people pirating their pirated products, and starting to implement their own copy-protections? Whatever next.

My girlfriend brought me some pirated games from Ukraine - I'll have a look and see if there's any protection on there.

They ran perfectly though (although in Russian, which I don't understand and have to get her to translate for me).

There's already something like this happening with GBA games, and has happened for ages since the Amiga I think, where pirates code an intro into the game, usually with shit techno music and poor graphics, with messages like "WORD UP HOMIES, FLY ROM DUMPAZ HERE! BIG SHOUT OUT TO ECHELON, SKULLMAN, DOPE KILLAH, FLY HOMIE, AND SEVERAL HUNDRED OTHER PEOPLE WITH STUPID SCREEN-NAMES! WORD!"

Yeah, but the point of intros on pirated games is not to copy protect them, but just to put your name or your crews name there, and then spread the game like wildfire so everyone can see what an l337 haxx0r you are.

Anyway, the only advice I could give the guy was to walk around to his "costumers" and smash their PC's and DVD-burners with a hammer. That should stop the cheeky sods illegaly spreading those games he worked for HOURS on, downloading them from the internet.

There's already something like this happening with GBA games, and has happened for ages since the Amiga I think, where pirates code an intro into the game, usually with shit techno music and poor graphics, with messages like "WORD UP HOMIES, FLY ROM DUMPAZ HERE! BIG SHOUT OUT TO ECHELON, SKULLMAN, DOPE KILLAH, FLY HOMIE, AND SEVERAL HUNDRED OTHER PEOPLE WITH STUPID SCREEN-NAMES! WORD!"

That's got nothing to do with the pirates 'protecting' their crack, it's just them bragging about it. Possibly still called a cracktro, or as you said, just an intro. The demoscene was what made the Amiga special :D

And what an incredibly stupid man.

That's got nothing to do with the pirates 'protecting' their crack, it's just them bragging about it. Possibly still called a cracktro, or as you said, just an intro. The demoscene was what made the Amiga special :D

I suppose it is related to protection of their "dump", as nowadays they've become a little more clever with applying the intro. I've no idea how they do it, but apparently they integrate the intro into the game's program, so any attempts to remove the intro by traditional methods simply corrupt the ROM.

10 REM "lakitu's STUPID mate's protection program"

20 INPUT a: CLS

30 INPUT "How much did you pay lakitu's mate for this game?",b

40 IF a=b THEN PRINT "Correct. Well Done": STOP

50 IF a<B THENGO SUB 100

60 IF A>b THEN GO SUB 100

70 GO TO 30

100 PRINT "Try again"

110 RETURN

30 INPUT "Have you paid lakitu's mate for this game?",b

50 IF a<B THENGO SUB 100

70 GO TO 30

100 PRINT "Try again"

110 RETURN

That might work, actually. The few people I've met who buys stuff from him aren't exactly potential Einsteins.

50 IF a<B THENGO SUB 100

70 GO TO 30

100 PRINT "Try again"

110 RETURN

That might work, actually. The few people I've met who buys stuff from him aren't exactly potential Einsteins.

No it wouldn't. He's put a 'go sub' routine command in.

Also, his variable A and B need to be 'strings' to work. (A$ and B$).

Unless he was a filthy Commadore user that it.

50 IF a<B THENGO SUB 100

70 GO TO 30

100 PRINT "Try again"

110 RETURN

No it wouldn't. He's put a 'go sub' routine command in.

Also, his variable A and B need to be 'strings' to work. (A$ and B$).

Unless he was a filthy Commadore user that it.

EDIT: Actually, A and B shouldn't be 'strings'. Merely numbers. Still, I smell a filthy C64 owner.

I'm a Speccy boy through & through. The reason I done that is so it would confuse the fuck out of everyone. <_<