Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Kelthink

ev59F.png

Fab! IGN sez this:

It's a very good day to be a Konami fan. Today as part of its pre-E3 conference, Konami announced the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection and the Zone of the Enders HD Collection.

The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection will contain Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. The Zone of the Enders HD Collection will pack Zone of Enders and Zone of the Enders 2. Both collections have been optimized and rebuilt for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, with new user interfaces for the HD resolutions, redrawn art, brand new Trophies/Achievements, right analog stick and rumble support, and improved audio.

Metal Gear overlord Hideo Kojima pointed out that while Peace Walker is part of the Metal Gear Solid HD collection, it is not part of the PSP Remaster series.

Another feature both collections support is Kojima's new "lifestyle" called "Transfarring." That is not a typo -- Transfarring. Using this system, PlayStation players can have one save that works with PS3 and PSP copies of certain games. Konami announced Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker as the first (and so far only) Transfarring capable title. Start your Peace Walker game on the PS3, copy the save to the PSP, play on the go, and then copy it back to the PS3 to pick up where you left off.

No word was given as to what would happen if you earned a Trophy while using the PSP (a system which doesn't support Trophies). Also, the Zone of the Enders HD Collection is said to support Transfarring, but no PSP versions of these games were announced. Kojima said that he was looking to bring Tranfarring to the NGP, so perhaps that is where we'll see the ZOE plan come together.

The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection will be available this November, while the Zone of the Enders HD Collection will be coming in 2012

November looking even more ridiculous now, thanks games companies.

Probably too much work to make them look decent/play well. Although I expectes them to take Twin Snakes for this.

Can't speak for the fanbase in general, but I couldn't stand Twin Snakes - to the point that I'm happy it isn't part of the set. Love the original game though.

I've never properly played any of the MGS series, or the Silent Hill series apart from Shattered Memories, but the fact that the originals are missing off both of them really puts me off getting them. I understand it's a lot more work to get them up to modern standards but it makes it feel half-complete to someone coming new to the series.

That said I know MGS1 is available to download on PSN so I could play it on there I suppose. Anyone know if Silent Hill 1 is on there?

I've never properly played any of the MGS series, or the Silent Hill series apart from Shattered Memories, but the fact that the originals are missing off both of them really puts me off getting them. I understand it's a lot more work to get them up to modern standards but it makes it feel half-complete to someone coming new to the series.

That said I know MGS1 is available to download on PSN so I could play it on there I suppose. Anyone know if Silent Hill 1 is on there?

I'm in the same boat. I bought MGS on PSN, but it makes my eyes bleed.

Additional info, comparison pics.

Metal Gear Solid HD Edition

Coming in November for PS3 and Xbox 360, price TBA. This includes HD remasters of Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3. The remastering is being done by Bluepoint Games.

The PS3 version of the game will include a product code for downloading the Game Archives version of the original Metal Gear Solid.

The version of MGS3 that's included in the collection is the Subsistence version.

Konami also says that it is planning on offering HD Edition through PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Arcade as download releases.

Visual improvements for the HD remasters include 60 frames per second and 720p resolution. The games also have additional effects and are fully wide screen.

Regarding Transfarring support, Konami says the PS3 version will allow for Transfarring with "portable systems." It does not say which ones, but it seems that they're referring to NGP, as the Kojima Productions Transfarring information page says that PS2 titles that use Transfarring will be for PS3 and NGP.

PmIe4.jpg

MyMZY.jpg

Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD Edition

Coming November 2011 for both PS3 and Xbox 360, price TBA. The PS3 and X360 versions will support one to six players, just like the PSP version.

The PS3 version includes a product code for downloading the PSP version of Peace Walker to the PSP.

The PS3 and PSP versions can use the new Transfarring system which allows for save data to be shared. This means you can play the game on the PS3, transfer your save data to the PSP for play on the go, then return home and continue playing on the big screen.

As detailed earlier, the HD versions do not run on emulation. New features include: right analogue stick compatibility, rumble support, high quality sound, and trophy/achievement support. Visually, the menus and other areas have been redone, as you can see in the below comparison pics. The game will support 1080p.

hzwdx.jpg

SRDpT.jpg

Zone of the Enders HD Edition

Coming to PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2012, price TBA. Supports one to two players.

As with MGS HD Edition, Konami is also planning PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Arcade download sales. Konami also does not specifically state which portable system the PS3 will interact with for Transfarring, but we can probably assume it's NGP.

Konami has not provided details or comparison shots for Zone of the Enders HD.

:)

Do reckon there is any chance of MGS4 ever being ported over to the 360 - I blindly assumed it, along with Twin Snakes, would be part of the package when I read the title and was fizzing at the tits with joy.

The MGS2 pic looks great and about as good as one could could realistically expect - they were never going to redo every single texture throughout the entire game, now were they? The PSP game, however, looks terrible, you can almost count the polygons and the low-res basic PSP textures don't scale well at all so upscaling and adding AA only emphasises how terrible it looks. Even so if the game itself is any good it might be worth it for the decent controls alone, assuming that they will make full use of a proper controller with two analogue sticks and extra triggers this time around.

Probably too much work to make them look decent/play well. Although I expectes them to take Twin Snakes for this.

At the time, weren't Silicon Knights a Nintendo second-party developer? Probably all sorts of problems there.

Anyway, I am ridiculously excited about this. MGS3 is one of my favourite games ever and I've been waiting for the Peace Walker announcement for ages, it just doesn't quite work on PSP.

I always hated MGS2 but I suppose I can give it another go...