IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Kelthink

What order did you play them in?

I'm planning to play in release order. Also in the past I've only played them on Easy shamefully, so jumping to Normal and having the guards actually notice me is quite an adjustment.

Been playing 2 and man I love this game, I love how it's got all the extras and everything, the VR training is just how I remember it, plus they've done a really nice job making it HD... Is the sound quality better as well? The nostalgia part of my brain jizzes when I get a codec call and again when I successfully remember where a secret is... :)

(Did Olga always have hairy pits?)

Having picked this up last week I've already completed MGS2 and am part way through Snake Eater. I was surprised at how well both games have aged, apart from the diabolical controls. It's been a real pleasure to play Snake Eater again with its daft Saturday morning cartoon vibe (apart from the blood, obviously). It's much more difficult than MGS2 but so much more rewarding, with the lack of a radar and emphasis on creeping making long range kills more difficult.

'Speak!'

'Fruit grows on trees!'

I just can't get used to the controls in MGS2, things like going to first person view to take a shot at someone, but needing to still equip your weapon. Not being able to move in that view while aiming, etc. It all just throws me now.

That said, I sucked at MGS2 originally on the PS2, so don't know why I didn't expect to be awful at it this time around either.

I've haven't played MGS since 1998. I played the first, and never got around to the second. Because of that, I haven't played any of the other games because I didn't want to miss anything. Quite amusing.

Anyway, I bought my Vita in the week of the price slash here in Japan, and also picked up Playstation Plus. I bought the game as a US import from a shop here in AKB, and promptly set about MGS2. Fantastic. Loved it! It took a while to get used to the controls, and the view, but after Tanker, I was set. I couldn't put it down. I loved the story. I didn't like Rose at all, though. Excellent story throughout, and some really nice gameplay sequences.

I have grabbed it on UK PSN, which is what I might use to play MGS3. I'm thinking of getting the PS3 port too, so I can sync and play at home and on the move. Sweetness! Reminds me of my Dreamcast and Neo Geo Pocket dreams…

Anyway, after MGS2, which should I play next? I bought Peacewalker for the PSP, so I am ready to go on all levels. I will pick up MGS4 and then Rising in the future. I find myself just wanting to play these games. Sneak past, or blast… it's all good fun. Hide in a box? Sure!

So guys, which next? MGS3? Peacewalker?

Is the sound a little off on this? I'm on 360 and when I'm crawling around in vents or moving while hanging indoors in MGS2 it has this weird metallic clicky-chirpy sound. It's like some of the noisy grates in the game but in the wrong place. I'm pretty sure the crawling sound was originally just a frantic (but strangely rhythmic) shuffing noise.

Not sure if it's because I'm a bit older or if it's the world that's changed, but the story in MGS2 made a lot more sense to me this time round than it did way back when. I remembered it as being pretty impenetrable towards the end but I really enjoyed it this time round

Not the arm bit or the vampire, obviously.

I'm just not feeling it for MGS2. The controls are horrible and the camera is shit. There is something to it that keeps me playing longer than I normally would have... but a lot of the time I'm thinking "fuck this bullshit, I could be sneaking around in Unit 13 instead"

Also, those animations of Snake going up stairs. He looks like he's being pretending to be a little fairy. Tippy-tippy-tap-tap.

I didn't get on with MGS2 when I played it back in the day. I liked Raiden and everything, I just thought the hub was really dull compared to the first MGS. I remember playing it til about 1am, having been at work from 5am the previous morning and I was exhausted when approaching some boss where I got a sword. I figured I'd try to keep my eyes open until the next opportunity to save my game only to suffer a cutscene at least 20 minutes long. I still resent that.

I should probably give it another go now that I know what to expect. I did love all the odd breakdown stuff and the actual gameplay bits. I also really loved the Game Boy Color game.

I loved MGS2. It felt pretty old, but I loved that part of it. Took me back 10 years, so I can now play through the rest in order :)

Sharak - just make sure the regions match between your vita and ps3 copies

Thanks man; that's why I need my brother to send me UK copies to Japan. Sounds so stupid... sending games to Japan :)

At least on the Xbox version it's actually possible to do the stick up thing without accidentally shooting the guards by mistake, as raising the gun is now on a different button from shooting.

What?! That's the whole point of the stick-up thing! The blind panic when a guy's brains go spattering across the wall and you've got a corpse to deal with.

Nah, the 360 stick up controls - and most of the controls adapted from analogue buttons - are a pain. They make a control scheme that sometimes demands three trigger buttons at the same time into something even more bewildering.

Reminds me, I need to figure out how to differentiate "grab" and "choke".

Edit - A big one is using the assault rifle. You don't actually get any sights unless the gun is readied, which was done with a light press on the PS2. On the 360 you have to click the left stick and the gun gets put away again after you fire a burst. (I think; I've only used the rifle in the FPS mode VR missions so far.)

Currently playing this through on Vita thanks to PS+ and I'm loving MGS3 all over again - it was one of my favourite games of last generation but it still seems so fresh.

Just reached the top of the cliff where you meet Eva again. I decided to kill The End early this time due to having trouble with him when I played last time (I had to do the time-travel trick on my PS2!). I also wanted to see what happened in his place, it was pretty cool having to search out the individual snipers. I'll probably have another crack at The End next play through.

I've decided to fuck stealth off almost completely for this run, and I'm basically just using the sniper rifle for long range and the shotgun up-close. Call me Anti-Snake. :omg:

I'm amazed at how much better it looks, the forests just seem so much more alive. I still love the whole survival mechanic, I'd love a proper follow-up in this vein.

Also, Ocelot is so awesome. That bit where he's twirling the crossbow round on his finger interrogating Eva ... what a G.

Reminds me, I need to figure out how to differentiate "grab" and "choke".

Grab is where you hold the button, choke is where you mash it, right? This is on Vita, but it doesn't have analogue buttons either it should be the same.

On that note, is "choke" a fatal maneuver (in MGS2)?