IGNORED

Ocarina of Time Versus Wind Waker

ubob

As VC mentioned the fairy in the bottle in TWW is priceless. Also the little rattling person when he travels with you on the boat - he sits on the front looking brilliantly cute. My current pet hatred of OoT is grown up Link's looks - even in the best possible light Link looks a prat.

I've been playing OOT over the past coule of days, all all I can say is that it is as utterly absorbing now as it was back in '98 - 5 years have not ages the game one bit in my eyes and it still exudes all the charm, atmosphere and addictive gameplay it did way back then.

It is hopelessly good, the greatest videogame man has ever crafted - still!

PS - I though the sailing in WW was brilliant.

Majora's Mask beats all the other Zelda games for the following reasons:

• The very real sense that something spectacularly bad is going to happen incredibly soon.
  • The fantastic music, from Majora's Theme, to the Ode to Order, the piano version of the Song of Healing, and that music in the final hours...
  • A break from the norm of "The Princess is in peril. Save her. Again." By creating a new world with new people, it's a refreshing change in the same way that the Oracle games were, for the most part.
  • Chasing the ghosts away from the farm. Fucking scary that.

I know it's not just me, but I feel as though playing through OoT is a complete chore now, due to the ease of use that WW offers (even if I was not disappointed with OoT at the time). As Spanx mentioned, playing a tarted-up version of OoT with the graphical advancements of today and a better control scheme would allow me to love Zelda with a passion all over again.

I know it's not just me, but I feel as though playing through OoT is a complete chore now, due to the ease of use that WW offers (even if I was not disappointed with OoT at the time). As Spanx mentioned, playing a tarted-up version of OoT with the graphical advancements of today and a better control scheme would allow me to love Zelda with a passion all over again.

When I started playing OoT recently (having done TWW to death) it was quite a chore to get started. Most everything bloody annoyed me at the beginning but I'm beyond all that and really enjoying the experience now.

OoT just has the better music, everything fits in perfectly, that tune when you go into a shop, makes it feel safe and warm, yet when you go outside the music is dangerous. TWW just picked the better bits of music from OoT and just placed them in places that it didnt really fit.

OoT just has the better music, everything fits in perfectly, that tune when you go into a shop, makes it feel safe and warm, yet when you go outside the music is dangerous. TWW just picked the better bits of music from OoT and just placed them in places that it didnt really fit.

That's true, and that's a big reason why I'm certain that OOT is the better game. The music is just beautiful - at that history of video games exhibition at the Barbican, OOT called me across a room full of blaring console and computer titles: that main theme in the "attract" sequence is unmistakable.

Epona's theme, Zelda's theme etc, hell, the magnificent Song of Storms - all absoultely top tunes, and, unlike with the Wind Waker baton, it actually feels like you're playing them, rather than remembering button sequences. And the music just works perfectly cinematically, too, heightening the action and the emotional impact of the story. For this alone, OOT is the superior game, before I even look at other aspects of the two titles.

In Wind Waker no one else seems to know what is going on and apart from one destroyed island and occasional monsters at sea the world seems at peace.

Totally. You emerge from the Temple of Time seven years later in OoT and the beautiful world you left behind is utterly destroyed. I got a real feeling that something dark and sinister has decended upon the land.

Well, WW did actually come very close to OoT in the 'shocked' respect, at least for me: The Zora island. The stormy weather, the cold dark sea, the fact that the island appeared to be severed in two, and the creepy Goron trader on his raft. I was so scared, I hopped right back onto my boat, and sailed for a solid five minutes before I looked back. A truly marvellous moment......

Didn't get on with Majora's Mask for the following reasons:

1 ) That damn time limit. I felt as though I had no time to explore.

2 ) The re-use of all the old character models. Hey look! It's Malon! No, wait, it isn't..

3 ) The helping people notebook. If you start a sub-quest on the wrong day, you can't do it! Because even though you go back in time, they still remember you!

4 ) Skull Kid. Just annoys me.

5 ) The way Link doesn't seem to 'fit in' with the game world. He's just..there.

6 ) The fact that you can't save the game instantly and have to hunt down an Owl.

7 ) The enemies don't fit in either.

8 ) The main hub is a bit too cramped. Desert area then right next to it, a bit of Ice and so on.

Ocarina will always remain the best for me. Saria's song. Aaah Saria's song....

Damn you all to hell for bringing up OOT.

Do you know what it's like to live for that same feeling??

I feel like a cocaine addict who is constantly searching for that first hit again.

Nothing will ever come close to the feeling that OOT gave me. I remember sitting on my floor playing it while my girlfriend at the time sat cuddling into me helping me out with the game.

It was the finest game ever. Actually now that I think about it I really should give up on all other games as I know I'll never get that same feeling again.

OOT is so much better than LttP it hurts.

No. It's more of an evolution of the game, but LttP is still 'top notch'.

And I still think it's wrong playing a game with a man in an elf suit. Regardless of the atmosphere. I still don't feel OOT is 'best game ever'. Sorry, it really probably is just me.

I'll get a coat.

Surely nothing will ever match the initial impact that OOT had on most people. I know Wind Waker gave me a similar feeling (well, nearly...) the first time I wandered around its beautiful opening but it didn't last as long, as you've seen the same game mechanics and as soon as the familiarities kick in, its only excellent, not groundbreaking.

It all depends on what you play first as well - some people were playing Tomb Raider as their first 3D platformer when others were playing Mario 64, for instance; and in the same vein, Wind Waker was my first 3D Zelda game and I loved it, the only familiarities being with LTTP (still the greatest Zelda game, imo, the Light World/Dark World bing particularly satisfying).

I started playing OOT after I finished WW a few months ago, getting past the Water Temple before I stopped playing (to be continued yet...) - I didn't really find it the magical experience most of you are talking about, the poor controls and camera grate a bit until you get used to them, but what I've seen so far is a good, solid game with great dungeons. Maybe you just had to be there at the time of it's release.

Majora's mask was a much more interesting prospect, from the hours I put in when I borrowed a housemate's N64 a few years ago, but I'll have to get my hand on a bonus disc if I want to sample it again. The time travelling concept in it is just *genius*.

To be fair insin, I reckon its because we were drip fed information for years before OOT was released. Everyone in the world, bar you, was playing it around xmas 1998, and it just felt *special*. The (almost) synchronised worldwide release only added to this feeling. All gamers, not just Nintendo zealots, had waited for years for a 3d Zelda, and after playing Mario 64, we knew that Nintendo could deliver the goods. And they did. Its just about the only game ever released to live up to such enormous expectation.

All this 'most anticipated game ever' nonsence bandied about whenever Half Life 2 or whichever en vogue game is mentioned is absolute bullshit. No game since OOT has come close to approaching the fever pitch around its release. I doubt any other game ever will.

To be fair insin, I reckon its because we were drip fed information for years before OOT was released. Everyone in the world, bar you, was playing it around xmas 1998, and it just felt *special*. The (almost) synchronised worldwide release only added to this feeling. All gamers, not just Nintendo zealots, had waited for years for a 3d Zelda, and after playing Mario 64, we knew that Nintendo could deliver the goods. And they did. Its just about the only game ever released to live up to such enormous expectation.

All this 'most anticipated game ever' nonsence bandied about whenever Half Life 2 or whichever en vogue game is mentioned is absolute bullshit. No game since OOT has come close to approaching the fever pitch around its release. I doubt any other game ever will.

You sure?

Not even...THIS?!?

Actually, I don't think anyone will care.

I remember the build up. After looking through every magazine for a new screenshot of the game, I thought that I had seen almost all the game had to offer. How wrong I was - they hardly scratched the surface.

Zelda OoT was my first zelda, i wasnt too interested in it, but hearing numbers were limited i put my name down at EB. Got a phone call and told to collect it the next day. My mum did, i got home, found they picked it up and played it, was a disappointed when playing the begining, it looked good but it just felt really dull and boring looking for coins and a sword. Then i got into the first dungeon, pretty cool, then my first puzzle, how do i get through the spiders web over the door?

hitting it with the sword did no good, running at it, rolling at it, then i though, well theres a torch and i have a wooden stick. It lights up, pretty cool. Now time to put it on the web, didnt even expect it to work at all. But what a surprise it did work! What grabbed me is that it used something real for a puzzel, something ive never encountered before.

Then i got into the first dungeon, pretty cool, then my first puzzle, how do i get through the spiders web over the door?

hitting it with the sword did no good, running at it, rolling at it, then i though, well theres a torch and i have a wooden stick. It lights up, pretty cool. Now time to put it on the web, didnt even expect it to work at all. But what a surprise it did work! What grabbed me is that it used something real for a puzzel, something ive never encountered before.

Same here. I resolutely refused to light the cobweb, despite my friend suggesting that I should try it, because I simply didn't believe it would work, and that videogames couldn't be that advanced.

I have pints of gushing man-love for this game.

I can remember sitting on the bus home from college after buying Superplay and seeing the very first screenshot of a 3D Link in all his super angular, pointy nosed glory.

Fast forward a few years, after poring over every screenshot and magazine preview, the game is released. It exceeded my expectations. Completing the first dungeon, watching the Deku Tree die, Milo's accusations, Saria's goodbye, talking to the owl, thinking... this is fucking brilliant. And then... and then... the game really starts.

I really identify with what Phelan said about his memories of playing OoT. It's like the memories that come flooding back about a favourite album you haven't listened to for years. Talking to my friends in the pub about the game 'where have you got to?', 'you need to fire an arrow at the yellow eye thing on the wall', 'wait till you get to the water temple, it's a bastard'.

After reading this thread I needed a Zelda fix, Hyrule Symphony is playing as I type.

No game since OOT has come close to approaching the fever pitch around its release. I doubt any other game ever will.

The Metal Gear Solid 2 hype was pretty ridiculous.

The PS2 launch hype was ri-cock-ulous. "It'll have real emotions!!!!!11"

For me this is the order of greatness:

1) Majora's Mask (well said, Jack)

2) Ocarina of Time (well said, Filth)

3) Wind Waker (which I really like - in particular the black & white section, the big bird fight, leaving your island for the first time, the cut scene of the dragon attacking Ganondorf's tower and the final battle in the rain - but don't love)

For some reason I've never played A Link to the Past.

I very much agree with Insin about it being which one you play first. I think most games are like this. Games in a certain series/genre so often share elements which just don't feel as great if you've seen them before.

[edit - this is so blatantly a generalisation of what lilman said and insin quoted]

I'm going to have to go against everyone here really, 'cos my favourite Zelda, and indeed my favourite game ever was links awakening for the game boy.

It was my first Zelda ever, and I'd never played anything like it before. I was instantly entranced, just wandering around the start village, talking to people. Then I started playing, and I just got obsessed with it in the way that only twelve year olds can. I remember the summer I played it over as one of the best ever, and that game had a lot to do with it.

I spent hours drawing maps, stressing about puzzles that now seem boring and obvious after they've been reused in every Zelda game before and since, but were truly unique to me then. I hoovered up the storyline, waiting with anticipation for the day when I would cleanse this marvelous world of nightmares.

And then the twist appeared, and man, I was almost destroyed. I actually contemplated not finishing it, these characters meant so much for me. But I did, and the end sequence...It was perfect. The seagull squalls at the end...

The ballad of the wind fish can still induce (manly) tears to this day.

Perhaps If I'd played it after OOT or windwaker it would seem shallow, and I'm sure the combat is now terrible, but for the effect it had on me - no game has, or ever will, do that again.