Ocarina of Time Versus Wind Waker

ubob

He has an opinion, there's a difference. There's also been a recent trend for going overboard with criticism for games recently. Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - all have been labelled with the "wurst evar!!!111 ninty are teh gay!!!!!!111" tag. I reckon all three have been subject to criticism purely for criticism's sake.

The big difference between Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker is that Mario Sunshine is actually pretty good <_<

I thought Sunshine was disapointing as well. Its the only mario game in the last 15 years that i cant be arsed to complete.

Its not as arse as TWW. I enjoyed Yoshi's Story more :lol:

MKDD is great though <_<

but Shigsy still needs a good hiding for being so crap for the last 3 years.

Edge couldn't have summed the Wind Waker up better - "To those of us who already have an idea of what to expect, though, it's 'merely' brilliant".

Possibly the only thing Edge has printed that I've ever agreed with.

A summary of Wario Ware I read one time was good. It wasn't from the review. I can't remember it. Take it from me, it was good.

Edge couldn't have summed the Wind Waker up better - "To those of us who already have an idea of what to expect, though, it's 'merely' brilliant".

Possibly the only thing Edge has printed that I've ever agreed with.

A summary of Wario Ware I read one time was good. It wasn't from the review. I can't remember it. Take it from me, it was good.

Before the sages , I wouldve said that WW was better than OoT , but after that, frankly its shit.

I think the Edge comment of the game being merely brilliant is spot on. To be fair though I can live with opinions from people who have clearly played the game but not enjoyed it. Its the slating of people who haven't played it at all , or have just dabbled with a borrowed copy, that seems a bit well fucking stupid. Any Zelda game I've ever played is deep and requires you to get at least half way in in order to appreciate er half of it - thats at least 30 hours gaming to my mind with TWW with all its side quests and mini games. Equally I realise that people's first impressions can count but remember in Zelda you are playing as a small green clad elf and everyone's first impression has been to feel a bit of a prat - thats taken as read.

It's the greatest, most consistent and robust 3D camera in gaming, my man. It slides along walls rather than getting stuck on them or, worse, going through them. Very intelligent in my opinion. That the player could move it in addition to this makes it just brilliant, frankly.

I think that the player has to move it makes it less pefect than OoT's camera. And I think it was a touch too sensitive as well. A little slower and it would have been great to use for turning properly, like in SMS.

I don`t really like to compare Ocarina of Time, Majora`s Mask, and The Wind Waker, since I love them all to bits. Oh Zelda, where art thou? Sigh...

Just to give my comments on the camera in The Wind Waker. I consider this to be the main improvement from the two earlier games, precisely since I now can move the scene all around Link, as I move him around. It is especiallly fun to do, when he is sailing, or moving up one of the ladders in the game. Or floating around in the air as a seagull. It gives me an extra pleasure to manipulate the game in this way. Left, right, up, down, up, left. Oops, getting dizzy. :o

Why is there no middle ground with some of you? It is either a 'disgrace' or 'dross', or it is brilliance and people love it.

I'd say from a personal POV, that Wind Waker was a good game, a little too easy, but a good game. What is wasn't is dross, Enter the Matrix is an example of dross, we should get this straight. To put the two in the same boat is just madness.

That isn't even opinion, it is fact - I admit that Nintendo made mistakes with the game, which are well documented in the excellent Gamecube Equip article, but by no means is it a disgrace to us or whatever.

People need some sense of perspective here.

Why is there no middle ground with some of you? It is either a 'disgrace' or 'dross', or it is brilliance and people love it.

I'd say from a personal POV, that Wind Waker was a good game, a little too easy, but a good game. What is wasn't is dross, Enter the Matrix is an example of dross, we should get this straight. To put the two in the same boat is just madness.

That isn't even opinion, it is fact - I admit that Nintendo made mistakes with the game, which are well documented in the excellent Gamecube Equip article, but by no means is it a disgrace to us or whatever.

It's the whole comparison thing.

In all honesty, Mario Sunshine was pretty good. But next to Mario 64? Aiyee. WW is a good game, enjoyable, if a little too much seafaring. Next to it's predecessor? Hmm. Mario Kart: Double Dash probably has the same credentials, although I don't like it (but that's just me. And Edge. 5/10? WTF? Etc.).

Of course, opinions aren't easy to ignore, regardless of who makes them. Or maybe they are. I can't remember.

I think that the player has to move it makes it less pefect than OoT's camera. And I think it was a touch too sensitive as well. A little slower and it would have been great to use for turning properly, like in SMS.

It's all a matter of preference I guess. I know one guy (an idiot) who hadn't played Ocarina until after he'd completed Wind Waker and he just plain didn't like it because of the camera. He couldn't get used to it after WW's one. But, as I say, that guy is an idiot.

It's all a matter of preference I guess. I know one guy (an idiot) who hadn't played Ocarina until after he'd completed Wind Waker and he just plain didn't like it because of the camera. He couldn't get used to it after WW's one. But, as I say, that guy is an idiot.

Truth be told, I kept throwing bombs in Master Quest because I was trying to move the camera left.

Why is there no middle ground with some of you?  It is either a 'disgrace' or 'dross', or it is brilliance and people love it.

I'd say from a personal POV, that Wind Waker was a good game, a little too easy, but a good game.  What is wasn't is dross, Enter the Matrix is an example of dross, we should get this straight.  To put the two in the same boat is just madness.

It's the whole comparison thing.

In all honesty, Mario Sunshine was pretty good. But next to Mario 64? Aiyee. WW is a good game, enjoyable, if a little too much seafaring. Next to it's predecessor? Hmm. Mario Kart: Double Dash probably has the same credentials, although I don't like it (but that's just me. And Edge. 5/10? WTF? Etc.).

Of course, opinions aren't easy to ignore, regardless of who makes them. Or maybe they are. I can't remember.

Well that is fair enough, but at least you recognise that the game is not your thing, in that you don't like Mario Kart: DD or think Sunshine isn't a patch on Mario 64. You recognise that this is your view on things and that is fine, I have no problem with that.

But when people say a game is 'SHIT' just because THEY don't like it, that is what I don't like. I might not love Ikaruga as much as some love it on here, but that is my perception, my view. It doesn't mean the game is 'dross' or whatever.

I think that the player has to move it makes it less pefect than OoT's camera

I'm playing through OoT again on the bonus disk, and I'm always forgetting and trying to move the camera. Sometimes it is very awkward, and since WW gives you the option to move it - WW's camera is the best.

I don't ever recall having my view obscured in OoT, that's the thing. But in Wind Waker I did. And so, naturally I was glad the camera could be moved, but had it not needed it, I probably wouldn't have wanted to.

I liked the zoom out though. Pulling back on the stick on one of those little islands so you see the entire thing practically from a birds eye perspective was great. The sense of scale in Wind Waker is almost second to none, in my opinion.

I liked the zoom out though. Pulling back on the stick on one of those little islands so you see the entire thing practically from a birds eye perspective was great. The sense of scale in Wind Waker is almost second to none, in my opinion.

Or spinning it around the boat, and doing slow motion spins and zoom ins. You all did it.

Or spinning it around the boat, and doing slow motion spins and zoom ins. You all did it.

:o

Oh alright, you got me! ;)

To be fair, much of the time there wasn't anything else to do... :o

But it's still my favourite game of the year. I'm not counting Wario Ware because that's more than a game. It's my life. Seriously. My life is a compilation of 3 second tasks. Apart from sexual intercourse. That's more of a Boss Battle. Ahem.

I know OoT revolutionised 3D in game fighting by more-or-less inventing the L lock on but the lock on in TWW is much better (as you'd expect mind given the five year gap).

So in summary apart from the graphics, the character animation, the black and white Hyrule section, the 3D camera, the sailing, the atmosphere at sea (particularly as storms come over etc), the mini games, the side quests, the lock on system, the deku leaf, the fairy's face when bottled, being able to become a seagull and the large living, breathing, consistant and beautiful world what did TWW do for us?

My OOT-moment has to be the first time I was running over the plains, spotting a castle in the far, faaaar distance. I was convinced that this had to be a background texture, and my heart skipped a couple of beats when it turned out to be a 3d model !

Those were the days :-)

My OOT-moment has to be the first time I was running over the plains, spotting a castle in the far, faaaar distance. I was convinced that this had to be a background texture, and my heart skipped a couple of beats when it turned out to be a 3d model !

Ah yes. Same thing with the big mountain in the background. (forgot the name(s) of it now)

Ah yes. Same thing with the big mountain in the background. (forgot the name(s) of it now)

The mountain is a flat bitmap, until you get to it. Same as the way the village is a flat bitmap when you look back down at it.

Very effective though. I really felt like I'd climbed a huge mountain, especially by the time you get up to the first Fire Temple entrance.

Actually, that whole section is one of my favourite bits. Exploring the mountain. bombing that bit of wall on the right to find a Gold Skulltulla, exploring the Goron village, making the pot spin around, making the Goron king dance, throwing the bombs into the Dodongo statue to make it open, trying to get into the Fire Temple when it's too hot, and so on, and so on...