Ocarina of Time Versus Wind Waker

ubob

My OOT-moment has to be the first time I was running over the plains, spotting a castle in the far, faaaar distance. I was convinced that this had to be a background texture, and my heart skipped a couple of beats when it turned out to be a 3d model !

Those were the days :-)

Ah yes. Same thing with the big mountain in the background. (forgot the name(s) of it now)

Death Mountain. Although the representation of it you could see from the field actually was just a flat billboard.

My OOT-moment has to be the first time I was running over the plains, spotting a castle in the far, faaaar distance. I was convinced that this had to be a background texture, and my heart skipped a couple of beats when it turned out to be a 3d model !

Ah yes. Same thing with the big mountain in the background. (forgot the name(s) of it now)

Death Mountain. Although the representation of it you could see from the field actually was just a flat billboard.

Ah yeah, that's true. But it was nice that you could get there eventually anyway.

Wind Waker is far more technically clever (as you'd expect). The islands approaching from the distance never cease to amaze me.

Death Mountain, Kakariko Village and the Goron Village (I think?).

Ah yeah, that's true. But it was nice that you could get there eventually anyway.

Yep. As a solid, living believable game world, OoT does it best. It's only when you've actually worked on a computer game yourself that games start to lose their magic. Learning about billboards and shit makes it very easy to see the glue and strings that hold games together. Sad that. Don't make games. :o

Oh man, I forgot about the way the islands appeared in front of you - now that was very nice!

I do however have to say that Epona > King of Red Lions. Epona was brilliant not only because there was more direct input required of the player to navigate the lands with her, but also there's something just brilliant about owning a horse that cannot be understated.

The King could have been better if it was just a boat, you know, the joys of owning a boat, but it never felt like you owned him, because he talked and everything. He was more like a character than something that was a part of your repetoire.

Fire Island (or whatever it's called) in TWW was graphically fantastic.. the heat haze in the dungeon was wonderfully impressive, and the puzzles, chucking water pots onto the lava then jumping on the platform.. that was pretty smart. Pity the rest of the dungeons didn't live up to this one.

Also, this island featured, in my opinion, one of the most emotional parts of the game... the young prince looking out to sea wondering where the girl had gone... beautiful music.

(oh.. and visiting your granny and she's asleep dreaming and worrying about link... I wish I could wake her up and let her know everything is ok)...

Brilliant games....

I'd also just like to say how much I'm liking this Zelda love-in we're having right now. :o

If there's one thing Nintendo have done for us with this collectors disk, it's re-ignite our passion for the 'lil green feller.

I'd also just like to say how much I'm liking this Zelda love-in we're having right now. :wub:

If there's one thing Nintendo have done for us with this collectors disk, it's re-ignite our passion for the 'lil green feller.

It's true. Even your least favourite Zelda game is the best thing ever. I could talk about it all day, but I'm supposed to be working.

Someone said something earlier in the thread about how many screenshots were revealed, yet they had barely scratched the surface. This is how I felt as well. When you just think of all the diverse locations, and how densely packed they are with incident, secrets and things to do, it boggles the mind.

I mean:

The Zora's domain.

The section leading up to it.

The Jabu Jabu area (with obscure secret areas that I only found late in the game)

The Village and Graveyard (More to do in a square mile than most entire games)

The Well

The Mountain, as mentioned

The Gerudo Valley, and being able to jump into the river to go to...

Lake Hylia

The Gerudo Fortress (Horseback Archery, getting arrested)

The Desert

The Lost Woods

And that's before mentioning any of the main areas, or dungeons. Or the plot. Or the items. Or the secrets. Or the masks. Or the...

There is far too much to mention in fact. This is why OoT is the best. VFM.

When you just think of all the diverse locations, and how densely packed they are with incident, secrets and things to do, it boggles the mind.

I mean:

The Zora's domain.

The section leading up to it.

The Jabu Jabu area (with obscure secret areas that I only found late in the game)

The Village and Graveyard (More to do in a square mile than most entire games)

The Well

The Mountain, as mentioned

The Gerudo Valley, and being able to jump into the river to go to...

Lake Hylia

The Gerudo Fortress (Horseback Archery, getting arrested)

The Desert

The Lost Woods

And that's before mentioning any of the main areas, or dungeons. Or the plot. Or the items. Or the secrets. Or the masks. Or the...

There is far too much to mention in fact. This is why OoT is the best. VFM.

Fuck it.

Tonight: I finish Master Quest.

Thanks.

I found WW to be more emotion-enducing - ignoring the "WOW!!!!!111" that I first experienced when I shoved the OOT cart in the machine come launch day. I really felt like I was a child, with no boundaries, when exploring Link's home island. And the look on his face when he first sets sail...

Guest Penguin_Lad
Everyone knows the LTTP is the best.

A lot of people say that, and I do agree that it is class, but there just isn't enough that is as memorable as OoT.

Go on, tell me why you think it's the best.

It's a matter of scale.

See? :wub:

I found WW to be more emotion-enducing - ignoring the "WOW!!!!!111" that I first experienced when I shoved the OOT cart in the machine come launch day. I really felt like I was a child, with no boundaries, when exploring Link's home island. And the look on his face when he first sets sail...

There's some beautiful bits in that game...

The wind coming down at the end and filling the sails.

I'll always remember being stuck alone at sea, no sound but distant thunder and the creak of the boat. It was dark, it was raining... high waves... I was alone.

What a great game.

I love zelda games...

Now.. how do they take them further though? Do you think there's room for another dungeon to find the hookshot? How will they explain link losing all his items in the next game (other than the rather obvious ship wreck that's probably going to happen!).

Anyway.. who cares... it's Zelda!

Heh, all they need is another "hero of time". They can set the next Zelda game where ever it suits them.

Regarding which is better...

Well OOT's dungeons are better than WW but I preferred the style and thought WW had a lot of charm.

I chased the pigs, laughed at the snotty nosed kid, fairy in the bottle and spend more time exploring and playing in WW than any of the other Zelda games bar Link to the Past.

A few people have mentioned though that it's mostly about the impact OOT had that makes it stand out. Even replaying it brings up those old feelings more than playing WW for the first time... for some people anyways.

I found WW to be more emotion-enducing - ignoring the "WOW!!!!!111" that I first experienced when I shoved the OOT cart in the machine come launch day.  I really felt like I was a child, with no boundaries, when exploring Link's home island.  And the look on his face when he first sets sail...

There's some beautiful bits in that game...

The wind coming down at the end and filling the sails.

I'll always remember being stuck alone at sea, no sound but distant thunder and the creak of the boat. It was dark, it was raining... high waves... I was alone.

What a great game.

I love zelda games...

Now.. how do they take them further though? Do you think there's room for another dungeon to find the hookshot? How will they explain link losing all his items in the next game (other than the rather obvious ship wreck that's probably going to happen!).

Anyway.. who cares... it's Zelda!

Perhaps the inevitable shipwreck will lead to a fully fledged 3D makeover of Link's Awakening...

Could happen.

So in summary apart from the graphics, the character animation, the black and white Hyrule section, the 3D camera, the sailing, the atmosphere at sea (particularly as storms come over etc), the mini games, the side quests, the lock on system, the deku leaf, the fairy's face when bottled, being able to become a seagull and the large living, breathing, consistant and beautiful world what did TWW do for us?

:wub:

Oh, how i long for the days of the celebrity voice emulator.

John Cleese ROM required! :wub:

Perhaps the inevitable shipwreck will lead to a fully fledged 3D makeover of Link's Awakening...

Could happen.

I swear to you, I'm hard just reading this. I've heard a short orchestrated version of the Ballad of the Wind Fish on the Hyrule Symphony OST, what I wouldn't give to hear that in its full length.

Guest Penguin_Lad

Do you know whats really stupid. If WW wasn't a Zelda game, people would have said it was bloody amazing - "As good as Zelda" in fact.

But people treat it harsher because it's Zelda.

I pity the foo's

Do you know whats really stupid. If WW wasn't a Zelda game, people would have said it was bloody amazing - "As good as Zelda" in fact.

But people treat it harsher because it's Zelda.

I pity the foo's

If it wasn't a Zelda game everyone would be proclaiming at the top of their lungs "OMG!! Look how blatantly it's stealing the Zelda formula!!!" :wub:

It's okay that WW apes OOT in almost every respect because it's from the same series - I think it would be hit even harder if it wasn't.