IGNORED

Star Trek Into Darkness - Full Trailer Post #256

Goose

With Super 8 out the way, all eyes are on what Abrams will do next. Not long after the Star Trek was released did Paramount book June 29th 2012 for the sequels release. Will it make it? I loved the reboot and look forward to where this sequel goes. More info as it arrives.

From /film, Cinemablend, and TrekMovie

Soon after the release of the latest Star Trek, Paramount announced the release date of June 29, 2012. That seemed doable a few years ago but with the film not yet in production and that date now one year away, does Abrams think it's possible?

I care much more that it be good than it be ready. I'm obviously doing everything I can to make sure that schedules don't get screwed up. But I don't think anyone wants a movie on time that's not worth your time. We want to make sure it's done right. The guys I've been working with are obviously brilliant so I'm really excited to get back into it.

And added some more info in his discussion with Collider:

I really don't know [if Star Trek will make its release date], we will see. We are working really hard to try and get that movie made as soon as possible, but we don't want to rush anything. The worst thing we could possibly do would be to put something into production to make a release date instead of a great movie.

So what's the latest on the film? We heard about the long outline but what does Abrams have to say? He said this to Dose:

The writers are hard at work on it, and I am excited about getting back to it. We are taking our time, though, because I really do want make sure we do something that is worthy of the first one.

What about the rumor that Paramount has already asked him about shooting the film in 3D? He answered that question over on Cinemablend:

I'm not yet considering [3D], but you know, I haven't gotten any phone call from people in suits. I know what's good for me.

Before the month is out, we'll probably have a lot of information on Star Trek 2 locked down. Chances are that, much like the first film which was scheduled to come out at Christmas but was then bumped to the following summer, it'll move back a few months

I’m not yet considering [3D], but you know, I haven’t gotten any phone call from people in suits. I know what’s good for me.

You have to wonder just how many directors have learned 'what's good for them' since Avatar's release...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I intended to spend last night playing Mario Galaxy, but I put on the first ten minutes of Star Trek to watch during dinner and wound up sitting through the whole thing for the third time. Normally the second instalment of a franchise is where it starts to experiment and take risks but Abrams really did go for broke from the opening moments on Trek. When it's not being startlingly reverent (the hero shot of the Enterprise in front of Saturn still gives me goosebumps) it's pulling shit like abrupt slapstick, half-explained backstories and cornflake sidekicks. He crammed so much potential for failure into every moment of the movie and still executed it flawlessly.

I guess what I'm saying is that the sequel has some huge shoes to fill.

I intended to spend last night playing Mario Galaxy, but I put on the first ten minutes of Star Trek to watch during dinner and wound up sitting through the whole thing for the third time. Normally the second instalment of a franchise is where it starts to experiment and take risks but Abrams really did go for broke from the opening moments on Trek. When it's not being startlingly reverent (the hero shot of the Enterprise in front of Saturn still gives me goosebumps) it's pulling shit like abrupt slapstick, half-explained backstories and cornflake sidekicks. He crammed so much potential for failure into every moment of the movie and still executed it flawlessly.

woah!

post-181-072933400 1317643034_thumb.jpg

It was overwrought rubbish.

I'm quite into my Star Trek. I hated the way they went with Voyager, and Enterprise rarely hit the mark properly.

But the reboot film is rather good. It pretty much hits the buttons of being a decent Star Trek film without being up its own arse and pissing off the audience. Kirk is cool, Spock is cool, and the ship makes things go boom. There are plot holes you could fly V'ger through (as did Star Trek IV, and who ever complains about that?), but it easily entertains and is a much better homage to the original series and films than the Next Generation films ever were. It clearly wants to be The Wrath of Khan, and who can blame it? It is flawed, but it is enjoyable. Only the worst Trekkies get upset by Star Trek which tries to be fun, the kind who believe the fifth film was the best one.

Sequel please.

There is no trekking. It takes place a tiny universe that is populated by about 15 characters. It is not Star Trek. It's just a pretty good sci-fi film with some familiar character names.

'How do you feel'? and the resulting reaction is a billion times more potent than the ridiculous Kirk VS Spock angry match. The whole thing is just spoon-feeding you sugary sci-fi junk. I want my REAL sci-fi.

Yeah, I always felt that Star Trek was almost perfect, doing loads of things I loved (different ones in different iterations of the franchise/movies) but never quite nailing it all in a coherent way, which for me JJ’s movie absolutely does, I think it’s brilliant.

My only disappointment about the movie is that it didn't manage to get enough McCoy in there. I hope that the sequel takes the time to play McCoy and Spock off each other, probably while Kirk is off in some sort of peril. When you've got those three characters together, Trek pretty much runs itself.

Never been a star trek fan really. I think I watched one of the more recent films ( whatever was released in 2003) and even then I technically didn't pay for it.

Loved the 2009 reboot though . Seen it two or three times but shame it's a long wait till the sequel.

There is no trekking. It takes place a tiny universe that is populated by about 15 characters. It is not Star Trek. It's just a pretty good sci-fi film with some familiar character names.

'How do you feel'? and the resulting reaction is a billion times more potent than the ridiculous Kirk VS Spock angry match. The whole thing is just spoon-feeding you sugary sci-fi junk. I want my REAL sci-fi.

What exactly is "real sci-fi"?

It's science fiction. Fiction. As in not real.

Watching Star Trek on tv last night reminded me how much I hated it when I saw it at the cinema. How bored and uninvolved I was. I enjoyed Transformers 3 at the cinema more which I hope says more about how much I hated it rather than my lack of good taste. The 3 hour film before the 1st series of Battlestar Galactica I watched a week before was far far better, far more of a journey, far more emotional, space battles that were technically tame in comparison, but they're sort of calm, still and quiet. There's a vibe to them. JJ Abrams directs as though he's only interested in the surface details, not the substance. It's really empty.

The look, direction and tone of a film is the most important thing of all to me..because it informs how the story is told, how characters are presented

stuff happens, characters can be in mortal danger, but the camera can't stop swinging around like its trying hard to be dynamic, and it's like it feels the need to bombard you with prettiness and quick cuts in order to keep you interested and excited, it's so ultra modern and shallow.

What exactly is "real sci-fi"?

It's science fiction. Fiction. As in not real.

Sci-fi is about reframing humanity outside of any familiar context and so exposing our essential psychological makeup to the ultimate trial-by-fire - a complete vacuum. It's also about pushing humanity to its limits through being faced with the complete unknown - a revisit of the times we poked our heads out of caves and properly went for it. Full circle with a circumference of a quarter of a million years. Not fucking Home and Away in space.

Sci-fi is about reframing humanity outside of any familiar context and so exposing our essential psychological makeup to the ultimate trial-by-fire - a complete vacuum. It's also about pushing humanity to its limits through being faced with the complete unknown - a revisit of the times we poked our heads out of caves and properly went for it. Full circle with a circumference of a quarter of a million years. Not fucking Home and Away in space.

it's about killing things with lasers.