IGNORED

Far Cry 3.

Moz

Rock Paper Shotgun's game of the year:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/24/magnificent-and-important-advent-calendar-day-24/

Of course it's filled with personal anecdotes that put the emergent gameplay om the pedestal, but John is very right about this:

And absolutely crucially, it’s a really great shooter. That’s too easy to overlook in the fuss. The movement is utterly brilliant, the sliding into cover, the skidding down hillsides, the swift, generous sprint. The gunplay is fantastic, different weapons handling very differently, with broad variety and adaptability, so you can create the four-part arsenal that perfectly suited you. And damn, that bow is incredible. Adjusting for trajectory, boosted with skills, taking out a deer from 50 feet makes you feel amazing. Silently taking out a guard on a tower makes you feel like James Bond meets Hawkeye.

And EG's games of 2012 article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-24-games-of-2012-far-cry-3

It's not my game of the year, but it's damn good, so I'm glad it's getting some deserved recognition.

Cheers zok, the guy I knifed did have a hat and scarf.

Goose, yeah only problem I have is distinguishing the map symbol for boards from that for pigs.

As for graphics.....I actually think they don't seem quite as good as fc2 on console, although maybe I just haven't found the right kind of vista yet. Certainly zero complaints over framerate....I havent been aware of it at all, even at the start when I made a point of looking for it.

Rock Paper Shotgun's game of the year:

http://www.rockpaper...alendar-day-24/

Of course it's filled with personal anecdotes that put the emergent gameplay om the pedestal, but John is very right about this:

And EG's games of 2012 article:

http://www.eurogamer...-2012-far-cry-3

It's not my game of the year, but it's damn good, so I'm glad it's getting some deserved recognition.

Yeah, it's a really good game but I don't think it's the best of the year. It provides so much immersion with the amazing movement, wonderful environment and hilarious & exciting chaos but it then evaporates it completely with the overbearing GUI and OTT hand-holding. It's such a weird jarring contrast of styles. Plus the story is shit.

Amazingly fun game while the map is still red though :)

Anyone got tips for doing outposts undetected?

I notice you need to do two before you're allowed to unlock one of the later stealth skills.

I can do them with no alarms easy enough, but that's not the same thing. Ain't like I'm hurting for stealth weapons atm either.

Oh, also had a bug where my grenades were showing as full in the corner, but turned out to be empty under the radial menu.

Only realised when I tried to nade a jeep and nothing happened...so he accellerates at me, I pop the driver through the windscreen, he swerves and hits a rock, rolling the jeep and sending the gunner ragdolling before the whole lot catches fire and explodes.

I might have to try shooting out a tire next tire and see if I can flip it.

Oh, also....anyone find the reticules on the gun optics to be a bit chunky and hard to use? The red dot is usually the size of the head I'm trying to aim at.

Conversely, I just nearly smashed my xbox into smithereens. Vaas spoilers:

After suffering a few silly difficulty spikes, I then get to a dream fight with Vaas, armed with a shitty SMG pea-shooter that runs out of ammo stupidly quickly.

Game of the year?? FUCK OFF!! If the main plot was good, with the main missions also good, then maybe, but ...just fuck off.

God I did that bit last night too. Awful. I only died once, then I realised you don't HAVE to walk on the path, and can run anywhere.

That whole bit made no sense whatsoever. I appreciate that it is obviously going for a 'what is real' angle, but shit it was just weird. And then Citra basically loves you and is like DONT LEAVE. Fucks sake.

And re citra:

she's supposed to be vaas' sister?! What the actual fuck? I'm actually gutted they killed him off so soon, you only meet him a few times then he dies in a rubbish dream sequence? Cop out!

I've found all of the story.mission to be pretty painful to be honest. They rarely feature the open gameplay the rest of the game champions.

Anyway. Roll on second island. If I just plough through the story, will I be able to do the outposts at the end, after I've finished?

Actually, it just occurred to me: What is the games definition of 'undetected' anyway?

I had assumed it meant they shouldn't even know they're under attack (so discovered bodies, no being aware of being shot at etc as well as obviously no setting off alarms because of this).

However, I suppose it could just as easily mean no physical sight of you....in which case I can just hang back and snipe or lob a load of ordinance over the fence.

Bloody hell, I'll be raining hand grenades on them then. :)

Bit of a bugger that the save system is odd though.

Generally the GTA type system works perfectly well I think, so long as you're expecting it and not a more conventional system. I died a few times last night due to silly things like getting stuck in a cluster of trees while a tiger made a finger buffet of me, and it always reset me to a logical spot.

One thing I wasn't expecting, which was a pleasant surprise, is that it also autosaves on the outskirts of outposts, so if you die in a liberation attempt you can try again immediately. Which is ace.

However, it autosaves again on success, and since there isn't actually any option to reload manually (or even make alternate slot hard saves as far as I can tell) it means that if you unlock an outpost accidentally by unintended means then you're stuck with it. Bit of a bugger when you're chasing that undetected status.

Also (also).....the trial minigames are bloody good aren't they? Almost in a very short halo firefight kinda way.

Fucking hard though....I've only done one, and it was set in an outpost or encampment of some sort full of pirates, and I was given a stug assault rifle. Hardly ideal for racking up the more rewarding stealth kills that seem to be the only way to score big. Still, I can see myself coming back to these again an again after the campaign is done.

Also, fucking poker! Except this time I dont have to listen to bigoted store clerks going on about the jews. Very good voice acting actually.

On the other hand I've just read the eurogamer 2012 article, the bit where he goes on about the grenade launcher....and tbh I preferred the milkor from FC2, just because the explosions were big and dusty, kicking up mud, leaves and shrapnel everywhere. More games need explosions like that, less of this hollywood bright orange fiery pyrotechnics.

Apart from when I had to, I don't think I used either the rocket launcher or the flame thrower. Both good fun though.

The trials are great mini-games, I did one last night where it was just helicopters! There's also one where it's knife kills only, and another great one that swaps to a different weapon each time you empty a clip.

If you've only just started playing it, be aware that when you take an outpost, you remove all pirate presence in the surrounding area too - no more random gun fights etc. It's ok to start with, but when you've cleared about 60-70% on the first island, it becomes like a large gaming reserve rather than a place to stumble across a pirate patrol out for blood.

Two random things I'd not seen before, despite throwing nearly 30 hours into the game - Very minor spoilers

Look into the ocean from up high, I spotted a shoal of Manta rays. Went down and swam with them after killing three sharks in the area. I also stumbled across two woman praying/crying at a graveside.

They shot the bottle, then I set fire to one of them with a flame thrower. He then ran around screaming and fell to the ground next to his mate, setting the grass and said mate on fire.

Said mate then collapsed next to a barn, setting it on fire, which killed the three pigs inside allowing me to make a new wallet or something.

I got this for Christmas. I've just started playing it, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the barrage of stuff that's getting added to my handbook. Any tips on what is a good thing to do first?

Also, I have the Lost Expeditions code in my box. Is it worth redeeming, or shall I just flog it on Ebay?

I got this for Christmas. I've just started playing it, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the barrage of stuff that's getting added to my handbook. Any tips on what is a good thing to do first?

I don't think I bothered much with the handbook. First thing is to discover what you need to hunt/skin in order to carry more than one weapon/bigger rucksack/bigger wallet. Don't worry about the story or outposts, unless you run into the latter by accident. Once you've got at least a two weapon holster, give an outpost take down a try. Drive around a bit, fight some random pirates, do a supply run, hunt some random animals. Mess around!

Cheers Goose, will do that. Already noticed my wallet has nearly exceeded its limit anyway. Killing mans is certainly profitable. I initially set out to claim another radio tower, thinking it didn't look too far on the map, but it now seems miles away.

So far, it feels a lot busier than Far Cry 2.