IGNORED

Far Cry 3.

Moz

I got the PC I half built last year finally working. Have it hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI and playing with a 360 pad.

At 1600x900, I have everything set to high, V sync on, HBOA or whatever and it runs at a solid 50FPS. It is insane how much more impressive it is when it looks so good and smooth. In comparison I've played the PS3 version for about 20 hours. I took a quick pic with my camera phone so it isn't great (more to show the framerate capture), but nuts that a GPU that I paid 85 pounds for (GTX 460 TOP OC- bought it over a year ago) is pumping that out:

post-70-0-61124800-1357160602_thumb.jpg

You don't need a monster rig to run this well. It is worth looking into if you have a half decent PC

I'm thankful that boar skins (and hence greater ammo capacity) are hard to come by, because having to scrounge ammo from dead pirates is all part of it.

I liked the mission where you crawled out of a pile of bodies, and any weapons you had needed to be scrounged or looted. You build up from having to kill multiple enemies just with a knife, to killing a band of pirates (including a heavy) with whatever you've picked up along the way. Elsewhere you mostly have to create your own goals to challenge you, though.

In what's becoming a rarity for me, I've played through to the finish, leaving all the side missions and towers etc to still complete.

I saved the friends because the whole thing about turning into this warrior didn't really grab me. Outside of the TATAU (bro, sweet tataus) I was shootin' and a-huntin' from the first few seconds of the game so the metamorphosis wasn't particularly convincing. Plus Citra said she loves me, which seemed a bit soon and one step away from joint Christmas cards. I checked on the alternate ending and I was right not to trust that clingy bitch. She does have some sweet tataus though, bro.

Hoyt was a disappointment, considering the game hype and advertising was centred around the more interesting Vaas as the main villain. If it was a swerve to kill him off relatively early it seemed a misstep.

When you get on to the second island is the game over a lot quicker or is it just that a lot of my early gameplay involved wandering around looking for towers and outposts?

Well no, but it just seemed he came and went a bit quick, really. Waste of a character. He had awesome potential!

I had a theory when I first started playing that he was basically going to be the same as Brody, i.e. was once a kidnapped tourist that eventually went a bit crazy, and that was going to be the story.

But no, it just all went a bit psychedelic and a bit stupid instead :(

All characters are wasted in that game, as it requires none. Just imagine what it would have been like if they had taken all the resources scripting and recording the 'characters', and put that into pirate / privateer 'scripts' instead.

That's what the game should be. Far Cry 3: The NeverEnding Outposts

So far so farcry with fc2 mechanics, i got spotted by a jeep, i take it out, so another one shows up, i take it out. Then a third.

Attracted by the sound of gunfire?

Hard to say. Except I managed to do the no alarm cheeve on an out post by mining an exit and drawing the guys towards me... And more mines.

Why mines? Not sure, I was trying to heal myself and panicked...

All characters are wasted in that game, as it requires none. Just imagine what it would have been like if they had taken all the resources scripting and recording the 'characters', and put that into pirate / privateer 'scripts' instead.

That's what the game should be. Far Cry 3: The NeverEnding Outposts

Ah indeed, this is what I would want ideally too. A never ending, randomly generated game of outpost liberations. That'd do me nicely. With no hud, a proper map you can read while driving, and even (I realise I may be alone in this) survival aspects like eating and drinking.

Just started this last night. Did the openers, then tackled some slight wandering, followed by a second radio tower, mushroom hunt, trial and a quad bike run.

It's excellent so far! I'm just basically shooting and knifing at the moment, but it does already feel like I've got scope for fun. I am hopeful.

Some of the medic run side-missions are excellent, despite initially appearing to be filler. Barreling downhill, barely in control of a jeep or quad bike, unable to even clearly see past the next ridgeline; hasn't gotten even slightly old yet.

I can not speak highly enough of finding a good spot deep in enemy territory and blowing the shit out of enemy vehicles with C4.

I also think the Undetected bonus can be a bit stifling for people concerned about amassing enough XP to complete the Tattoo. It's fun and tense going for it but it makes going in loud feel like the wrong thing to do.

On my next run I'm not bothered about XP. Apart from one or two of the specialized takedowns the skill trees don't offer much essential functionality.

The races and delivery missions show how thought out the terrain is that they can create such interesting on road/off road combinations. The ones that have you move from vehicle to vehicle are particularly fun. The handling model for the vehicles is spot on too and wouldn’t be out of place in a devoted racing game IMO.

I was thinking that the other evening. With both this and Assassin's Creed Italy games, for such vast spaces, there is so much attention to detail. Nothing feels random. There are parts of Far Cry 3 that you could completely miss if you weren't going for relics or wandering that feel like they had the same attention as full levels designed for other games. There's a whole network of underground caverns, caves and tributaries that put Tomb Raider to shame...

that deer hunt mission, with the m-700 sniper?

being able to see them THROUGH the hill, not so useful, when you have limited ammo and try to do it during the night cycle.

Wait for daytime, ok?

Loved sliding from my second tower to the first quadbike run, died when the jeep caught up with me, at the finish line, though

I also think the Undetected bonus can be a bit stifling for people concerned about amassing enough XP to complete the Tattoo. It's fun and tense going for it but it makes going in loud feel like the wrong thing to do.

Yeah, its odd, feels like the game should give more info on detection. I was trying to go undetected on every outpost, but always just let rip when I got spotted, so was running out of outposts (on the first island at least) in order to get the two undetected liberations required for one of the tattoo things. I've got them now, but the second one I got, I was anything but quiet. I'd managed to zipline onto a roof in the middle of an outpost, and had 9 C4's with me, which I just kept lobbing off the edge of the roof onto pirates below. After the first one, more of the pirates gathered to investigate which made them sitting ducks. Despite all sorts of panic from below, I was still considered undetected.

I had sort of been assuming that to be "undetected", you'd need to kill people without them seeing you, and not let other pirates see the bodies - sort of MGS style.

I thought they shouldnt even know they're under attack, but it turns out you just cant be physically seen. Doesnt matter if they know yer around somewhere.

Yes. I think you lose it the second the white arrow fills up, shakes, and makes that characteristic ding. Until then, even if they glimpse you, you're golden.

Yes. I think you lose it the second the white arrow fills up, shakes, and makes that characteristic ding. Until then, even if they glimpse you, you're golden.

What's strange then is that someone can see their mates get blown to bits with C4, but not think its worth raising an alarm for ^_^

My favourite 'undetected' base assault was when I drove up in one of those jeeps with a mounted gun, loaded with Rakyat, jumped out of the jeep before I was spotted and ran up a nearby hill, then watched the Rakyat start a fight and wipe out the base from the jeep. STEALTH.

You can pick up rakyat? Blimey.

My favourite was possibly getting to a high ridgeline (one of the perks of the south island), hiding just over the crest and lobbing a dozen molotovs down at the mining base below. When I popped up for a look, the remaining half-dozen guards had all been herded into a small 10 metre clearing by the fire, so I just sat there sniping them and they couldn't move and inch if they wanted. :D