IGNORED

The Next Gen consoles

Major Britten

Do Platinum fit into that? I don't think so, but it's surprising how many Japanese niche developers have clung on, so I don't know.

Well I'd say that was down to how the Japanese don't spend more than they earn in general, and it shows in the general production values of their retail games, so swings and roundabouts. I read that the recent VanillaWare game only had a budget of $1 Million, which is their most expensive game ever too, some Western devs get more than that for a Kickstarter.

The whole PC getting all the games is a bit overplayed, seems same as the current gen going forward, if it makes sense, they do a PC port, sometimes it don't make sense, like the new EA Sports games or some (kiddie) licensed game or if you're a Japanese publisher making a home market game.

Other Japanese devs well. Games like Killer is Dead, Catherine, Ni No Kuni, Dragon's Crown and the Yakuza series are all console exclusive. The biggest Western console exclusive has to be Red Dead Redemption. Can't think of many more.

Rising coming to PC is great, I hope it's successful enough for them to green light Vanquish and Bayonetta ports as well.Kamiya Star Fox, please!

Wouldn't you need to ask Sega for those?

That could happen, they ported the formerly console exclusive Creative Assembly game, years after launch for no apparent demand reason, as an X360 port exists of both those games, makes life easier to port from. Proper constant 60fps with no framedrops Bayonetta would finally do full justice to that game. Do a Ghostlight on them to cover the costs upfront, barebones it to lower the bar even further.

Some Japanese devs have been making the right noises with regards to releasing their games on PC. Y's devs are interested in bringing more to Steam, Sega have done well with their Sonic racing titles and Total war (not very Japanese i know) series , Dark Souls 2 PC is the lead platform, Metal gear rising getting a release along with games like DMC and Lost Planet 3 getting releases on steam.

There is a definite market for Japanese games on PC and devs are slowly realising this. Would love to see more Japanese love from people like Platimum. Personally over the last few years my games collection has been more western centric but thank god for From Software and DSfix.

My point is that they have Japanese influence but geared towards western taste (maybe except Total Rome dunno have not played it). These are the kinds of games I envisage we will see more rather than dating sims or more wacky stuff. Would be nice to see Japanese indies on Steam.

My point is that they have Japanese influence but geared towards western taste (maybe except Total Rome dunno have not played it). These are the kinds of games I envisage we will see more rather than dating sims or more wacky stuff. Would be nice to see Japanese indies on Steam.

From the sounds of it, don't hold your breath, Valve are hardly pro-active in courting native Japanese developers to bring their games to their service, even in Japan, the indie scene in Japan is still local games for local people, they aren't that fussed about enticing foreigners or their money.

You would think Japanese devs would use digital as a way to get their niche (outside of Japan) stuff into other territories. But most of them are so achingly slow at embracing digital distribution, maybe they see it as a step down rather than an opportunity to widen their audience.

From the sounds of it, don't hold your breath, Valve are hardly pro-active in courting native Japanese developers to bring their games to their service, even in Japan, the indie scene in Japan is still local games for local people, they aren't that fussed about enticing foreigners or their money.

I'm sure I've read they have meetings with various Japanese publishers and developers, and attend Japanese indie focused events to try and court Japanese games onto Steam. Also I'm sure I read that Japanese indies are averse to greenlight (and things like kickstarter) as they don't like to be seen to fail publically?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I can see a slight flaw in your argument, there.

On the post he talks about his views on next gen (which is his first post in the thread) there is +1 (it was 0 when I read it) rep points, obviously he was negged and then the next post he says "I can't see why I was negged" and that post has -15, IMO it's because he questioned obvious negs to the post before.

What am I missing? Maybe i'm having a bad/thick day and haven't noticed ha !

I meant the very first post, where I say there'll be fewer retail games and loads more downloadable stuff and F2P.

If you're a supporter you can click on the rep and see all the downs and ups.

Yeah I can't see them, the negs and pos's must have been balanced out if it was negged a lot as it was 0 when I read it and now is +1.

On the post he talks about his views on next gen (which is his first post in the thread) there is +1 (it was 0 when I read it) rep points, obviously he was negged and then the next post he says "I can't see why I was negged" and that post has -15, IMO it's because he questioned obvious negs to the post before.

What am I missing? Maybe i'm having a bad/thick day and haven't noticed ha !

It's on +1 because of me, but yeah, as RJ says - it was initially negged, then balanced, then negged, then balanced etc. (it got negged 8 times in total) - he certainly got negged more for commenting on the, er, negs afterwards, but obviously he wouldn't have been able to comment on the negs... if he hadn't been negged in the first place. I.e. he couldn't have "got negged because you questioned why you got negged" if he hadn't been negged before commenting, obviously enough.

But yeah, commenting on being negged for things that don't seem reasonable is generally a bad idea, as it just draws peoples' ire for moaning and results in an even angrier red number.

I meant the very first post, where I say there'll be fewer retail games and loads more downloadable stuff and F2P.

If you're a supporter you can click on the rep and see all the downs and ups.

See, I knew I must have given you a +1 at some point in my life!

You were getting negged for moaning about getting negged by the look of it.

I got in a big fight with Gerbik over him saying Watch Dogs, a game designed to be multiplatform, might not be able to run on both consoles that it was designed for. Was perhaps a little angrier than I needed to be, plus I didn't expect the gulf in power to be as big as it apparently is.

I'll chalk that one up as a draw.