IGNORED

The Next Gen consoles

Major Britten

What I would encourage you to think is that the disc is the start of a five-year relationship with the gamer, we will try to refine and extend the product over many years.

OH FUCK OFF WITH THIS SHITE PLEASE

What games 'require' direct mapping of motion?

Surely games with direct mapping of motion were only developed because a console with a control method that could require direct mapping of motion appeared, requiring their development?

You could apply the same argument to every game ever made. Did Mario 64 only require analogue control because the N64's analogue controller needed a game with analogue control, or did Nintendo have to make an analogue controller because their design for Mario 64 required one? Well, it's both. These things don't happen in isolation. The fact is, the game was designed to a specification, and the hardware facilitates that specification. Broadly speaking, that specification isn't "required" to exist in the first place, but that's true of every game ever, so the point is meaningless.

As for your question, I've already specified two: Wii Sports Resort and Dance Central.

I wonder if Nintendo just tried out the Wii to see what happened, thinking to perhaps do a more 'normal' console much sooner but once itprintsmoney.gif happened, just lolled all the way to the bank and didn't bother. Because wasn't there early prototypes made for the cube anyway? Or am I totally making that up?

I'm probably just delirious now but wasn't there a rumour that was what the DS was, almost a trial, as it wasn't the proper GameBoy 2 and that was allegedly still in the pipeline?

I've now just turned into that kid in the playground haven't I 'My dad works for the Nintendo HQ and saw the Super Duper Nintendo that they is working on!1!1!

I think Nintendo knew that their console sales were going to stay on a decline if they kept on doing the same thing. So they had to do something. They probably did have other hardware ready that they could have released fairly quickly if the DS and Wii were badly received.

I've got no doubt that the Wii U was a reaction to the perception of both the DS and the Wii. They both sold amazingly well, but the DS was received far better than the Wii. The Wiimote was the issue there. And there's no way that you can win over someone that is just saying that they hate "waggle" outright, so why persist with it? Nintendo want as many people as possible buying their systems and software for it.

If anything, it's a shame that Nintendo have tried to pander to the people who blatantly have no interest in their products. The Wiimote is probably not going to be supported well in single player games in the future and that's shit.

And also, didn't Nintendo say they wanted to get back the hardcore with the WiiU?

Why would they want us back if we're such horrible pointless arseholes?

They said "hardcore gamer" but I actually think they meant "core gamer".

Core gamers don't really care about stuff from Platinum Games, Treasure, or Cave and the like.

What kind of gamer are you if you like artsy fartsy games like Journey, Ico and Rez, indie stuff like Legend of Grimrock, Hotline Miami and Fez, open world games like Fallout, Grand Theft Auto and Far Cry, shooting games like Bulletstorm, Call of Duty and Half Life, story-heavy games like The Walking Dead, Alan Wake and Heavy Rain, racers like Hot Pursuit, Forza and Riiidge Racer, platformers like Mario 3D Land, Ratchet & Clank and Super Meat Boy, strategy like Civilization, Advance Wars and Command & Conquer but don't give a toss about anything Platinum, Treasure or Cave have ever released?

What kind of gamer are you if you like artsy fartsy games like Journey, Ico and Rez, indie stuff like Legend of Grimrock, Hotline Miami and Fez, open world games like Fallout, Grand Theft Auto and Far Cry, shooting games like Bulletstorm, Call of Duty and Half Life, story-heavy games like The Walking Dead, Alan Wake and Heavy Rain, racers like Hot Pursuit, Forza and Riiidge Racer, platformers like Mario 3D Land, Ratchet & Clank and Super Meat Boy, strategy like Civilization, Advance Wars and Command & Conquer but don't give a toss about anything Platinum, Treasure or Cave have ever released?

I'd personally take a stab at labeling all that as casual gaming, speaking in a circa-year 2000 sense. With the exclusion of Half-Life, Ridge, and Advance Wars.

What others class as casual gaming (Wii Party Time, Farmville and other stuff your mum would play), I don't even acknowledge. That's not gaming, it's just farting around wasting time on a digital platform.

For most it's a tricky line to draw, although when you're as much of a cunt as I am it's quite straight-forward.

What I'm trying to say is that Nintendo claim that they are bringing the hardcore back, a bold statement to make. I imagine a fair few Platinum Games, Retro Studios, Cave, and Treasure releases... when in actual fact I'm probably just going to get lumped with a ton of generic and dull western-developed FPS games and racing sims.

Saying that, I stand by my earlier prediction in that it will be THE platform for smaller/niche devs who don't want to take too much of a risk going big-bucks development on the other two.

You were doing really well, up until that last part. :(

Saying that, I stand by my earlier prediction in that it will be THE platform for smaller/niche devs who don't want to take too much of a risk going big-bucks development on the other two.

Wouldn't they just go download only, which I can't see Nintendo becoming the champion of?

Yeah in the circa year 2000 sense games like ICO, Legend of Grimrock and Civ are clearly casual but Ridge and Advance wars aren't :wacko: And this is why it's such a nonsense distinction to make, although I of course often do it myself.

Ask around how many people have completed RR6 with 1000 gamer score, or either of the AW games on Hard mode, or similar achievements. Chances are they haven't even gave it a thought, pussy out/get distracted part way through (me), or are in no way capable to begin with.

And as lovely as Ico is, it hardly gets the heart pumping and the jizz shooting. I remember the debates from ten years ago - many stating the game is simply 'art' whilst others bashed it for having dull gameplay.

Wouldn't they just go download only, which I can't see Nintendo becoming the champion of?

Perhaps, but I'm thinking of stuff that goes slightly beyond download only. Platinum Games won't be around for much longer if their stuff carries on selling the way it is doing. This platform could be a haven for such developers.

Ask around how many people have completed RR6 with 1000 gamer score, or either of the AW games on Hard mode, or similar achievements. Chances are they haven't even gave it a thought, pussy out/get distracted part way through (me), or are in no way capable to begin with.

And as lovely as Ico is, it hardly gets the heart pumping and the jizz shooting. I remember the debates from ten years ago - many stating the game is simply 'art' whilst others bashed it for having dull gameplay.

It just goes to show what a stupid non-definition 'hardcore' is. I don't see the point at all in 100% completing games or playing them at the highest difficulty level, and I never did even in the days when I played games 6-7 hours a day. I define 'hardcore' as being in the know on what's out there and what's coming, having a taste for quality games and looking further than the charts for interesting experiences. Somebody who tries to get the technology and setup to gain the maximum enjoyment and immersion out of them and takes interest in new developments that may take it even further and who can talk about games and publishers and history and technology for hours if pushed.

I should also add that Ico made my jizz shoot in abundance, I absolutely loved the experience although I agree that in the challenge stakes it wasn't much of an adrenaline rush. But that's not really what I look for in games anyway.

I think I agree. Sensible stuff.

But you dissed Platinum, CAVE and Treasure (well said they ain't for you which is the same) and that's really really sad :(

Everyone in the world ought to own at least one game from each of these developers. In my opinion.

By dataDave's definition someone who loves 100%-ing Angry Birds on some iOS device but doesn't give a shit about 'serious' gaming on any other format is way more hardcore than, for example, owning an original Saturn version of Radiant Silvergun and playing it for fun on an old CRT telly that you keep especially for playing your huge retro collection on. I would never consider skill and high-scores as part of what defines 'hardcore' in gaming, but it just goes to show that any definition of 'hardcore' is shit in its own special way.

By dataDave's definition someone who loves 100%-ing Angry Birds on some iOS device but doesn't give a shit about 'serious' gaming on any other format is way more hardcore than, for example, owning an original Saturn version of Radiant Silvergun and playing it for fun on an old CRT telly that you keep especially for playing your huge retro collection on. I would never consider skill and high-scores as part of what defines 'hardcore' in gaming, but it just goes to show that any definition of 'hardcore' is shit in its own special way.

You're 100% right, I'm just highlighting how sad it is for Nintendo to use the term as leverage, for me I find it misleading as I would never consider the general CoD crowd as hardcore.

They said "hardcore gamer" but I actually think they meant "core gamer".

Core gamers don't really care about stuff from Platinum Games, Treasure, or Cave and the like.

If this is meant sincerely then holy shit.

What others class as casual gaming (Wii Party Time, Farmville and other stuff your mum would play), I don't even acknowledge. That's not gaming, it's just farting around wasting time on a digital platform.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

What the fuck do you think playing with any game system is then?

The chances are that they have a fucking life.

If this is meant sincerely then holy shit.

Yeah it is. Those games sell like shite, despite being the best there is.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

What the fuck do you think playing with any game system is then?

It depends how serious you take things. If you're just going to mindlessly plod around with anything you're wasting time.

The chances are that they have a fucking life.

So, by that reckoning serious gamers have no lives? Sound.

GAMES. The clue is in the title.

Games is an archaic term. Mention that you're into games as your main hobby to most people and they will take you for a big kid.

Why? If that's what you enjoy?

Just because someone enjoys wasting time doesn't NOT make it a waste of time.

Games is an archaic term. Mention that you're into games as your main hobby to most people and they will take you for a big kid.

Just because someone enjoys wasting time doesn't NOT make it a waste of time.

You're one of those who's ashamed of their hobby, aren't you? Trying to justify the hours you pump into any game is a pointless endeavour. Unless you're playing them for money at the highest level, games are nothing more than colossal wastes of time; incredibly enjoyable and satisfying, yes, hence why I love them, but wastes of time, nonetheless.