IGNORED

The Next Gen consoles

Major Britten

Games is an archaic term.

It's really not, it perfectly captures what videogames are- a form of entertainment based around arbitrary rules, where victory is achieved through skill and luck. Football and rugby are similarly games (well, physical team games, AKA sports), so is poker and chess, but no-one seems self-conscious about those being referred to as such.

I prefer games to films. And I've posted loads about games I play. I just can't stand this awful 'core gamer' shit and feel that it should be called out.

I never said you didn't post about games. I said you're a self hating gamer.

Do yourself a favour and just have some humility and don't try to deny it. I've watched you for years and years making these little comments. I remember. I take it all in and file it away somewhere in my head.

Snide, nasty comments. The comments of someone who harbours a sense of embarassment about their hobby.

Please don't deny it because it will really piss me off. I know you do it. I've read your posts for the last ten years.

Sort your shit out. Because the impression you give is of thinking games are pointless and gamers are wankers for liking them. Fucking tired of it, Hoop.

I never said you didn't post about games. I said you're a self hating gamer.

Do yourself a favour and just have some humility and don't try to deny it. I've watched you for years and years making these little comments. I remember. I take it all in and file it away somewhere in my head.

Snide, nasty comments. The comments of someone who harbours a sense of embarassment about their hobby.

Please don't deny it because it will really piss me off. I know you do it. I've read your posts for the last ten years.

Sort your shit out. Because the impression you give is of thinking games are pointless and gamers are wankers for liking them. Fucking tired of it, Hoop.

well that's him told!

In regards to all that 'no one uses HD' chat we had a while ago (this thread's gone bonkers over the past few days) did anyone see this from the bbc;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20957218

There are still 13,000 black and white TV licences in the UK :lol:

Bring on E3 though, if SONY manage to release the Orbis this year, I'll be amazed. Cat amongst the pigeons time. popcorn.gif

Also, to bring the thread to next gen talk instead of previous gen, the question is will Nintendo be able to get third party support back in such a way that you wouldn't miss out i you only had a Wii U?

Anybody who just looked at the upcoming release lists and read the dev comments would be able to tell you the answer to that one.

When Project Café was still a far away dream time, the possibilities where endless and we had no idea if the cat was alive or dead, but as all the possible quantum states have collapsed and we open the box gingerly, I ain't hearing much noise from inside. If Nintendo really, really wanted the situation to change, they'd have done things differently than what has so far transpired.

I mean, despite the boss of Crytek praising the Wii U and CryEngine 3 running perfectly fine on it, they aren't doing a version for that machine due to "business reasons". If you can't convince EA to fund a port of a major game with an already working engine for a current generation game, good luck with the future.

In regards to all that 'no one uses HD' chat we had a while ago (this thread's gone bonkers over the past few days) did anyone see this from the bbc;

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-20957218

There are still 13,000 black and white TV licences in the UK :lol:

I loved this quote: "when you turn it off there's a white dot in the middle of the screen that stays for a little while which I think's great."

Now, I know what the guy means - little quirks of older technology that you've had for ages are something you can grow quite fond of. But I also like to chuckle at the alternative reading - that he's fascinated by the little white dot. It's the best thing he's ever seen.

I remember in the late nineties, I went to one of my brother's friends' house for some gaming on his PlayStation, only to find he had it hooked up to a black and white TV. It made playing FIFA quite the testing experience. Y'know, more than it already was what with late nineties FIFA being really rather turd.

The craziest thing is that people are actually calling the PS4 "Orbis" after those crazy spoilers where Durango was a holodeck.

Oh sorry, has it got a proper name yet? I thought PS4 was definitely out because of it being an unlucky number and Orbis was all we'd heard so far.

My apologies

So those 4 AMD cores would need to emulate the Cell's main CPU and 6 SPEs in order to get backward compatibility i.e. PS4 won't be backward compatible (unless they put a Cell in there AS WELL lol!). No big deal.

I loved this quote: "when you turn it off there's a white dot in the middle of the screen that stays for a little while which I think's great."

Now, I know what the guy means - little quirks of older technology that you've had for ages are something you can grow quite fond of. But I also like to chuckle at the alternative reading - that he's fascinated by the little white dot. It's the best thing he's ever seen.

I remember in the late nineties, I went to one of my brother's friends' house for some gaming on his PlayStation, only to find he had it hooked up to a black and white TV. It made playing FIFA quite the testing experience. Y'know, more than it already was what with late nineties FIFA being really rather turd.

I kind of miss watching snooker and having to figure out what colour each ball was by its position and slight differences in shade.

Backwards compatability becomes more of a deal with the rise this generation of downloadable titles. Whereas with an old console with a stack of discs you can offload the lot to put towards the upgrade in hardware, a lack of physical media means you either keep the compatible hardware, or you wave goodbye to all those games you've bought with nary a penny in return.

Oh sorry, has it got a proper name yet? I thought PS4 was definitely out because of it being an unlucky number and Orbis was all we'd heard so far.

My apologies

No idea why RJ is going LOL about the Orbis name:

http://orbis.scedev.net/

Which is rather similar to what Nintendo did for Café.

https://www.wariowor...ld.com/cafe/ - probably no longer functional, but it did exist at the time.

Some guy who seems to know something, considering his general postings, mentioned some stuff about what to expect from Durango/Orbis

Originally Posted by Pistolero: View Post

Both machines seem quite capable, although there is no doubt in my mind that Microsoft will win the graphics race (past empahsis on GPU centric machines, the heavy customization involved this time... :). Not by a huge margin though!

You are approaching this in the complete wrong way. Both consoles are designed with different goals in mind. One will have faster frame rates, better texture streaming, and the ability to push more polygons. The other will offer more texture variety in static scenes (Heavy Rain), higher resolution textures, and better detail.

If the rumored specs turn out to be 100% on the money, the machines will have advantages for different genre's and exclusives will look more exceptional than they already do this generation. Third parties might have porting headaches, but all things considered, it will be a wash.

You are approaching this in the complete wrong way. Both consoles are designed with different goals in mind. One will have faster frame rates, better texture streaming, and the ability to push more polygons. The other will offer more texture variety in static scenes (Heavy Rain), higher resolution textures, and better detail.

Some guy who seems to know something, considering his general postings, mentioned some stuff about what to expect from Durango/Orbis

Isn't the bit in bold completely reliant on the game, what it's doing, etc etc? How can you predict a console will have faster frame rates? That doesn't even make sense.

Is backwards compatibility such a big deal? It wasn’t in this gen – I don’t think the PS3 was particularly hurt by it being removed, annoying as it was, and I’d forgotten that the 360 had backwards compatibility at all.

Isn't the bit in bold completely reliant on the game, what it's doing, etc etc? How can you predict a console will have faster frame rates? That doesn't even make sense.

More powerful GPU, like a GTX 670 versus a GTX 680, the rumoured TFLOP ratings for both are different, and both exceed Epic's minimum spec for UE4 (well duh, why else would Epic design such an engine, if nobody was going to have a powerful enough box to make use of it)