IGNORED

The Next Gen consoles

Major Britten

Something that annoys me about the Wii U is the lack of media functionality. I'd love to plug in my external hard disk and play all the videos on it, swipe down to carry on with playback on the gamepad while the TV is used for something else, then swipe back.

Be interesting to see what MS and Sony do with their OS and front ends. I think of the two, Sony could get away with not changing much and keeping the XMB style. It just works, though I'd appreciate automatic folders/filters like you get on the 360. Being able to run OS functions without having to quit the game is a big one, that'd be awesome.

I don't expect Sony to keep the XMB, they will surely go for something a bit different. It's been around for such a long time that to reuse it again would be undesirable. It doesn't scream new and exciting. At the time it made sense to reuse it, I'm not sure it makes sense now.

Depends on the control interface, really. Durango will obviously have a Metro New Windows 8 UI frontend with pervasive Kinect functionality, but we don't really know what Sony's doing.

Personally I think the modular motion controller they patented could be cool. It has the benefits of a traditional controller, the comfort factor of being able to play with hands apart — probably my favourite aspect of the Wiimote/Nunchuk — plus the potential for some Minority Report hand waving when it makes sense. I imagine they could design a very snazzy UI for such a device, much as the XMB was perfect for a d-pad.

So does anyone else think that this is will be the first 'proper' digital download generation?

As in we'll see 90% of games being available for download on day one. How many people here will be going digital only if they can?

I've spend about two hours reading most of this thread and it was one of the most depressing things I've done in a long, lone time. Here were are, a bunch of relatively intelligent video game aficionados in a thread about the potential wonders of the coming generation of gaming, and all I got to read was a load of wank about screen resolutions, specs, SKUs, grannies who can't see the difference between SD and HD, and some old shite about how retarded waggle controls were.

Can we get back to actually discussing fun and exciting stuff, please?

I'm not always on the same page with you but when I am, I am on the same fucking page with you.

...Or something like that. Anyway, YOU ARE RIGHT RLLMUK IS WRONG.

Can we get back to actually discussing fun and exciting stuff, please?

Fair enough, but aren't the potential specs (and thus how beastly our shiny new machines are going to be) part of the excitement? How good are our awesome amazing next-gen games going to look? Point taken about the grannies and the waggle though!

All I know is that graphically, gaming has looked pretty much identical these last two gens, and that the prettiest games were the prettiest because they had the prettiest art style and not because their millions of polygons were being shat out by some pc the size of my ego.

The sooner people stop fuzzing about specs, the better. Retina, 4k, 1080p, who truly gives a fuck? The image will look sharp 'n shit, we fucking get it.

I'm more interested in how the next gen will make shooting aliens in the cunt more exciting. Having to buy a new telly or a console that costs 600 bucks won't cut it.

Fuck you man! 4K is to 1080p what HD was to SD! Games will be even better because of it ! Don't be such a Negative Nancy. Go upgrade.

Graphics have approached a wall, the sooner we realize this, the better.

And this is where I'm not on the same page. :lol:

Graphics will continue to improve, just not at the rate of previous generations. In 10 years time though I think we'll look back at the likes of Gears and Uncharted and think "remember those rudimentary visuals? Hahaha"

Well maybe not really but we'll have seen a significant jump from this gen to the next.

So does anyone else think that this is will be the first 'proper' digital download generation?

As in we'll see 90% of games being available for download on day one. How many people here will be going digital only if they can?

Sony will almost certainly make day one digital versions part of the submission process, just like Vita. AFAIK every retail title has been on PSN the same day as the retail street date (for the EU at least).

quite a lot of people are also a bit thick

So let me get this straight, the previous 7 or 8 generations everyone who said they couldn't see games looking better were wrong but suddenly on the 9th attempt this is as good as it gets and there isn't any possible way anything could look better?

Yeah.

The Star Wars game and Watch Dogs look great, and seem a step up, and indeed there will be stuff far in advance of it.

But notice how I used the term AAA in the sentence you omitted - unless publishers can create content looking like this with similar sized teams to this gen, games looking that good will be less common, and in general we'll see games not very far off what we have now.

So let me get this straight, the previous 7 or 8 generations everyone who said they couldn't see games looking better were wrong but suddenly on the 9th attempt this is as good as it gets and there isn't any possible way anything could look better?

Yeah.

The bottle neck is always cost and what you can afford to create - and graphics are very expensive. We've seen a fair few companies close in the last few years and many are gambling with their future each time they set out on a new 'big' AAA project. We have to hit a brick wall some time?

Edit: Although tying into my previous question, could DD actually save developers and publishers? Especially if they can keep the prices high and get significantly increased margins as retail becomes a less important part of the equation?

The jump from SD to HD was pretty significant

Pretending that the biggest change this gen was the resolution is absurd. I've spent most of this gen playing games in SD. They look much better, HD or no.

I often think of a quote from a dev for Tomb Raider Underworld in one of the dev diaries.

He says something like this is the first gen where devs have so much power than can pretty much create anything they can imagine. If you could picture it in your minds eye, you had enough power to render it properly and with an excellent level of fidelity.

Of course graphics are going to be better. Just over the course of a generation, you'll see massive amounts of improvement. It's just a question of how much and will it be noticeable. I think 4K is too much to ask, especially since 1080p isn't the standard, let alone 60fps.

then please explain why shadows of the colossus still looks fucking amazing even though thats playable on tech that i can make with cutlery and oh while you are at it please explain why mario galaxy still looks better than most games that are coming out now including stuff on the wii u

That's art style, not graphics.

quite a lot of people are also a bit thick

He who forgets history will live to repeat it.

I've heard this shit continually since I've been involved in gaming, going back 20 years. Yadda yadda.

Must I repeat myself - we had loads of Cassandras before this gen started saying it would be a pointless disaster, we didn't need the new hardware, games would just look a touch shinier etc.

You guys really need to give it a rest because you've been consistently wrong.

We will see stuff next gen that will blow our minds. We'll see people creating worlds we've never seen.

You wanna bust out the original Halo right now and compare it to Halo Reach or Halo 4?

Please. Let's not be silly.

You only have to look at the evolution of video game graphics in the past ten year to see that this is blatantly not true. I'm willing to bet good money that Gears will still look quite lovely 10 years from now, even compared to modern games of that time. And don't get me started on games like Wind Waker.

With every generation you'll have some people that come forward and say that "We've hit a wall as far as graphics go, this is about as good as it gets". Then new hardware arrives and...

741831hldtsuo02a.gif

Of course graphics are going to be better. Just over the course of a generation, you'll see massive amounts of improvement. It's just a question of how much and will it be noticeable. I think 4K is too much to ask, especially since 1080p isn't the standard, let alone 60fps.

It won't be noticable if you focus on silly stuff like resolution.

What will be the noticable is the staggering visuals which will make Halo 4 look like Halo 2.

Look at that Samaritan tech demo. Or the Agni one. Or imagine something like waaaaay more impressive than the fairly stunning Star Wars 1313 (whatever it's called).

We're talking about polys, particles and physics here. And they will look even better even if you're still playing on an SD CRT. As a lot of people still are!

Thanks for proving my point that gaming should be focusing on improving the artistic side instead of the technical side, though :)

It is not a zero sum game. Your attitude is nonsensical.

In fact, you can already see it today. Run Skyrim on the 360 (or even worse, PS3) and compare it to Skyrim running on a high end PC with all juicy mods on. The difference is absolutely staggering.

Last gen people said Resident Evil 4 was so pretty, it would probably never be bettered. Not only is it considered to be looking 'pretty rough' now, but the gameworld is so static that it becomes ridiculous. You can't even shoot a candle holder of a closet with a rocket launcher. This has massively improved over this gen, and it will go even further next gen.

There will be no wall until we reach graphics with the richness and fidelity of something like Avatar where everything is destructible like that Matrix lobby scene. We're slowly getting there, but we still have a long, long way to go. And until we get there, everybody saying that we've reached max potential is, well, wrong.

I'm not silly, especially considering the original Halo was at the beginning of the previous gen and Halo 4 came out at the end of this one. Halo 4 looks a LOT better, of course, but considering all the time in between those two games, the difference is not as big as, say, Mario World and Mario 64.

Lord above, that's because we haven't moved from 2D to 3D, have we? That's obviously never going to happen again so why make that comparison?

Like I said, you lot have been playing stuck record for a long time. I presume you won't be buying the new consoles, right?