The Next Gen consoles

Major Britten

I bet Naughty Dog is working on Unchartened 4 as we speak.

If you go by the historical precedent, Sony dev studios with long running IP usually ditch them and launch brand new IP for the start of a new generation:

Insomniac (were effectively first party at the time) went from Spyro to Ratchet to Resistance

Naughty Dog went from Crash to Jak & Daxter to Uncharted

Sucker Punch went from Sly Cooper to Infamous

Evolution went from WRC to MotorStorm

I wouldn't be surprised if they drop some of those series from frontline rotation, legacy isn't a sacred cow which will never be sacrificed

There is some overlap though, so with The Last of Us coming out on PS3 they could feasibly make Uncharted 4 next (probably room for one more) then either carry on with The Last of Us or build on that tech.

Also aren't they bringing back Sly Cooper? So they're not necessarily ditched.

Neither Naughty Dog nor Sony actually owned Crash Bandicoot, so abandoning it to do other projects wasn't necessarily a decision born out of console generations. Imsomniac have been knocking out Ratchet games alongside Resistence, so clearly they have multiple teams doing different things much like Naughty Dog have now. IIRC Last of US is by the Uncharted 2 team and Uncharted 3 used a different team. Maybe they are working on Uncharted 4, maybe they've become bored of it and are working on something fresh.

Is it not just a case of a studio knowing they have done enough on an IP to want to do something fresh rather than waste their lives working on increasingly repetitive formulas?

Also aren't they bringing back Sly Cooper? So they're not necessarily ditched.

A demo just went up, it's out in March i think.

Most of their commercially successful series did continue, but not developed by the series creator usually. Will Killzone continue on? possibly, they don't have another FPS series to take its place and you need an exclusive series in that genre to be competitive against Microsoft and GT is obviously going nowhere, but Japanese developers do like to iterate on success until the market tells them no more please.

I'd expect Media Molecule to be working on something new, it's part of their sales pitch afterall.

And I thought after the amount of moaning about UC3, nobody would give a fuck about another one anyway?. TLOU takes it to the next level anyway.

There's talk that Media Molecule are actually involved with the Orbis OS. If true, I think that's great, as one thing the XMB lacked was a bit of personality. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very slick looking UI for a piece of consumer electronics, but it looks very dry when compared to the Metro UI and Wii U's Miiverse.

Not that I'm condoning a UI full of little sack people, but I trust Media Molecule to bring something genuinely fresh to the OS interface.

Do they? whatever it is and where ever it ends up, they call it a 'toy':

"We're working on a second project right now, and that's very much in an R&D phase," confirmed Media Molecule's Mark Healy.

"The focus is Tearaway, but Media Molecule is a lot more than 15 people," added co-founder Alex Evans.

"We call it in a holding pattern," he said on the unannounced project, "because the focus is on Tearaway. I'm not saying that from a press angle - our focus is on Tearaway and making it awesome. The other project is very much in an early stage and is a toy. You don't need to worry about it."

Microsoft really need someone with an ounce of sense to organise their upcoming UI.

While attempting to see what games were currently reduced on Live the other day on my 360, I went Games>Recently Reduced > Under 400 Points > clicked on .. something?.. and BAM! Booby prize!

Its was fucking Avatar item and now I had to wait to load and wait to exit the slowest, most intrusive Avatar editor ever hammered together.

The word for the editor is abysmal.

The word for the clowns who thought wedging Avatar items under "Games", thinking anyone would go "Oh, alright then Ill buy it" after being made to wait a million years to load a fucking wardrobe, is mistaken.

It's going to be Windows 8 Metro. The UI and all the apps already exist, dudes. There are even fullscreen apps for avatar shit, friends list etc. It makes absolutely no sense to build yet another ecosystem and identity for a new device and ignore the opportunity to get all the Xbox 720 buyers into your existing fledgling ecosystem and onto your services. For MS it's a match made in heaven, users on one side and an ecosystem on the other. They're probably desperate to get more users into the app marketplace. When I speak to MS guys in other areas of their business, they're all-in with this stuff. They want every MS device and product to have the same branding, use the same services etc. It's plastered all over all of their internal documents and customer-facing material, it has been for a couple of years now.

Windows-8-Xbox-Games.png

Xbox-Video-app-of-Windows-8.png

xbox-music.jpg

FWIW the Xbox stuff on Windows 8 is much snappier and more attractive than the rubbish existing Xbox dashboard. It's still just a hideous load of large tiles advertising utter crap, but hey ho.

I should elaborate on that: Xbox running Windows 8 would be the console taking a knock to leg up an OS nobody cares about. It's a bad idea.

They'd be mad to do anything else though. From their point of view, the Xbox is absolutely crucial to that ecosystem. It's not the OS they're bothered with, it's the ecosystem.

There is a Youtube app incidentally, it's pretty much what you'd expect. I'm sure they're working now to make sure all the Xbox 360 apps are ported to the new ecosystem in time for launch, though as usual they'll be a lot more interested in the US than the UK.

Look at it from their point of view, you've got a fully working, sparsely populated ecosystem that you're desperate to get off the ground, and you've got a more or less guaranteed to sell product launch coming up, a product for which you need an ecosystem, a load of apps, a UI, not to mention to recognisable brand identity. I imagine due to the differences in control from a mouse/touchscreen/kinect/controller people will have to get their apps approved for specific devices/storefronts rather than the Xbox store being identical to the Windows 8 one. It's not the worst idea, if all the Xbox users get lumped into the ecosystem you've got a larger userbase than either group by itself. Should mean you're more likely to get more good apps, right? Microsoft don't have the luxury of operating all this stuff separately any more. They've spent years pissing about with different products, logins and services and they've spent the last couple of years reigning everything in and smooshing it all together. The Xbox 3 is a massive part of that. It's the only dead-cert they've got.

Google aren't making any apps for Windows 8 at the moment, they might change their tune for the nextbox though. Google Play rentals are Youtube powered after all, so there's probably some money to be made there if they can get people buying things from their PC and loading them up on their Xbox. No in-app purchases I wouldn't have thought. But yeah, there's at least one decent third party app, I've got one installed which gets the job done.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm saying MS would be mad to miss the opportunity. I mean, you can tell how important Xbox is to their strategy, they've renamed half their entertainment services 'Xbox'!

They might separate it out enough that there are separate stores for each device, with some apps being the same on both but others being only available on one or the other, I don't know. But I'm sure it'll be very recognisable to anyone who has seen Windows 8 Metro.

On the subject of iPhone/iPad style yearly updates, there's already sort of a precedent for that with the original 360, the Elite, the 360 S, etc.

I know people who've owned each one and not because of hardware failure.

And with the 3DS XL, PS3 Slim/Super Slim and various different hard drive sizes it's not too far away, especially when there are those who trade in their old one to get the new like going from 3GS to 4S or 4 to 5.

I think i might be moving across to just a PS4 this upcoming gen, nothing MS are doing gives me any confidence. Underspecced..hdmi input..media crap, intrusive ads, windows 8, DDR 3. If the PS4 has a decent controller, that finalises it.

If the Xbox 720 is indeed running Windows 8 as its OS, with all the disadvantages that brings, I might do the same. It would nullify all the advantages consoles have over PCs in terms of optimizing games for a far better performance than you would get out of a similarly specced PC. In that case the Xbox 720 would really be nothing more than an underpowered PC, and even with similar specs you should eventually see a far bigger difference in performance and visuals between the 720 and the PS4 than we saw this gen between the 360 and the PS3. If Microsoft really goes down the Windows 8 shoved into a tiny box route for the Xbox 720, there is no reason* whatsoever in picking one up if you've already got a decent PC right now, since it wouldn't have the advantages you usually associate with consoles. That would make the PS4 the logical choice for us hobbyist gamers in the upcoming gen, and that is even without taking the rumoured superior specs of the PS4 into account.

We shall see what happens, interesting times indeed.

*of course Alan Wake 2 could be a 720 exclusive, with no PC version in sight - damn you Microsoft for forcing me to buy your underpowered Windows 8 media player!

Edit: I'd forgotten that I don't take Xbox Live into account because I don't really care about multiplayer, or at least I can just as easily do that on the PS4 or Steam. For the fanatical Johnny McCallofduties among us, it might be a different story if they simply go wherever their 'clan' (is that what the kids call it nowadays) goes.

If the Xbox 720 is indeed running Windows 8 as its OS, with all the disadvantages that brings, I might do the same. It would nullify all the advantages consoles have over PCs in terms of optimizing games for a far better performance than you would get out of a similarly specced PC. If Microsoft really goes down the Windows 8 shoved into a tiny box route for the Xbox 720, there is no reason* whatsoever in picking one up if you've already got a decent PC right now, since it wouldn't have the advantages you usually associate with consoles.

How so? The disadvantages of not being able to code to the silicon on PC are due to the huge range of different parts and OEMs and configurations, not that PCs have an OS.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm saying MS would be mad to miss the opportunity.

Right, and I'm saying they'd be nuts to take it, although by all accounts that's what they're doing with every product they have: trying to boil them all down to the same interface and the same store. It's just disastrously wrong-headed.

How so? The disadvantages of not being able to code to the silicon on PC are due to the huge range of different parts and OEMs and configurations, not that PCs have an OS.

I was going by what the Nvidia guys said earlier in the thread.

Didn't do the Dreamcast any damage having windows CE... Oh.

Well, to be fair it didn't do any damage, did it? It just didn't give any advantage either. Hm.

Just got to hope Sony make a decent controller this time.

I'd have switched to my PS3 permanently ( PS Plus, etc ) if the controller was anything like the 360 as its a far superior system.

In fact if MS cripple the 720 then I'm more likely to buy a decent PC to go under my tv, embrace Steam & hang onto my 360 controller than pick up either console.