The Next Gen consoles

Major Britten

I wouldn't mind a Dual Shock 4. Playstation controllers are fine.

By contrast I'd like to say that the Dual Shock needs retiring and that Sony should rip the fuck off the Xbox design or AT LEAST move those damn twin sticks to different positions.

Speaking for myself. I primarily use Xbox Live as a kind of phone service to keep in touch with people around the country, occassionally we play games too. It's the same people I've been playing against since the early days of Live and simply because of that I think we'd probably naturally migrate to the next xbox without hesitation. Unless they do a Sony and release a machine 2 years+ before they have any games worth a fuck.

I wouldn't mind a Dual Shock 4. Playstation controllers are fine.

Complete non argument.

Having something that "works" or is "fine" isn't moving on, isn't getting better, isn't evolving.*

Nintendo didn't look at the NES controller, which was brilliant -not merely fine- at just left it. They moved on to the SNES which was brilliant at THAT time. Then the N64 which also was brilliant in its generation.

If companies stuck with "if it aint broke, don't fix it" we would not have had analogue sticks. Shoulder buttons. Rumble features. Wireless pads.

*and its not fucking fine, its horrific in comparison to its main rival- which on a company level is a Bad Thing.

Complete non argument.

Having something that "works" or is "fine" isn't moving on, isn't getting better, isn't evolving.*

Nintendo didn't look at the NES controller, which was brilliant -not merely fine- at just left it. They moved on to the SNES which was brilliant at THAT time. Then the N64 which also was brilliant in its generation.

If companies stuck with "if it aint broke, don't fix it" we would not have had analogue sticks. Shoulder buttons. Rumble features. Wireless pads.

*and its not fucking fine, its horrific in comparison to its main rival- which on a company level is a Bad Thing.

I agree that progress is a good thing (although your Nintendo argument is a bit flawed as I thought the GC controller wasn't very good and motion controls has been the worst thing to happen to gaming in the past 20 years), but I don't get the Dualshock hate. I think it's a decent controller.

When I hold a well designed controller and get absorbed in the game, I don't even realise it's there anymore. It's just muscle memory at work. The 360 and PS3 controllers both do this. When a controller is 'off' because you keep hitting the wrong buttons or have to check which button is which or where it is (like the GC controller with its weird Z and X and Y buttons) or doesn't work at all (the Wii remote), you become conscious of it, and that's a Bad Thing.

Thats true, it can certainly go too far -or in the wrong direction as IMO the Wii U has- but it can still be bettered.

I haven't used a Sony Pro controller yet to be fair so if its sorted the deadzone issue -one of the worst issues I had with the PS3 pad- that's certainly a help.

But they still need to evolve it much more than they did in previous generations-

Xbox to Controller S to 360 to ? is an equation that could make any person developing the Sony pad shit in their pants.

I was going by what the Nvidia guys said earlier in the thread.

He was only talking about the ability for first-party devs to come up with stuff that uniquely pushed the hardware, not general development. I think people are pushing for a narrative here and changing the facts to fit.

I mean, Gerbik you're a PC gamer die-hard, I shouldn't have to explain to you that the performance hit doesn't come from the OS.

I agree that progress is a good thing (although your Nintendo argument is a bit flawed as I thought the GC controller wasn't very good and motion controls has been the worst thing to happen to gaming in the past 20 years), but I don't get the Dualshock hate. I think it's a decent controller.

When I hold a well designed controller and get absorbed in the game, I don't even realise it's there anymore. It's just muscle memory at work. The 360 and PS3 controllers both do this. When a controller is 'off' because you keep hitting the wrong buttons or have to check which button is which or where it is (like the GC controller with its weird Z and X and Y buttons) or doesn't work at all (the Wii remote), you become conscious of it, and that's a Bad Thing.

I like the controllers but don't confuse you being used to them to great design. People coming into gaming prefer the Wiimote and I know plenty of people who hate the 360 controller.

The 360 dpad really is awful. I know it's secondary for the majority of games, but I still don't understand how it came to be so awful. Didn't someone give it a wee try before finalizing the design? That said, Nintendo's dpads have been awful lately too; the gamecube and wii dpads have been too small and the 3ds one doesn't pick up diagonal inputs as well as the snes pad used to.

The future of videogames next gen is basically me getting a wee bit annoyed when I can't do a hurricane kick in yet another version of Street Fighter 2.

Well hopefully MS will have the sense to revise it. If they do so the pad would be essentially perfect.

They have tried to revise it a couple of times this gen with little to no improvement. Seems a good d-pad is a hell of a lot trickier to get right than it should be.

The Vita one is pretty good.

Were you exclusively a console gamer before you got a pc? Did you grow up with other computers like the speccy and the amiga?

Started with C64 way back when. Then I got a NES and went from new console to new console as they appeared. Fun fact: the Wii U is the first Nintendo console I didn't buy on day one since the SNES, but judging from their line-up of upcoming games I'll pick one up eventually. I did get a laptop around 2001 for my studies and writing, but it wasn't really suited for gaming even though I did manage to get Thief 1 and 2 and Outcast running on it. Those games, along with a few choice RPGs already made me realize way back then that there were awesome exclusives I was totally missing out on. I eventually got a proper gaming PC to play The Witcher series as the office PC that I got after my laptop died wasn't up to running even the first game on low settings. Then I discovered Steam and GOG, the cheap prices, the improved user-friendliness and the 360 controller becoming the default PC joypad - together with the current long-ass generation meant a perfect storm which made me switch to PC as my current main gaming platform.

So, even though I have big mouth and like to repeatedly voice my enthusiasm over the current awesomeness of all things related to PC gaming, people like Nap (who only relatively recently joined us in the Steam thread) and even - ironically - Boozy have way more experience with PC gaming than me, and can be considered 'true' PC gamers more than I ever could.

Anyway, next-gen consoles, eh? Phwoar and all that!

Control pads are a personal preference.

I currently have a Dual Shock 2 going into my 360. The shoulder buttons are wank on the 360 pad, if you want full control over them you need to put your middle fingers on the triggers and the fore fingers on the bumpers, which feels all wrong.

You don't see Fender redesigning the Stratocaster every fucking 5 years. There is a point where perfection is attained due to the user preference. I actually wish you didn't get a controller with a console, and that you had to pick your own preference from a set of third party manufacturers, of course, all third party controllers have always been shite - I'm just thinking about things in a parallel universe where they're not.

Yep, Nintendo did it for their pro-controller and I think its great that they did. Sony should shamelessly do the same, it's the right thing to do.

It's too bad they excluded the analogue triggers.

Oh wait, I like the DS2... errr...

I'd say the original Dual Shock is probably the archetypal modern gamepad, which triggers and stick placement aside is what everyone bases their pads off today. But it's not perfect.

Never seen the issue with stick placement (it keeps the D-pad functional) but stuff like the quality of the sticks and triggers and size of the pad are better on 360.

v5keymain2.pngWheel%20Mouse%20Optical.jpg

trollface.jpg

Joke or not, the idea that an input device not even designed with gaming in mind could be close (or even the closest yet) to perfection is ridiculous.

Maybe an autistic idea of perfection, what with being able to map every single function on to a separate key and having maximum possible precision in aiming. Of course for most things outside of FPS's, some TPS's and strategy games, a KB/M is horrible to play with. Even with the genres it's suited to though, it has its downsides. The error is to assume that the more accurate control input is always necessarily the best, but there are plenty of other factors to consider. Being able to spin your character's body around in an instant as you can typically do with a KB/M FPS is certainly not superior from an immersion point of view. You only have to play (or even just watch) someone playing Halo on PC and compare it with how the Xbox version feels: the faster turning circle makes the movement in the PC game look unnatural in comparison, changing the feel of the game dramatically.

Joke or not, the idea that an input device not even designed with gaming in mind could be close (or even the closest yet) to perfection is ridiculous.

Maybe an autistic idea of perfection, what with being able to map every single function on to a separate key and having maximum possible precision in aiming. Of course for most things outside of FPS's, some TPS's and strategy games, a KB/M is horrible to play with. Even with the genres it's suited to though, it has its downsides. The error is to assume that the more accurate control input is always necessarily the best, but there are plenty of other factors to consider. Being able to spin your character's body around in an instant as you can typically do with a KB/M FPS is certainly not superior from an immersion point of view. You only have to play (or even just watch) someone playing Halo on PC and compare it with how the Xbox version feels: the faster turning circle makes the movement in the PC game look unnatural in comparison, changing the feel of the game dramatically.

The simple fact that KB&M is entirely unusable anywhere but on a desk rather renders it useless as a control system for anyone who likes gaming in front of the TV. It's a massive limiting factor to PC gaming's reach which is why Valve are investing so heavily into controller-driven PC gaming.