The Next Gen consoles

Major Britten

LOL, I'd like to live in the universe where the Dual Shock has achieved perfection, because it ain't this one.

The placement of the sticks is awful. Sony's refusal to change what any ergonomic expert could tell you is a sub-optimal design is baffling to me.

Let's not get started on those shoulder pads either.

I'm not convinced an ergonomic expert would agree with you. The more I use the 360 controller, the more I feel that it's the one with the crap stick placement. Still, given how divisive this seems to be, it makes you wonder why Microsoft hasn't tried releasing a controller with the sticks swapped. I'm not sure the Dual Shock ergonomics would hold up to a similar swap.

It was a joke, yeah, nothing's perfect. We should always be pushing things forward, experimenting and evolving gaming controls.

Everyone has their own preference and what they use for each genre of game. I personally think the snes pad is the best we've done so far for 2d platformers so that's what I use. I think my hori ex-se is perfect for shmups so I use that.

I love mouse and keyboard for lots of different games but if someone released a new controller tomorrow and said "throw out your mouse and keyboard, you have to try this, it's amazing", I'd be really excited to try it. That's why I'm always so shocked when people say "the 360 controller is perfect, if it ain't broke don't fix it, they should just stick with that, maybe fix the d-pad" Really?

Really excited to see what valve come up with in way of game controllers.

I think whatever comes out of Valve's controller project will probably include an OS-level mouse and keyboard emulator, possibly with an on-pad track pad for mouse control a la the Ouya pad. That way the minority of pad-supporting games that need mouse and keyboard for something will be compatible.

I've been playing on PS3 using a wireless 360 controller via a Cronus adapter. Seems lag-free from what I can tell.

I can't believe this is a thing!

So it works with no problems at all, triggers ok, online, local co-op with a second PS3 controller?

I'll be ordering one on payday if so. :)

it makes you wonder why Microsoft hasn't tried releasing a controller with the sticks swapped.

No, no - it makes YOU wonder that. The rest of us know why - because it's a very good design, a proven design that's very popular. It's Sony who need to shift away from a design they've had since the PS1.

Apart from the relatively fucktarded positioning, the DS3 sticks are weird and floaty.

The actual sticks on duel shocks are horrid to use, and develop dead zones / centre wiggle making them even worse. Plus the ergonomics of the pad in general are nothing compared to the 360 pad. The shoulder buttons are nasty. Please, Sony, please do something fresh this new generation.

I'd heard a lot of complaining about the 360's d-pad before I finally got to use it. I expected it to be bad for Street Fighter, a bit wobbly or something like that. I had no idea it would regularly ignore my commands and go in the wrong direction.

I've been a fan of SF since the SF2 series in the arcade but with the home conversions I've played pretty much exclusively on a pad - even before you cover the need to use shoulder and face buttons, the d-pad on the 360 controller is pretty much hopeless, making simple quarter-circle rotations more difficult than they need to be. The problem is that there's no real depth and it can be hard to tell where your thumbs are going - in SF, you need to instinctively perform certain inputs quickly and accurately, so it's quite a drawback. In contrast, the floaty d-pad of the MadCatz Fightpad lets you feel rotations under your thumb without having to think too much - the plastic disc has more depth and so you can easily tell which direction is being pushed. If they can just work on testing a d-pad which instills a similar sense of confidence, they could end up with a decent controller. :)

I don't think I've missed any, I've had a speccy 48k, speccy 128k, vectrex, sam coupe, nes, lynx, gameboy, gameboy colour, gameboy advance, gameboy advance sp, ds lite, snes, amiga 500+, nintendo 64, gamecube, ps1, ps2, xbox, xbox 360, and 3 different fresh pc builds

No zx81 or vic20?

A bit like your registration of the clipper name, johnny come lately ;)

It was all about the dragon 32 - huge, brown, analogue joysticks, microsoft OS. Basically the Xbox 360 mark 1, but welsh, and with a logo that looked a bit like a swastika

All the first party games were even barely concealed copies of Nintendo games

It's donkey kong clone was shameless :)

I genuinely don't see the beef with the Dual Shock sticks. I think they do the job just fine.

The Dual Shock has appalling shoulder buttons, the 360 has an appalling D-pad. Swings and roundabouts.

Also, this shit is complete minutiae compared to the overall picture. There's things much more seriously wrong with both platforms than stick placement on the pads.

They were before my time, granddad :D I was alive, but I was still shitting myself and being spoon fed. That's right boys and girls, I was a console gamer!

Back of the net.

You ain't no serious gamer sonny... :D

If you ain't played chess in 1k , you just weren't there man!

I genuinely don't see the beef with the Dual Shock sticks. I think they do the job just fine.

The Dual Shock has appalling shoulder buttons, the 360 has an appalling D-pad. Swings and roundabouts.

Also, this shit is complete minutiae compared to the overall picture. There's things much more seriously wrong with both platforms than stick placement on the pads.

The position Sony have the sticks in causes intense pain in my thumb tendons after prolonged use. The curvature of the stems doesn't match the ergonomics of my hand's grip. Including other factors, it contributed to me skipping the machine entirely.

No, no - it makes YOU wonder that. The rest of us know why - because it's a very good design, a proven design that's very popular. It's Sony who need to shift away from a design they've had since the PS1.

Apart from the relatively fucktarded positioning, the DS3 sticks are weird and floaty.

Haha. Right. The Dual Shock is also a proven design that's very popular. You can't single me out for my opinion when your position isn't exactly the majority view either. Both controllers have their fans and haters.

That said, there's clearly room for improvement in both. The Wii U Pro Controller feels really nice to hold, although I've not had a chance to see how it stands up to a long session yet.

The dual shock sticks are obviously terrible in placement, but the dead zone is programmed in software deliberately. Im stunned people can play games like COD on the PS3 purely with that as the input method. Theyre so spongey and imprecise, but like 45% of the COD sales are on that platform. Blows my mind.

If the orbis is brilliant and has this lame duck as the input method i'll be amazed, and for fucks sake someone tell sony...dont have the analogues at the same height, next to each other.

The 360 pad stick positions feel odd compared to me...

We'll have to feel you in Bath for us to make that comparison Scott.

I've been replaying Majora's Mask on the GC, and it's odd how close the two controllers feel. If more games could have taken advantage of the weird buttons on the GC controller, that would have been the best, but I'll guess weve lost that route now.

The GC pad was fraught with problems, the C stick was like a nipple, the d-pad teeny tiny and useless, the Z button stiff and awkward to use, and the analogues had an awful clunk-click when you full depressed them. It did have the brilliant 8 way notches on the analogue stick though so you could hit directions pefectly...why has no one copied that..patent?

The keyboard attachment should have been part of the thing by default.

This is sheer madness.

The 360 pad stick positions feel odd compared to the dual shock for me...

I'm petfectly happy with the Dual Shock's stick positions just as I am with those of the Wii U's Pro Controller but I will never get on with the 360's. Symmetry is key. The 360 sticks are not twin sticks, they're argumentative cousins sticks. Never will I understand how you and I are in the minority on this matter.

God help me if the other two ever give into these loud voices and go Microsoft's asymmetrical way.

I like the HEFT of the 360 pad with the keyboard on it.

The GameCube button layout, A, B, X and Y was brilliant. It was so obvious what each button meant. The c-stick was too wee though. The triggers were ace but too spongy for an FPS.

The pro controller for the WiiU is a belter. It combines the best of all 3 controllers. Big sticks in the right place from the DS. Shape from the 360 and d-pad and buttons from the classic controller from Wii.

If only I could use the bastarding thing in NSMBU

The pro controller for the WiiU is a belter. It combines the best of all 3 controllers. Big sticks in the right place from the DS. Shape from the 360 and d-pad and buttons from the classic controller from Wii.

Shame the pro controller DON'T DO ANALOG TRIGGERS.