IGNORED

The Next Gen consoles

Major Britten

I was totally agreeing with you. I'd forgotten that Quake semi-predated mouse controls in FPS, and that explains the auto aim perfectly. I'm sorry if that came across as sarcastic.

Or should that be "I'm sorry if that came across as sarcastic"? ;)

Hasn't Nintendo already come up with a superior option to the twinstick for a lot of the popular console genres anyway? tweak it a bit, job done, Nintendo fans used to keep on talking it up as the superior option, though I always felt like I was suffering from Alzheimer's when I used the pointer, needed some autosteadying.

DlFaOnl.jpg

I think sticks are the best we have right now for what we have, in essence movement through a 3D space on a 2D plane. The big thing with sticks is they're very comfortable and familiar and don't need much effort. You just push and it does something. That's all you need. We shouldn't be fighting controls whilst sat on a sofa playing a game on our big TV screens. For me, things like Metroid Prime 3 worked brilliantly with the pointer controls, and I was actually a better shot with the pointer than with a second stick, but I wouldn't advocate that as the de facto control method for couch based FPS shenanigans as it took effort! And that's not what most people want when sitting down to relax and blow off some steam. You just want something that does something else with the minimum of fuss and twin sticks provides that.

When displays move on, controls will move on, but until then, the twin stick device is, IMO, the best solution to the problem.

Hasn't Nintendo already come up with a superior option to the twinstick for a lot of the popular console genres anyway? tweak it a bit, job done, Nintendo fans used to keep on talking it up as the superior option, though I always felt like I was suffering from Alzheimer's when I used the pointer, needed some autosteadying.

DlFaOnl.jpg

Blops on Wii controls brilliantly with the pointer.

Keyboard and mouse is superior for that type of game, that's my point, we need a control pad to be more like that.

Nah, it's that no-one outside of CS 1.6 players considers shooters a niche challenge based genre anymore.

They're big casual blockbuster titles with set-pieces that happen around the player, and people realised you don't need to make an insanely skill-based twitch game for people to get a few sessions of explosions and catharsis. Just like you can have platformers other than Super Meat Boy. Autoaim makes sense in that context, because challenge isn't really the crux, but a mild mix of challenge, spectacle and the warmed over right wing nutbaggery that passes for plot.

Nah, it's that no-one outside of CS 1.6 players considers shooters a niche challenge based genre anymore.

They're big casual blockbuster titles with set-pieces that happen around the player, and people realised you don't need to make an insanely skill-based twitch game for people to get a few sessions of explosions and catharsis. Just like you can have platformers other than Super Meat Boy. Autoaim makes sense in that context, because challenge isn't really the crux, but a mild mix of challenge, spectacle and the warmed over right wing nutbaggery that passes for plot.

Yes, that's every FPS made these days, isn't it? Sometimes you're silly reductionist arguments are quite ridiculous.

The next thing that will improve on dual sticks will be a pointing/looking device. Not a fucking mouse or trackball. Shut up already. Jesus.

I concur.

And you know what? Who cares if there is an element of auto aim? If I am enhoying the game then I don't give a monkeys.

Clippa, seriously. Perhaps you should rewatch the Carmack clip. He specifically says 'pro' players. Again, accuracy doesn't equal superior. AND he's using it as a bloody analogy for head tracking.

I'm not even denying that kb/m is better for some games, just your standard, 'I'm right, fuck anyone else's informed opinion' bullshit is tiring especially when you flood every topic with it. We all know you want 23598467239058469dpi trackballs and adjustable FOV. Fuck I think people who don't even read RLLMUK know this. It's just inanely boring (and usually) so subjective, you just end repeating the same old bollocks that not one person gives a fuck about.

And thank fuck for that. In the meantime we've had shooters that are far more complex than any of those older "challenge based" games, not to mention a great deal more aesthetically stimulating and immersive.

I really don't mean to be a cunt about it, sorry, it's just a little exasperating when nobody is taking you seriously or just assuming that you're trolling. Everyone takes me seriously when I make joke posts and doesn't when I'm being serious

Hey man. I take you seriously. The thing is just that after some time your points stick in the head. You know them and remember them and then when it's repeated A LOT you go deaf and it turns into noise. So it get's annoying even though it's good points.

The thing is, if you stick to repeating yourself not so often... it doesn't get so tiring :)

What if you rate comfort and ease of use as superior to accuracy?

Anyway, he wants a control system 'more like' kb&m on a console. Why it needs to be more like a keyboard I have no idea - I would say there are very few games on the PS3 or 360 that have suffered due to not enough buttons on the pad. That just leaves the accuracy of the mouse - on consoles the controls are usually designed with the pad in mind so I would have thought it isn't a major issue. Cross platform gaming would highlight differences though.

Realistically then, what are potential options for a more accurate handheld controller for a console that doesn't need to rest on a surface?

What. The. Very. Fuck.

You lot are eeeeejits. Everything is black and white like that? Do you think every pc fps is blistering paced with a ludicrously high skill ceiling and is only played by cyborgs.

Seriously, I'm out, discuss this amongst yourselves, it'll make more sense if there's no voice of reason here.

Not sure how he got all that from my post, but either way, job done.

I'm sure he'll be back once the new controllers are unveiled though, bemoaning the lack of those balls he's so fond of.

There's nothing difficult about using kb+m for a game, at all. You can say that comfort is more important, but 'technically' being able to kill your opponent with far greater accuracy and speed would be the superior method of dispatch, no?