The Next Gen consoles

Major Britten

Watching you lot lay into clippa is, frankly, embarrassing. You should be ashamed. Jesus fucking Christ.

There is a small group of loud people who really can't stand him for some reason. And want us all to know it. Ridiculous.

The same kind of folk who have forced any discussion of anything PC into a ghettoised thread :(

There is a small group of loud people who really can't stand him for some reason. And want us all to know it. Ridiculous.

The same kind of folk who have forced any discussion of anything PC into a ghettoised thread :(

flingueur-1972-03-g.jpg

"good"

Hmm I wonder why that is. Maybe it's because if you disagree with him 3 times in a row he starts stroking out and calling people cuntflaps and smooshing smilies everywhere. It's hilarious.

You know this is the next gen console thread?

Watching console gamers bickering over which control pad is best is like sitting in a fancy restaurant, looking out the window and seeing two tramps fighting over a chip.

cheerss.jpg

Whats this adding to discussion?

I think this gen is the first time I've felt like I could confidently consider the PC as an alternative. Ultimately the lack of Nintendo exclusive games will sway me away, but Steam and the recent surge in high quality indie games (with much better after care including patches and new content) as well as a decent number of multi-platform games getting well made ports (which support 360 pads) could convince me. That and endlessly tinkering with a MAME library.

People have been using it because there's not really a good term for coding to for a specific set of hardware compared to coding for a wide variety of hardware configurations, and the performance benefits you get from the first, yeah.

Not every phrase is useless inside baseball bullshit that people need to mock.

Is 'to the metal' a new phrase? I've seen it loads over the last few days.

I imagine it shares it's origin with "putting the peddle to the metal," which in driving parlance means putting your foot to the floor to get as much out of the car as you possibly can. If you do something "to the metal", it means getting the most out of something that you possibly can. At least, that's my take on it.

People have been using it because there's not really a good term for coding to for a specific set of hardware compared to coding for a wide variety of hardware configurations, and the performance benefits you get from the first, yeah.

Not every phrase is useless inside baseball bullshit that people need to mock.

It's always worth mocking when you see a multitude take it up within the space of a few days. SKU.

Is 'to the metal' a new phrase? I've seen it loads over the last few days.

No, it's an old phrase amongst coders. I disagree with APM's etymology, however; to my mind, it's always meant to write code that runs on the bare metal of the machine, rather than in higher-level languages that are easier to work with but necessarily sacrifice some performance to bring you that ease of use. Of course, slang being what it is, both explanations are probably correct

Edit -- here's the Jargon File (most of which dates back to the 80s and 90s): http://www.retrologic.com/jargon/B/bare-metal.html

No, it's an old phrase amongst coders. I disagree with APM's etymology, however; to my mind, it's always meant to write code that runs on the bare metal of the machine, rather than in higher-level languages that are easier to work with but necessarily sacrifice some performance to bring you that ease of use. Of course, slang being what it is, both explanations are probably correct

Edit -- here's the Jargon File (most of which dates back to the 80s and 90s): http://www.retrologi...bare-metal.html

By bare metal of the machine, I presume you mean Silicone. Is that a metal? ;)

Edit -- here's the Jargon File (most of which dates back to the 80s and 90s): http://www.retrologi...bare-metal.html

Yeah, surely it's referring to stripping away all the extras and getting down to the bare components, eg stripping all the paint etc off something to get back to the bare metal

I didn't realize that brogrammers had been around for so long.

Whenever a nerd was secretly jealous of a jock, the seed of a hateful brogrammer was planted.

When I first came across references to "brogramming", I thought it was a delightful, ironic parody. Turns out it's just a depressingly real thing that some people actually believe.

Here in IT infrastructure land (West of programmerville) we normally use 'metal' or 'tin' to differentiate a physical server from a VM, at least in my neck of the woods. "Get some new tin and put 8 servers on it" for example.

Smitty - in all seriousness... It's much easier to approach it by looking into Digital Electronics and logic gates first. Then you can look into how those gates work by delving into Analogue Electronics, but the later can get very maths heavy and needs you to come to terms with 'imaginary numbers'

This. I strongly recommend the book "The Art of Electronics"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/dp/0521370957/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359455370&sr=8-1

Whenever a nerd was secretly jealous of a jock, the seed of a hateful brogrammer was planted.

When I first came across references to "brogramming", I thought it was a delightful, ironic parody. Turns out it's just a depressingly real thing that some people actually believe.

I had an acquaintance in the late 90s who carried on as if he was surfing. DUDE LETS PROGRAM!! Imagine the human face behind those hacke0rz front ends. He retired at 25 or something crazy on the back of a 3D engine he wrote in his bedroom. I dunno.