The Next Gen consoles

Major Britten

Watch some footage of pc games on youtube at 720p/30fps and I reckon that'll give you your best idea of what to expect next gen.

Did you miss the coding to the metal bit, or was that another next gen thread? :lol:

untitled-2pd9fz.gif

Drool.

(In before the people who think that mashing up Uncharted and Bounty Hunter is a bad idea!)

I wonder just how long the 360 and PS3 will remain on the market. Usually the machine that 'wins' the generation lasts the longest but with the Wii U coming out first, be interesting to see how MS and Sony decide to play the overlap.

This would also make the PS3 a relatively 'short' gen in comparison to their 10 year plans etc, or will it still trundle along as the PS2 has? Wasn't it only this year that they stopped making more?

I know that PS2 was in some ways a bit of a fluke anyway but I wonder if they really will try and go first this time as well.

The 10 year plan has never been about not releasing a successor, just maintaining a place in the global market for said console. For instance China are considering lifting their ban on consoles, in which case you can bet Sony will be all too happy to address such a large potential market with the PS3's back catalogue.

The PlayStation 3 certainly has a decent selection of games due this year — GoW:A, TLoU, Beyond, Puppeteer, etc — but I would imagine Sony's studios will all be focussed on Vita and PS4 going forward. It isn't unreasonable to expect third-parties to release cross-generational titles throughout 2014, though, after which Sony will probably open up the platform more as they did with the PS2.

If the Chinese government still have all the rules and forms etc to fill in to release a game there as they did 8 years ago (last time a game I worked on was released there), it's still going to be a massive pain in the hole. Does your game criticise communism, is your game critical of the Chinese government, does your game say X about religion, etc, etc, etc - the wait 6 months to hear if they'll let you release it.

The '10 year plan' was also a bit of a swipe at Microsoft over their killing of the Xbox, that won't happen with the 360 it's a completely different situation to the original Xbox. With it they were still making a loss on each console even at that stage in its life, the hard drive and the nvidia deal were the main problems iirc.

As I've said before a few times, probably in this thread, I fully expect things like Watch Dogs and the new Star Wars games to be released on both current and next gen platforms. You get to show off the new shiney tech and get the early adopters but still have the install base of the 360 & PS3 so it still has a chance of making money.

Certainly everyone seems to be building engines to target both. So I'd expect more of a gradual transition to next gen than games suddenly vanishing from the current one.

I'd say AC3 and Far Cry 3 were both next-gen engines cut down to the bone to run on current gen.

If the Chinese government still have all the rules and forms etc to fill in to release a game there as they did 8 years ago (last time a game I worked on was released there), it's still going to be a massive pain in the hole. Does your game criticise communism, is your game critical of the Chinese government, does your game say X about religion, etc, etc, etc - the wait 6 months to hear if they'll let you release it.

... "does your game show humans in a subservient role to animals, or animals acting like humans..."

I always remember that one, because it was so odd. So no Animal Crossing for China.

The PlayStation 3 certainly has a decent selection of games due this year — GoW:A, TLoU, Beyond, Puppeteer, etc — but I would imagine Sony's studios will all be focussed on Vita and PS4 going forward.

Rain is pretty promising as well.

Ok by the old '8-bit NES, 16-bit SNES' notation, how many bits are these machines? Is it in any way relevant anymore? I want an easy way to compare their 'power' dammit! I remember the atari Jaguar kinda spoiling the correlation between bits and power, until the N64 revived it.

Yeah it's not relevant. Plus it's difficult because more chips.

Fwiw just going by main CPU, and I could be horribly wrong here. The Xbox is technically "32-bit" but the 360 is 64. The PS2 and PS3 are both 128-bit.

The "128-bit" consoles weren't 128-bit in the same way that your desktop is 64-bit, though. That was just marketing bollocks about making sure that people didn't think they were in the same league as the N64.

You could make just as much a case that the PS2 was 2056-bit.

... "does your game show humans in a subservient role to animals, or animals acting like humans..."

I always remember that one, because it was so odd. So no Animal Crossing for China.

man, they just won't forget about the communist allegory portrayed in Animal Farm, will they?

I'd laugh if that image just referred to a further 360 slim version.

Given that we can see the top of an Xbox 360 Slim in the picture I'm inclined to believe that it's either new dash/slim Xbox promo material or a half-assed photoshop.

Edit - Oh, so it is just the plain old homepage, Zzz

Given that we can see the top of an Xbox 360 Slim in the picture I'm inclined to believe that it's either new dash/slim Xbox promo material or a half-assed photoshop.

Edit - Oh, so it is just the plain old homepage, Zzz

That's the hompage without the tab selected so the picture isn't relevant - its unlikely a photoshop imo as the website has a totally different look to the current one.

Who knows though !