The Next Gen consoles

Major Britten

It's got to be, really. Surprised that they're going to go before Microsoft.

That would be quite the coup. A reveal, then key details at GDC with tech demos, announce the release strategy at E3, in stores for Christmas.

Alternatively this is an announcement for a countdown to a teaser of a trailer for an announcement of an E3 conference.

That's what I had down for Microsoft doing, so if Sony manage it first they'll be in good stead.

Sort of lends credence to the rumours that they were going for a teaser last E3 only for it to be dropped at the last minute.

Based on the URL the teaser is for a PlayStation Meeting, so it's definitely new hardware.

20 days notice seems a bit long, but perhaps they anticipated all the games press spewing the date over Twitter as soon as the invites arrived. It'll be interesting to see how Microsoft responds before the date.

PS4 coming 2013. Games...we'll get back to you on that one.

Most of their first parties (and they have a lot of those) have been working on next-gen titles for quite some time now. That said, I expect most software reveals at E3. It's not like they have much PS3 and Vita titles left to show there.

Most of their first parties (and they have a lot of those) have been working on next-gen titles for quite some time now. That said, I expect most software reveals at E3. It's not like they have much PS3 and Vita titles left to show there.

Poor Vita :(

I'm just being a dick based on past form. I bought a PS2 the day Gran Turismo 3 came out. A year later and I think I'd bought one other game GTA3 before I sold it to someone the day the Xbox came out. I was a huge Sony fan during the PS1 days but I bailed early in the Ps2's lifetime and never really looked back. I believe the PS3 was kinda dry on the games front for the first few years too. I really hope they show something that's must have because I've never felt like I've been missing much from Sony in the past 2 generations. That's not saying there haven't been great games on those machines before everyone jumps on me, just that I've been content with what MS have supplied throughout the Xbox's lifetime.

I think Sony really need to do something out of the ordinary, something truely innovative, if the PS4 is going to dominate Xbox next gen.

A new Kill Zone with amazing GFX, a new realistic racer from the makers of Motorstorm, even a gorgeous Uncharted trailer and a Last Guardian format switch - it just won't be enough to really shake the tree. They must realise a wii style gamble is the only way to go. I really hope they do something daring. Wether that be a playstation plus style subscribtion model as standard, or even a VR headset, I just really want them to do something better than what is expected. Something daring.

(smile contingent on veracity of statement, otherwise a neutral demeanour shall be assumed, which is dependent on time of day, caffeine intake, ongoing anxieties and so forth)

Does this guy have a good track record for being on the money?

He definitely has the connections, but he can get a bit too over-confident with his predictions. Like, early last year he was very confidently saying the new Xbox was coming out in 2012. Now, to be fair, it seems that MS did intend to release it then, but delayed it for whatever reasons, but he should have known it was likely to be pushed back before he acted like it was a done deal.

We might have a PS4 reveal date of February 20th:

Surely such a vague teaser couldn't be for anything else?

Damn, I had posted a response to this last night when I saw your post, but it looks like the ipad didnt' actually post it.

I said:

It has to be a PS4 reveal. It's completely focused on the PS brand. It's smart and sharp.

Note the colours. I'm betting the PS4 has one of those LEDs that can turn a wide range of colours (like the Galaxy Nexus has) as a main visual design element.

Gabe Newell seems to think the biggest threat to Steambox isn't from Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony but from Apple. Makes sense I suppose, Apple have a knack of dominating new technologies they enter into, mp3 players, iTunes, mobile phones, Apps, tablets, by providing a stream-lined product and service the competitors haven't implemented yet.

In a talk at the University of Texas covered by Polygon, Newell said Apple's growing presence in the living room has become a danger to the Steam Box, Valve's upcoming Linux-based gaming platform that will offer user-generated content at affordable prices.

The Apple TV remains somewhat of a dark horse in comparison to Sony's PlayStation and Microsoft's Xbox, but Newell said the market is about to change, trending toward cheaper hardware that can integrate with a user's PC.

"The biggest challenge, I don't think is from the consoles," Newell said. "I think the biggest challenge is that Apple moves on the living room before the PC industry sort of gets its act together."

Currently, the Apple TV does not officially support gaming apps and lacks the hardware necessary to run such software effectively, like a more capable processor and traditional controller. However, a refreshed version of the set-top streamer is expected to be released soon with a Broadcom wireless chip that supports both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Recent reports have also pointed to the inclusion of an A5X SoC that would dramatically boost performance.

"I think that there's a scenario where we see sort of a dumbed down living room platform emerging ? I think Apple rolls the console guys really easily," Newell said. "The question is can we make enough progress in the PC space to establish ourselves there, and also figure out better ways of addressing mobile before Apple takes over the living room?"

The current console manufacturers are just repeating a well trodden template that's been going for decades so I'm interested to see what Valve and Apple have in mind to revolutionise our living room habits. By the sound of it Gabe thinks it's so good the current competition aren't even competition.

Gabe Newell seems to think the biggest threat to Steambox isn't from Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony but from Apple. Makes sense I suppose, Apple have a knack of dominating new technologies they enter into, mp3 players, iTunes, mobile phones, Apps, tablets, by providing a stream-lined product and service the competitors haven't implemented yet.

The current console manufacturers are just repeating a well trodden template that's been going for decades so I'm interested to see what Valve and Apple have in mind to revolutionise our living room habits. By the sound of it Gabe thinks it's so good the current competition aren't even competition.

Yeah, i'm totally sure Gaben doesn't want the tens of millions of buyers that the PS/Xbox/Nintendo brands represent.

What exactly is there to revolutionise in the living room? People have gone from having TV to TV and Video to TV and DVD to TV and DVD that played Xvids to TV and some kind of streaming media solution for stuff you've downloaded off the net, to just simply having a TV that streams Netflix/Lovefilm/iPlayer etc.

To me, the biggest threat to Next Gen consoles are TV manufacturers themselves. I mean, why not have the gubbins of a PC in a TV itself? People want to streamline as much as possible so having a screen in the corner that can play the new games as well is, to me, where all this is heading. Samsung/LG/Panasonic are the real threats, if you ask me.

What exactly is there to revolutionise in the living room? People have gone from having TV to TV and Video to TV and DVD to TV and DVD that played Xvids to TV and some kind of streaming media solution for stuff you've downloaded off the net, to just simply having a TV that streams Netflix/Lovefilm/iPlayer etc.

To me, the biggest threat to Next Gen consoles are TV manufacturers themselves. I mean, why not have the gubbins of a PC in a TV itself? People want to streamline as much as possible so having a screen in the corner that can play the new games as well is, to me, where all this is heading. Samsung/LG/Panasonic are the real threats, if you ask me.

Basically, the future of the living room is this.

480px-Commodore_2001_Series-IMG_0448b.jpg

Small problem with that, CE companies couldn't write a usable UI for love or money, Samsung phones rely on Google to make them usable. That's the secret sauce Apple have, they make shit easily usable for non-technical people, Steve Jobs said he'd cracked the TV problem before he died, where the fuck is the product Apple?!?

Yeah, i'm totally sure Gaben doesn't want the tens of millions of buyers that the PS/Xbox/Nintendo brands represent.

Sorry, over 200 million buyers across the three consoles (PS3/360/Wii).

Totally sure Gaben isn't interesting in hundreds of millions of consumers in the market for a console.

The GabeN plays the long game though, STEAM arrived ages before digital distribution was a mainstream concern, he's thinking about winning the war for the Billions of consumers, rather than the subset that consoles represent, and Apple is easily more of a potential threat there than any games console is likely to be, even though Sony and Microsoft's longterm agenda is control of the living room.

He wants them, he just doesn't seem to think there'll be a problem getting them and that the only other contender is Apple.

What exactly is there to revolutionise in the living room?

Dunno. Making everything more integrated? Not being stuck with a console that doesn't link up intuitively with your phone/tablet/PC/cloud storage, etc? No discs? Making it an open system third parties and TV manufacturers can stick into their kit?

If you'd told anyone a few years ago Apple and Android would be rivalling (outselling?) Nintendo handhelds for game sales we'd be asking the same question, 'how'?

I wanted to ask this in here because I wanted to get a feeling across the board and not just about Wii U, Durango or Orbis, but do we (you) think that these next generation machines will sell like hot cakes or will they receive a somewhat muted response from the general public? I can't decide one way or the other at the moment. I'm just not sure that beyond the gaming forums of the world, millions of people will be willing to go along for the ride now that we have so many devices in the home converging and offering overlapping products. I'm also thinking that because of tablets and smartphones, these devices that sit under the tv might feel somewhat antiquated despite the amount of power they can wield. Then, there is the world wide economy to factor in which is massively different to 2005/6. I may be just being slightly luddist and pessimistic, but I think that beyond these walls of gaming forums, all three console manufacturers are in for tough times.

It all comes down to price, that's been the biggest obstacle to WiiU and PSVita.

It's arguably more important now than ever, and until we know the price, we can't say.

It's also incredibly hard to tell anything about how something will do from launch, we've had lots of bit launches that resulted in an instant stall and stock sitting on shelves. But looking at say, the PS3, various pricecuts have seen performance shift a great deal later on.

Then, there is the world wide economy to factor in which is massively different to 2005/6. I may be just being slightly luddist and pessimistic, but I think that beyond these walls of gaming forums, all three console manufacturers are in for tough times.

Hundreds of millions of people spend more on a phone than they do on a consoles (and every two years at that).

I honestly believe that the prices of consoles have little do with their success (to a degree, obviously) - I mean, its never been the cheapest console that leads the generation at the start, and a 'fire sale' has never reversed the fortunes of any console (I'm thinking the last year of the Dreamcast or the Gamecube).

As always, sales are very slow at the start of a generation because the generation it replaces sells hardware for buttons with a vast, cheap back catalogue (and nagging kids because all their mates now have consoles).

It think the WiiU situation is more to do with consumer alienation and confusion than it is price - but I also think its demise is being overstated in the press - things can easily turn around for it over the next couple of years. They've lost the original 'Wii' audience though - no doubt about it.

Hundreds of millions of people spend more on a phone than they do on a consoles (and every two years at that).

Maybe. But most people I know get them for free or for a few quid at most on 24 month contracts. In fact, I got my new S3 for nothing, lowered my price plan and still got given £30 from quidco for the privilege. I know that those kind of deals may not exist elsewhere on the globe, but I would also argue that phones are seen by some as something more necessary to them than a console. On top of that, all those people spending big on phones may suddenly find that they don't have the spare £400 or so for a new console. And come the tail end of the next gen, say 2018/2019, when hopefully the bulk of sales are garnered, will a box under your tv even be relevant any more?

Nah the cheap/free phone on a contract thing seems to be limited to the UK... In the US they typically pay $200 for the phone AND have a contract which is much dearer than the equivalent over here. In some other countries they just don't have subsidies like that all.

Maybe. But most people I know get them for free or for a few quid at most on 24 month contracts. In fact, I got my new S3 for nothing, lowered my price plan and still got given £30 from quidco for the privilege. I know that those kind of deals may not exist elsewhere on the globe, but I would also argue that phones are seen by some as something more necessary to them than a console. On top of that, all those people spending big on phones may suddenly find that they don't have the spare £400 or so for a new console. And come the tail end of the next gen, say 2018/2019, when hopefully the bulk of sales are garnered, will a box under your tv even be relevant any more?

It's a fair point, I think, but I guess my point was that as far as entertainment gadgets go, I don't think people factor sub-£500 games consoles (which they'll have for nearly a decade) into their 'recession busting' cutbacks (in fact, its been argued that home entertainment booms during economic downturns).