Football Thread 2011/2012

SMD

I'm commenting on news "lads", as well as being happy that my prediction was lolworthy.

And Redknapp is a lying piece of work, good to see him get chopped. What's not to like?

Here's more:

@BBCSport: Harry Redknapp: "I am sad to be leaving but wish to thank the players, staff and fans for their terrific support during my time there."

Triffic, indeed.

Redknapp will somehow end up back at West Ham by Christmas and then drag them out of relegation so he can then bang on about a 'Triffic season 'cause when I got here we only had 3 points and were bottom of the league, so you never know, you never know. Top, top player. Weeeel give it a go, y'know'

What he did was remarkable. He took a club that was massively unlucky to miss out on the Champions League due to a dodgy lasagne to being massively unlucky to miss out on the Champions League due to Chelsea somehow winning it.

What he did was remarkable. He took a club that was massively unlucky to miss out on the Champions League due to a dodgy lasagne to being massively unlucky to miss out on the Champions League due to Chelsea somehow winning it.

Indeed, I think a lot people have forgotten that Spurs were already pretty decent under Martin Jol and while Ramos was a mistake the squad he left was still decent.

I know it's fashionable to hate Redknapp but he did get Spurs playing some decent football and they finished what 4th, 5th & 4th under him. With Man City, Chelsea and Man United all having greater financial power and Arsenal and Liverpool competing for the Champions League places I'm not sure what more Levy expected.

I'm guessing this had nothing to do with performances on the pitch as was about his contract and unwillingness to sell players. As good a manager as Moyes is, I can't see him doing much better than Redknapp on the pitch with the resources available at Spurs. He would probably be more realistic off the pitch and less likely to bankrupt the club though!

Indeed, I think a lot people have forgotten that Spurs were already pretty decent under Martin Jol and while Ramos was a mistake the squad he left was still decent.

That's true, but under 'Arry they started playing some really attractive attacking football (good to watch as a neutral), far more so than under Jol (who I actually liked). How much of that was down to 'Arry and how much was his coaching staff I don't know.

Re Rangers FC - so CVA formally rejected, administrators stating their intention to sell club (Rangers FC) to Green's new company (The Rangers Football Club) as they have his money in place, continue to sell assets of Rangers PLC to other parties over the next 8-10 weeks... but now Walter Smith has stepped in with an offer to buy Rangers FC!

Source

The League Cup draw was made today

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/18438319

]Derby County v Scunthorpe United

Rochdale v Barnsley

Port Vale v Burnley

Notts County v Bradford City

Hull City v Rotherham United

Fleetwood Town v Nottingham Forest

Carlisle United v Accrington Stanley

Doncaster Rovers v York City

Crewe Alexandra v Hartlepool United

Bury v Middlesbrough

Chesterfield v Tranmere Rovers

Sheffield United v Burton Albion

Blackpool v Morecambe

Leeds United v Shrewsbury Town

Preston North End v Huddersfield Town

Oldham Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday

Cheltenham Town v Milton Keynes Dons

Ipswich Town v Bristol Rovers

Stevenage v AFC Wimbledon

Exeter City v Crystal Palace

Yeovil Town v Colchester United

Birmingham City v Barnet

Bristol City v Gillingham

Northampton Town v Cardiff City

Plymouth Argyle v Portsmouth

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Aldershot Town

Walsall v Brentford

Millwall v Crawley Town

Torquay United v Leicester City

Dagenham & Redbridge v Coventry City

Peterborough United v Southend United

Swindon Town v Brighton & Hove Albion

Watford v Wycombe Wanderers

Charlton Athletic v Leyton Orient

Oxford United v AFC Bournemouth

During the 1983 season, Portsmouth had secured promotion and brought 10,000 away fans who took over our entire ground. I was only 6 or 7 at the time and it was the first time I'd witnessed crowd trouble. It was insane. We had about 5,000 home fans at the start and about 50 at the end because most of us went home at half time to avoid the bottles being thrown, the newspapers that were set on fire and thrown at us. It was an invasion. My Dad actually told me a few years ago that he feared for our lives. As a 6/7 year old, I thought it was wonderful.

There's some brilliant ties for lower league clubs in that list. Has it been seeded at all as it seems like all the big clubs have League 2 opposition.

Boca vs Universidad de Chile later on, first leg of the Copa Libertadores semi-final. Boca came through against Chilean opposition last round when they saw off Union Espanola, but they were fortunate as Espanola were very sloppy in front of goal, and La U are anything but. I think it'll be tight, Boca are very very strong at home (except when I back them against a totally shit Independiente side and they manage to lose 5-4) and I can see them squeaking it 1-0, but then La U should hump them in the second leg.

Santos vs Corinthians first leg last night ended in a 0-1 away win for Brazil's answer to George Graham's Arsenal. Santos are missing Ganso a lot, and are struggling to break teams down. Second leg should be interesting as Santos will have to go for it, and defensively accomplished as Corinthians are, if Neymar turns up he could easily fire Santos in a second successive final appearance.

Huw Jenkins has played another blinder. I can't wait for next season under Laudrup. Next step is to secure the signing of Gylfi. Question is whether he wants to play second fiddle to Gerrard at Liverpool or cement his place as a Jack legend playing under one of the best players to ever play football.

Next step is to secure the signing of Gylfi. Question is whether he wants to play second fiddle to Gerrard at Liverpool or cement his place as a Jack legend playing under one of the best players to ever play football.

If he was to come to Liverpool, I wouldn't see him being a bench player by any means - our midfield was awful last season.

So, Rangers are being replaced by 'Club 12' when the fixture list comes out for the SPL this week, as they have to have re-apply for their SPL membership - and for that they need the support of 8 out of 12 clubs.

Now, I've read that there are noises that some clubs want to see Rangers punished and removed from the SPL, but what argument would there be for any club voting against their re-admission? Isn't it a bit like Spain in that most of the clubs get more income purposely because of their existence in the league? And losing them would surely only make the league weaker in the long run?

I can understand that there will be clubs and fans that want to see them receive a punishment for what is - let's be honest - a complete shambles they've made of things, but is any vote against them anything other than a spite vote?

They'll have to balance the TV finances side of things with fan boycotts and stuff, a number of clubs like Aberdeen have had threats of supporter boycotts if they vote for newco re-admission. I think most chairmen want the easy route of re-admitting the big club but the supporters want them punished severely.

Also there is a lot of political bargaining whereby if Rangers want in, then the 'gang of ten' (all the spl clubs minus the old firm) will push for reciprocal increased power in votes. At the moment the old firm have basically a veto against anything the other clubs want, they want this re-arranged to be more in favour of them. Also a more equal share of tv income etc. It's pretty complicated but I would imagine rangers wont be allowed in and will have to start in Div 3, or maybe Div1 if Sky flex their muscles.