IGNORED

Microsoft do a Nintendo

Phelan

I'd imagine that if the Panasonic Q had been the standard model Gamecube, it would have been cracked by now.

The way the Q works is very clever. The Q contains a proper Panasonic DVD player separate to the GameCube, unlike the PS2 and Xbox which use onboard DVD decoders.

This way, they've allowed the drive to run in two very distinct modes, with no possible need for overlap. When in GC mode, the drive doesn't recognise DVD's. When in DVD mode, the drive doesn't recognise GC discs.

Without some kind of mental reverse engineering of the drive and also chipping of the Cube part of the hardware to allow it to run code without the security barcodes off the GC discs, you'd never get even the Q to run pirated games.

In fact, if it were that easy (ho-hum), you could run the same reverse engineer mod on a standard GC drive and run mini-DVD-R's on it via a modchip. The fact that someone hasn't been able to do so in the last 2 years of the GC's life would suggest that it's just not possible.

The PS2 piracy scene is smaller than the PS1's was. I suspect due to less piracy-friendly architecture to start with and more aggressive anti-mod chip action almost as soon as mod chips became known of.

I think Sony could have done far more when PS1 piracy rocketed but chose not to, believing it to be good for their popularity. I admit, my previous post was pure conjecture, but I suspect Microsoft of following a similar path.

I wonder what it has cost them to keep changing the version of a system for the past 3 years, even to the point where doing that either out of necessity or annoyance to the cheeky modders hasn't really worked.

Only floppies do. Optical drives are, by and large, one-sided.

Are you replying to my last posts?

I'm just talking about the space for small discs that you have in the middle of your CD/DVD drive.

But Xbox has that already. At least mine does.

Exactly, most CD Drives do, so why not use it. Small discs for XB 2 but still backward compatability and DVD playback.

Piracy is deffinetly not as apparent in the current console generation, I don't know anybody that chips or sells x-box or PS2s.

Wouldn't they just stick two dvd-r's together?

Stick two games in your XBox at once and you'll see.

It's worth bearing in mind that, as well as being small, GC disks read from the outside in, while normal disks read from the inside out. The size of the disk is only a trivia issue, and if a console had space for both large and small disks, then obviously you could write the data from the small disk to a standard disk and it would be read like normal.

But with Xbox, because it's not very popular, it has a real knock-on effect as ideally Microsoft wll want to be selling as many software units as possible to offset their massive losses on the hardware. At least Nintendo know that every single GameCube that is sold will only be used to play original GameCube games. And (ironically for their reputation as the dead horse in the current console race), their most popular game is a whole 11 places ahead of Microsoft's in the all-formats chart.

Since when was the Xbox not popular?

If anything, it's more popular than the Cube in the UK (we sell a fair bit more in the store I work at). And it definitely is in the US as recent figures have shown.

Their only title in the all formats may be above the Xbox's PGR2, but hardly any sales in the rest of the chart are of mutli-format GameCube titles (LotR, FIFA etc), yet the Xbox sells them in abundance, along with the exclusives.

The Xbox's selling point for some is the piracy part, but it's not that mainstream yet (although some stores actually carry out the modding) - and I still buy plenty of titles.

Sadly, for Nintendo, they haven't released a main Pokemon title on the GameCube, or a Mario one for that matter (a proper sequel to M64). So they're always going to lag until that time.

But with Xbox, because it's not very popular, it has a real knock-on effect as ideally Microsoft wll want to be selling as many software units as possible to offset their massive losses on the hardware. At least Nintendo know that every single GameCube that is sold will only be used to play original GameCube games. And (ironically for their reputation as the dead horse in the current console race), their most popular game is a whole 11 places ahead of Microsoft's in the all-formats chart.

If anything, it's more popular than the Cube in the UK (we sell a fair bit more in the store I work at). And it definitely is in the US as recent figures have shown.

The figures that show the GC outselling the XBox? :)

Wouldn't they just stick two dvd-r's together?

Stick two games in your XBox at once and you'll see.

It's worth bearing in mind that, as well as being small, GC disks read from the outside in, while normal disks read from the inside out. The size of the disk is only a trivia issue, and if a console had space for both large and small disks, then obviously you could write the data from the small disk to a standard disk and it would be read like normal.

.::: The outside-in issue is practically a non-issue. There is already software available able to cope with that.

Since it sold less units in a month than PS2 does in a week probably.

Since it's best selling exclusive title is number 27 in the all-formats chart right at the busiest shopping period of the year maybe.

Since it sold less units in a month than PS2 does in a week probably.

Since it's best selling exclusive title is number 27 in the all-formats chart right at the busiest shopping period of the year maybe.

But you're a cock, and argue over things which people have proved you wrong in many a time (see NTSC-UK).

And there's only one exclusive GCN title in the top 40 too...

And around 4 - 6 exclusive PS2 titles.

The placing of the Xbox games has no reflection on Xbox sales (console wise), and because of the wide selection of games, and high multi-format sales, that makes your arguement worthless.

TopSpin, PGR2, Rainbow Six 3, all titles which we sell a lot of. And as I've mentioned, we sell more Xboxes than Cubes, and in the US, the Xbox has been outselling the Cube for ages.

But back to the topic... I think it's inevitable that Microsoft will release their next console, and it'll be hacked soon enough - if it doesn't, I'll be very surprised indeed. But where there's a will...

ahem...

he's "a cock", for offering a contrary viewpoint to an old argument?

I think not :)

Nope, he's a cock because he argues things that are factually wrong (and proven so), and thinks he's always right, no matter what. It's ignorance personified.

It's not a viewpoint. It's plain stupidity.

What does the GameCube have to do with anything? Nobody said anything about that. Both Xbox and GameCube are losers in this generation. I'm comparing Xbox to PS2 - the only truly popular console this generation.

PS2 Chart:

1 MEDAL OF HONOR: RISING SUN

2 FIFA 2004

3 NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERGROUND

4 LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING

5 THE SIMPSONS: HIT & RUN

6 EYE TOY: PLAY

7 TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND

8 TRUE CRIME: STREETS OF LA

9 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 3

10 WWE SMACKDOWN! HERE COMES THE PAIN

Xbox Chart:

2 PROJECT GOTHAM RACING 2

4 FIFA 2004

5 TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX 3

6 XIII

7 LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING

8 TRUE CRIME: STREETS OF LA

9 MAX PAYNE 2: THE FALL OF MAX PAYNE

10 CRASH BANDICOOT - WRATH OF CORTEX

Which of the preceeding charts shows the most correllation with the following all-formats chart?

All Formats:

2 FIFA 2004

4 LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING

5 THE SIMPSONS: HIT & RUN

6 TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND

7 TRUE CRIME: STREETS OF LA

8 HARRY POTTER: QUIDDITCH WORLD CUP

9 EYE TOY: PLAY

10 FINDING NEMO

It would take only a delusional person to even think that the Xbox versions of any of those games are doing anything significant to their all-format positioning. Otherwise, PGR2 wouldn't be at number 27.

But of course, that's just factually wrong and plain stupidity I'm sure... :)