IGNORED

Awake

Hexx

Police detective Michael Britten (Jason Isaacs) regains consciousness following a car accident involving his wife Hannah (Laura Allen) and his son Rex (Dylan Minnette). Michael moves back and forth between two realities: in one, Rex survived while Hannah is dead; in the other, Hannah survived but Rex did not. Trying to keep both his loved ones alive, Michael starts living a "double life," moving back and forth between the two realities, dealing with different personal conflicts and police partners. He also starts noticing strange links between the two realities.

Looks good - but seems like it would need a set timeframe/end point to stop it dragging on

Yeah, that looks like it has the potential to be excellent. I see it's created by Kyle Killen who had last year's best new pilot (Lone Star, also about leading a double life) cancelled after two episodes, so here's hoping he gets a proper whack at it this time around.

EDIT: Unfortunately it looks like we'll be waiting a while for this one; it's going to be a mid-season replacement.

Listened to an interview with him today (Daily Bacon Podcast).

He is about to move to LA to shoot Series 1 so it'll be a while yet.

Actings crazy - uproot your wife and kids for something that could take up 3/5/7 years of your life or last 6 months becuase the network execbots don't like it.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well it was quite good - but the trailer basically tells you the entire pilot.

Not sure I can see this being a whole series, never mind multiple seasons.

Calling it now though

He's either still in the car crash and his mind is trying to decide who to save (as he can only save one for some reason, or he's dead/in a coma as a result of the crash and neither reality is real

Not sure I can see this being a whole series, never mind multiple seasons.

You say this like it's a bad thing. To me it makes it more promising than shows that you can obviously see how they are going to string out. It means the writers will hopefully come up with something clever and interesting to keep it going rather than just a different monster each week or whatever. Homeland, for example, was like this. It was hard to see how they could keep it going at certain points, but so far they have and have done it very well.

• 2 months later...

Well I enjoyed that. Not a huge fan of the colour filters being used to add such blunt difference between the look of his two realities, and the kidnap/murder plots were a bit too simply and quickly resolved (but I'll forgive that in a pilot with lots to establish), but overall I'll certainly watch a few more.

Yeah, despite Peter saying I shouldn't bother I did give the pilot a go and I didn't mind it. Everything jonamok says is spot on but it had me sufficiently intrigued to give it a few more episodes (which is a lot more than can be said for other recent shows like Touch, Grimm and Alcatraz).

Damn. I assume this one and only series is 13 eps then? Anyone know if they knew about getting canned early enough to be able to give the series any closure - without spoilers, natch. If this is just going to be left unresolved, I might quit watching now.

That's not my problem with the show (Life on Mars showed you could care about characters that didn't actually exist) instead it comes from how, by juggling lots of different elements, none are developed in any satisfying way. The procedural element is just ridiculously simple...

Episode 2 spoilers:

So in one reality he gets told the killer is short which means in the other we get a grand total of two suspects; one a giant and one a short arse. No investigative work occurs, no red herrings thrown into the mix, the whole thing is spelt out for the audience immediately and strips the film of its whodunnit hook.

Then you get the family dramas which are just incredibly dull and simplistic whilst the sessions with the psychiatrists help repeat the main plot points for those too thick not to follow a very basic plot.

• 3 weeks later...

I took one for the team and watched all 13 episodes - it got (slightly) better towards the end and it's definitely a closed show - there can't be a S2.

The ending was

A fucking disgrace

Ha, I spent ages hovering over that spoiler box before I finally clicked it you bastard! ;)