Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - Trailer

DeFiBkIlLeR

YouTube version:

Looking forward to this. I recently read the book and watched the 1979 BBC series, and even though much of the story's appeal lies in how much detail it goes into with the slow methodical pace of the lengthy conversations, I think that the story and characters are good enough that it should withstand being condensed down to a 2 hour film.

I've just come back to say, can somebody please sort out the topic title please? I realise utalkin2me admitted the mistake but it is really, really distracting.

Thank you, bye.

Yeah, it's making me think about the movie team-up of the century, instead of cool 60s-set spy thrillers:

Tinkerbell-pink-sm.jpgpota5.jpgsoldier04.JPGsalt-review-angelina-jolie.jpg

In fact, I demand this film be made now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've never read le Carré; is this the best book to start with?

TTSS and The Spy Who Came in From the Cold are the only two of his I've read, and they're both great. But The Spy Who Came in From the Cold is definitely the less complex and more accessible of the two: shorter, far fewer characters, and all the spy jargon's more explicitly explained.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Excellent film. I love these slow burners where you can really absorb the craftsmanship. It felt like an authentic take on the tawdry, unglamorous world of spies and the type of people who would chose that career path. As vincenzo says, a bit like The Conversation.

I thought the ending in particular was superb. Not the set up at London House - finding out whodunnit is just routine - but the scenes afterwards showing the aftermath, the effect of the betrayal, how the characters dealt with it. I thought Mark Strong's character was particularly affecting.

I'm a real sucker for this kind of drawn-out drama with long scenes of men just looking but not really saying much.