IGNORED

How casual is THIS?

rirons

A couple I know have decided this christmas they will get a games console - they are getting a PS2 because it's available in silver to match the rest of their hifi stuff. :)

Holy crap - I mean, I knew casual gamers didn't know much about how they should be choosing, but basing it on the colour is ridiculous!

On the other hand, if you're a casual gamer, a PS2 isn't really a bad choice I suppose. Gamecube is the cheapest and a great machine, but most of the games appeal more to you and me, not many footie/generic blast 'em up games. XBox is probably my recommendation for a casual gamer, being cheaper than the PS2 and with a lot of games to appeal to both casual and hardcore, but it is very large and it is black, so if you want a sleek silver unit then... :)

Oh, I'd definitely rather have a silver one too, it looks cool. But if I was going to choose only one console, I'd look at the games. But then, I'm a gamer, not a "normal person".

Kudos to Sony for thinking of that - I guess their experience manufacturing hifi components pays off here.

I'd rather have a silver ps2 than a black one. It looks quite cool for starters, and it'd suit my dvd, sky box and tv. Nowt wrong with someone choosing one based on aesthetics - its a consideration of home ownership, matey.

Huh huh.

You said homo.

Sorry :)

Sony always wanted it to look like it could slide in among the other Hi-Fi equipment, without looking like you had a - gulp - games machine. Job done.

Next step - invisible control pads! :)

Or just LESS control pads. :)

Actually though, I think the silver PS2 looks kinda ass.

I still want one though, because it doesn't sound like a jet plane taking off outside my window (slight exageration). I'd have to paint though.

I still want one though, because it doesn't sound like a jet plane taking off outside my window (slight exageration). I'd have to paint though.

You can get the latest model PS2 in black. I think.

Cool.

I'll have to get that in the spring, then.

I just feel so out of the loop without a PS2. :)

When most people buy a "consumer electronics" item - be it a TV, VCR, DVD player, whatever - their main concern is almost certainly aesthetic. They don't need to worry about which DVDs their DVD player will play (unless they want multi-regionality, and even then I'd hazard a guess that most people don't care about this), just that it looks nice.

The same is probably true about consoles. To the non-gamer, they all seem pretty much the same, so they may as well just get the one that fits in with the rest of the room.

This isn't "wrong" or "stupid". It's just not what a "gamer" would do.

I have "overused" the inverted "commas" here.

Am I the only person in the world who still has a black television?  :)

I have a black, 24", 4:3, non rgb, non 60hz TV

I win.

I have a 21" Hitachi TV. Around 15 years old. Has a SCART socket, plays 60Hz games, plays NTSC games. It's ace.

And...the best of all...it's not widescreen!

I've read an article yesterday about some guys who wanted to kill their dad because they were hooked on Final Fantasy VIII and in a boxout it was stated that another murderspree was inspired by Counter-Strike, which is, according to the article, a Shoot'm'up just like Final Fantasy VIII. How casual is that? I bet some people buy a console just because of it's colour, makes more sense than this.

But still, the PS2 is the best all-round console out there, so cheers to them I guess...