IGNORED

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy & Curtain Call

Keyboard Koala

image3alpn.png

Revealed in this week's edition of the Japanese magazine Jump, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is a "Theater Rhythm Action" game (say what?) for the Nintendo 3DS. The game has field scenes set in dungeons and towns, and battle scenes that resemble the side-view battles of the traditional Final Fantasy games. However, everything is played like a rhythm game, where you tap the screen in accordance with prompts.
Needless to say, the game's music is pulled from past Final Fantasy games. Characters, including the likes of Lightning (who?) and Cloud smile.gif , are also in the game, only they're shown in cute "chibi" style form, resembling the avatars from the mobile Kingdom Hearts game.
There seems to be somewhat of a story to the game. Jump says that the classic Final Fantasy characters are fighting to return light to the crystals.

So, a rhythm based, best-of Final Fantasy featuring an all-star cast. What's not to love? Hope this gets localized, as the first scans show how adorable it all looks.

1309948671.jpg

therhythmfan1.jpg

image135p9a7.pngimage221plw3.pngimage197kxxu.pngimage104zljb.pngimage170a9lx.pngimage248hx54.png

Onion Knight wub.gif

Seems like it's probably being developed by Square Enix' Jupiter studio. From The World Ends With You fame (great game!).

Some of Jupiter’s other work includes Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Spectrobes.

Jupiter has been involved with Nintendo handhelds since the Game Boy and hasn’t made any recent titles. So it’d make sense for Theatrhythm Final Fantasy to fit within their development schedule.

In before Sarge

Japanese site (with fancy mix of "Prelude" - http://www.square-enix.co.jp/t_ff/

- Character designs by MonsterOctopus, who did work for a Kingdom hearts mobile game.

- Game is by IndiesZero, makers of ElectroPlankton and retro Game Challenge

Rough story approximation, sort of slots into the Dissidia universe

Apparently, the space between the gods Chaos and Cosmos is known as "Rhythm." "Rhythm" gives birth to the crystal which controls music, and fills the world with sound. However, the forces of chaos have disrupted the peace, and the crystal has begin to lose its shine. To restore the crystal's shine, the music wave "Rizpo" must be increased. And so, the warriors, guided by the crystal, begin their journey of music.

Gameplay:

- I to XIII represented

- 3 stages (field, battle, event) for each game with different gameplay mechanics

- Adjustable difficulty

- Create party of four from the cast

- Collect music and movie scenes and also level up

Specific songs announced:

- Clash on the Big Bridge (FFV)

- One Winged Angel (VII)

- At Zanakand (X)

- The Sunleth Waterscape (XIII)

002.jpg

001.jpg

(all via Andriasang)

edit: updated pictures to working links

Seems like it's probably being developed by Square Enix' Jupiter studio. From The World Ends With You fame (great game!).

Some of Jupiter’s other work includes Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Spectrobes.

Apparently not.

The developer behind the title is indieszero Corporation. Some of the company’s previous work includes Electroplankton and Retro Game Challenge. Indieszero’s latest title, DualPenSports, was released a few weeks ago.

What's more important though, the official Japanese site is now up!

:D

EDIT: Beaten to it by Frank Drebin

Gameplay:

- Create party of four from the cast

My 'dreamcast': Onion Knight, Cloud, Zidane and Vaan.

More info from Andriasang:

- Three modes of play: Music Game, SpotPass, Museum

- Three submodes for Music Game: Series, Challenge, another mystery mode

- Options are shown with your current party, listed with HP and level

- Swap out characters from your party

- Icons move across the screen

- Three icons: Red, yellow, green

- Red: Touch the screen briefly

- Yellow: Slide in the direction of the arrow or line of movement of the icon

- Green: Touch and hold down on the screen

- Field: Play to field, town and dungeon music. There’s just one rhythm line here. The difficulty is lower, and there are some more relaxed songs that require you to slide the touch pen up and down.

- Battle: There are four rhythm lines here. The music is higher tempo and the difficulty higher. It appears that you’ll be able to get critical attacks by timing your inputs perfectly.

- Over 50 songs

- Three songs each for FFI through FFXIII, corresponding to each game’s Field, Battle and Event stages

- Surround sound

- Originally a DS game

- Out this Winter in Japan

Originally a DS game? Hmm, don't like the sound of that though...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's surprisingly intuitive, given the disconnect between the touch screen and the display screen, although during the field section (second demo song) I did find my stylus drifting uncontrollably over to the left and had to keep correcting it.

It's nice, it does feel a bit like Ouendan meets Rhythm Heaven.

Got about 70% through the first song on the highest difficulty before it killed me. I think it'll be hard enough for people who want a challenge.

I'm not won over by the art style; it does look a bit cheap, but the game has certainly landed on my radar. I suppose it'll live or die on the quality of its music.

The list of music, according to FinalFantasy Wikia:

Final Fantasy:

"Main Theme", "Gurgu Volcano", "Matoya's Cave", "Underwater Temple", "Battle Scene", "Chaos Shrine", "Opening Theme", "Prelude","Ending Theme", "Cornelia Castle"

Final Fantasy II:

"Main Theme", "Dungeon", "Magician's Tower", "Battle Theme 2", "Battle Scene 1", "The Rebel Army", "Prelude", "Finale"

Final Fantasy III:

"Eternal Wind", "Into the Crystal Cave", "Crystal Tower", "Battle 2", "Battle 1", "Battle to the Death", "Elia, the Maiden of Water", "Prelude", "Ending Theme", "Return of the Warrior"

Final Fantasy IV:

"Final Fantasy IV Main Theme", "Giant's Dungeon", "Battle with the Four Fiends", "Battle 1", "The Final Battle", "Battle 2", "Theme of Love", "Prelude", "Ending Theme"

Final Fantasy V:

"Four Hearts", "Mambo de Chocobo", "In Search of Light", "Battle at the Big Bridge", "The Final Battle", "Battle 1", "Decisive Battle", "My Home, Sweet Home", "Main Theme of Final Fantasy V", "The New Origin"

Final Fantasy VI:

"Terra's Theme", "Searching for Friends", "Decisive Battle", "The Fierce Battle", "Dancing Mad", "Battle Theme", "Celes' Theme", "Omen", "Ending Theme"

Final Fantasy VII:

"Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII", "Judgement Day", "Cosmo Canyon", "One-Winged Angel", "J-E-N-O-V-A", "Those Who Fight", "Those Who Fight Further", "Aerith's Theme", "Prelude", "Staff Roll"

Final Fantasy VIII:

"Blue Fields", "Ride On", "The Castle", "The Man with the Machine Gun", "Force Your Way", "Waltz for the Moon", "Overture", "Eyes on Me"

Final Fantasy IX:

"Over the Hills", "Something to Protect", "Sleepless City Treno", "Battle 1", "The Darkness of Eternity", "Battle 2", "Beyond the Door", "The Place I'll Return to Someday", "Melodies of Life"

Final Fantasy X:

"Mi'ihen Highroad", "Someday the Dream Will End", "Movement in Green", "Seymour Battle", "Battle Theme", "Challenge", "Otherworld", "A Contest of Aeons", "Suteki da ne", "To Zanarkand", "Suteki da ne -Orchestral Version-"

Final Fantasy XI:

"Ronfaure", "The Sanctuary of Zi'Tah", "Awakening", "Fighters of the Crystal", "Battle Theme", "Ragnarok", "Final Fantasy XI Opening Theme", "Vana'diel March", "Vana'diel March #2"

Final Fantasy XII:

"Giza Plains", "The Dalmasca Estersand", "The Royal City of Rabanastre/City Ward Upper Level", "Clash of Swords", "Desperate Fight", "Esper Battle", "Theme of the Empire", "FINAL FANTASY ~FFXII Version~", "Ending Movie"

Final Fantasy XIII:

"Sunleth Waterscape", "Archylte Steppe", "March of the Dreadnoughts", "Saber's Edge", "Blinded By Light", "Fighting Fate", "Defiers of Fate", "FINAL FANTASY XIII ~The Promise~", "Ending Credits"

Final Fantasy XIII-2:

"Etro's Champion"

Final Fantasy Type-0:

"What Becomes of Us"

Final Fantasy Versus XIII:

"Somnus"

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it is. I've had a couple of very minor annoyances where a slidey note hasn't registered, and one or two occasions where the tap points don't *quite* match the music, but otherwise it's really good. It looks lovely, too - interface is crisp, feedback's good, collectibles and trophies are a nice touch and I find the chibi characters rather appealing. And, y'know, the tunes are decent.

I think it's amazing and I'm surprised it hasn't had more attention on here.

OK so I'm a fan of Final Fantasy and a bit of a rhythm action nut too but this is seriously great. The actual music bits are reminiscent of Ouendan and the whole thing's wrapped up in a very clever structure that keeps on tantalising you with new things to collect, stuff to unlock, characters to level, items to win and so on - as a result it's very difficult to put down. And the music is great, with more already being released as DLC.

It's also got masses and masses of content and loads of little touches that will make a FF fan smile in recognition. Just a quality game all round really.

If you've played it a lot, you may know this: you get a bonus for unequipping all items, but if you use items you can beat enemies more effectively. So which approach works out as more beneficial?

And yes, It's a great game. The standard of FF music elevates it above most Rhythm Action games. I'm really hoping you don't say using items isn't a good plan, cos they seem to add another dimension.

If you've played it a lot, you may know this: you get a bonus for unequipping all items, but if you use items you can beat enemies more effectively. So which approach works out as more beneficial?

If you're playing Challenge mode, it's all about the score, so unequip all the items. (They will only make a difference if you're genuinely struggling to get through a song, in which case you should practise some more rather than relying on items). The bonus you get is 2 million points, it's massive.

If you're playing Chaos Shrine, you are probably trying to complete the field stage or kill the bosses as quickly and effectively as possible, and score makes no difference, so go nuts with the items.

Got my copy today and loving it so far. I can see it costing me a small fortune in DLC in the future.

Is there any kind of leaderboard or such? Not delved too deeply into it yet, but haven't noticed anything.

If you're playing Challenge mode, it's all about the score, so unequip all the items. (They will only make a difference if you're genuinely struggling to get through a song, in which case you should practise some more rather than relying on items). The bonus you get is 2 million points, it's massive.

If you're playing Chaos Shrine, you are probably trying to complete the field stage or kill the bosses as quickly and effectively as possible, and score makes no difference, so go nuts with the items.

Actually neither! Series mode. But cheers for the advice, I'll replay my Chaos Shrine bits with this info in mind!