Planetside 2 - Epic online FPS battles with armies of players (F2P)

Whilst I follow your general line of reasoning, I kinda see that as saying "I enjoyed this game enough to play it for nearly 400 hours before getting bored". :)They're going to rotate the warpgates in future in each patch, to keep things a bit more fresh.

haha yes, i was going by what Steam was saying, it only says 207 hrs played but i knew it hadn't been recording all of my playtime but didn't realise i'd put quite so many hrs in.

I think the problem is that i've taken part in battles that have lasted an afternoon and have been victorious only to log a couple of hours later and have lost the base again. I know there's talk of continent locks and theres a new rush lane system been developed but there's other things that have no real consequence, death been another one.

Thats not to say i want perma death or even longer spawn times but they need to have some way of dying having an imapct on the battles. If i die i respawn at a nearby Sunderer or base and i'm back in the same fight within 10 seconds, perhaps even killing the guy who just killed me. What that means is that zergs rule since numbers trump strategy/tactics in most fights. Playing in an Outfit may alleviate this a little but numbers will still rule.

The warpgate rotation is a funny one, the next rotation will see TR back in the north on Indar where we started, the other factions had complaiend about the south east warpgate and now i can see why. Add in any population imbalance and getting out of our corner is nigh on impossible, the faction with the lowest percentage is uaully ganged up on further exasperating the problem. Whilst i have no hard numbers it is well known that people jump faction to the sides with the momentum again addiing in populations swings to the mix.

When it works Planetside 2 is amazing, i run on a minimum spec machine but the large battles are still relatively breath taking and i'll often stop and take in them scene, its unfortunate that i don't have hdd space to record. I play Infiltrator and Heavy most of the time and sniping is easy-ish (i previously came from DayZ wheres its hard) and satisying and the TR heavy weapons are nice and meaty.

These are quite nice vids btw, 4 so far

• 2 months later...

I totally forgot about this and was pleasantly reminded by a (NOT ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE) trailer on TV yesterday. Back when it was released I was in a hotel four nights a week with no net but have since bought a killer laptop which should run it easily, so I'm going to download it tonight and make myself a combat medic.

Anyone still playing? What side have people picked? Is there a regular forum night or anything set up?

Anyone still playing? What side have people picked? Is there a regular forum night or anything set up?

I still play pretty regularly, but as far as I know we don't have a forum night set up. I think there was something, but people were playing as the TR and I really wanted to go NC.

If you make an NC character on the Euro server I'll definitely hop on and join you. No idea why they did a CGI trailer though; PS2 running on a good rig is one of the best looking games I've ever seen!

Cool. I've not really looked into the factions - are the differences more than cosmetic? I don't really mind which faction I am but if we can get a regular forum night going and everyone is TR then I'll go TR, although NC sound cool.

Would anyone be interested in setting something up?

Cool. I've not really looked into the factions - are the differences more than cosmetic?

The factions have a pool of common weapons and vehicles, but each has its own unique weapon and vehicle variants. I definitely recommend the NC. :) For freedom!!
  • 1 month later...

I just have too much to play and not enough time! Its going to be available for launch on PS4 and F2P.. Hopefully with cross platform play, which should get a boost in player count later in the year.

I should try and fire it up again, I've not even seen the other continents since beta finished. But, I find I only enjoy games like this when in a proper clan, and I just don't have the time to dedicate any more :(

The game's best quality is it's Achilles heel - it looks amazing but it needs a pretty good spec PC to play. Very few people I know seem to have computers which run it acceptably (they seem to be preferring right now to play the variety of older console ports etc. on Steam which run flawlessly on their machines, than a higher spec game at 30fps).

I'm still playing despite my previous misgivings. :P

The last couple of updates have seen some improvements and in particular the 'rush lanes' which work a lot like the old lattice system in PS1 (apparently, I never played it). Only implemented 100% on Indar atm.

Because you can only capture certain bases from the bases you control, battles are more concentrated and it kinda feels like everyone's got somewhere to aim for. A redesign of The Crown means the action is spread about a bit as its not the easily defensible base it once was. I do miss the meat grinder of old (on the defensive side anyways, I never assaulted) but there's good fights to be had elsewhere now.

Alerts and Ribbons have helped with cert gains aswell, not massively perhaps but as a none subscriber it all helps.

I've also changed my play style aswell, before I ran as an Infiltrator or Heavy Assault but I've put some certs into Light Assault and Medic which give me some variety in different situations. Also been Infiltrating more as opposed to sniping, feels good knifing someone in the back. :D

The problem is they're not exactly original ideas, I'm sure many people have had 'wouldn't it be great if they did this or that' kind of ideas; its if they get round to implementing them and in what form they actually end up been. The roadmap has had lots of things bumped and dropped.

Its other 'strength and Achilles heal' is the fact that they seem quite happy to continue to develop the game but also seem to rush things and break 2 things for every one thing fix or introduce. That maybe par for the course with mmo's but when they're bringing new stuff out every couple of weeks it feels broken more often than it should. The last couple of updates have been a bit more stable but daft stuff still needs hotfixing within hours of a new patch.

Would that be a problem with a game like this? I'd expect a lot of players since it's free to play.

True, but Planetside is a game of scale and spectacle; an injection of new players, and generally having more players would be great. Plus, there are those of us on PC on RLLMUK who would love to play with others who are getting PS4s.

Good decision. Don't mix pad and kb/m players (try playing a popular PC FPS online with a pad, you will get screwed) and given that it is free to play on both platforms, they won't have issues with numbers of people wanting to play. Gameplay balance and everyone using the same hardware and control methods are good reasons to stop it mixing with PC.

• 4 months later...

Great patch for this out yesterday with nothing but a zillion nice performance improvements. Instantly went into a 100 man crosscountry fight and it kept a solid 60 fps the entire time and looked absolutely jaw dropping. Nothing really captures the feeling of being in a war like those moments IMO, even BF4.

• 7 months later...

Hossin is finally released, sort of:

Right now about 50% of the bases on Hossin are done to the point that were completely satisfied with the quality of the level design and visuals, about 25% of the bases are first pass youll be able to recognize these bases by their naming scheme, and another 25% are bases which are more or less staging areas, or stamped bases, identical to each other this is an outpost we know works well, so weve put them in as placeholders. We expect these bases to function correctly, provide all the necessary utilities to make the game work theyre just not 100% up to our standards of level design quality quite yet essentially they feel more like the bases on Indar than the bases on Amerish.

There isnt any other way to say it except to say that Hossin is not finished. If we wanted to finish Hossin without sacrificing the quality level weve established, it would probably be 3 months before it was ready to go live we dont want to wait that long, and we dont think you want to either.

• 7 months later...

I am actually quite interested in this on PS4, provided it isn't overloaded with ludicrous pay-to-win mechanics. Got the closed beta email as well so signed up for that (although I could have sworn I already signed up for it ages ago).

Same here, defi signed up to it before - used to play the original on pc so very interested to try it again.

Just got an email from whomever SOE are now. They're taking applications for closed beta again, plus something about a Guinness world record for number of concurrent persons in a single first-person battle (1,158 apparently).

Yeah go this too and signed up - fingers crossed its not long until the beta now and I get in!

They recently, officially broke the world record for concurrent persons in a single fps battle.

I say "officially" because each continent server has a player cap of 2000, so the previously held record was regularly broken every night on each server but was never officiated by people from the Guinness World record company.

I take it they're attempting to break this record again during the open PS4 beta?

They recently, officially broke the world record for concurrent persons in a single fps battle.

I say "officially" because each continent server has a player cap of 2000, so the previously held record was regularly broken every night on each server but was never officiated by people from the Guinness World record company.

I take it they're attempting to break this record again during the open PS4 beta?

I doubt PSN could handle 2001 players online at once

You quip, but I don't see where PSN is involved in this particular thing, beyond the authentication it's already doing.

Is there any need to sign up for this again if you already did previously? Pretty sure I signed up for beta months and months ago. edit - oh, it's just an email address, signed up again just in case.